The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Heatwave and water retention
16 Jul 2013, 00:40
Is anyone else getting water retention in the heatwave (wherever in the world your particular heatwave is)?

I KNOW my weigh plateau is water retention as I can see it in my ankles, but I don't want to put a false figure on my tracker. The weight retention isn't caused by my usual suspect, wheat as I haven't had any for 4 days. All thats different is the heat.

Is anyone else finding this, or are you losing better than ever because a salad is all you can stomach.
I posted something a few weeks ago about the same issue. It was 90+ and oppressively humid in my part of the states. I gained three ish but lost it. I think the body holds on to the water instinctfully to cool the body down. Once you get used to the heat and drink additional water it gets better.
I've been having quite a problem with swelling of the ankles recently, exacerbated by the hot weather. It is not a pretty sight! I am on meds. for high bp so that is partly to blame, as it seems to be a common side effect. Feel too hot wearing trousers so skirts and dresses are showing my thick ankles to full advantage! I am off to Sardinia in a couple of weeks and am not looking forward to going about with tree trunk legs - help!
I can't get my rings on and they have been fitting comfortably. The scales were down this morning -but the fingers are still swollen .
Definitely! We had a heatwave last month and I was swollen and didn't lose. When it was over, I lost. Now we're at it again.
Thats a relief. Having your body hold on to the water in case of need sounds like a plausible idea. I have my fingers crossed that in 4 weeks when its all over my weight will plummet.
Since the high temps and humidities started here in England I have not lost any weight. I am not eating as much but drinking lots of water and have been usually losing 1.3 lbs a week.
Not noticed any significant swelling of legs or ankles but I still put it down to either water retention or reduction in activities. I find its too hot to go for my normal walk let alone the jog which I do sometimes.
I hope your right, Clairemarie, about the body getting used to the high temps; its been two weeks and no end in sight; they say at least another four weeks. The papers are talking about it being longer than the heatwave we had in 1976 !!!
What really makes it a total bummer for me is that this is our 18 month cycle where we don't go on holiday abroad (we usually go in May, then the year after September, but the next hols would be May 2 years later). So this year is the long gap (though its exactly the same length, it feels longer) and we would normally have gone to the beach or into the mountains for a lake visit and a bit of swimming, but because I can't travel more than 20 miles without me being jacked up to a TENS machine, we can't really go anywhere without a lot of planning and maybe an overnight stop in an emergency if I can't travel. It could get expensive and expensive is not affordable right now.
Again the 90's all week here. I can't stand it! I don't know how the other parts of US can tolerate 100+ temps. My genetics just won't let me tolerate this. Truly after last wave of heat I did drop the pounds and had increase of urine(sorry)...Idea for you all...get kiddie pool and fill with cold water and bring a chair close and just let the cold water cool your feet/ankles. It will bring your body temp down. Or water the garden and then yourself. Applying cold water to all your pulse points helps.
Hi I'm new here at the forum, and this is my first post (yaay!) I'm nearly a month into 5:2. I'm from the UK originally, but currently living in Switzerland - lucky me - except that it's been up in the 30s for the last 2 weeks. And unsurprisingly, time of the month coupled with heatwave and I've lost no weight at all the last 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's all water retention - somehow I can just feel that "heavy" feeling when I get up in the morning.

Anyway, it's cooler today and I'm having a herbal tea day (it's not a fasting day for me, so I'm eating too!) to see if I can turn around and get rid of this. I have read that probiotics can help too so I'm going to give that a go as well.
I just look at my feet and ankles and can see the difference. Tomorrow morning, I WILL take a photo of 'drained' feet and the next time I get bad water retention I will post the two next to each other. Though i will give them a horror rating, I do NOT have pretty feet.
The heat is no good for me.

It's making my bedding plants grow but doesn't help otherwise.

5;2 is on hold unfortunately together with summer cold.
You know I think the herbal tea day did really work - I basically lost 1 kilo in a day - which has to be water, can't be all fat (wish it were!) So anyway - nettle tea, or nettle combined with other stuff tea seemed to do the trick - had 3 mugs of that, about a litre of water and only 2 cups of real tea and seem to be back on track. Yaay!
Comforting for me to read that I am not alone in experiencing fat ankles and weight gain. Thanks to all for their posts.
(This should also go on "fasting today" topic.)

We have just got home from a week in Leipzig where it was fearfully hot too. Ankles swelled particularly after journey back to UK with lots of sitting....had walked a lot for wonderful sight-seeing and sweated loads too. We did not worry about fasting and didn't want to eat much apart from fruit, ice cream, only little bit of chocolate! but started each day with a healthy hotel breakfast in the cool of the day. But not OTT and

are certain that our control and relaxed attitude are due to our training on 5:2 since Jan. :heart:

Clothes all the smaller sizes of course and still fit comfortably,even loosely, BUT scales are up 3lbs and ankles puffy every day once I am up and about. So, I am hoping that I will lose this once it's cooler although this heat might last a while yet. Thank goodness I have effortlessly kept off that 20 lbs extra I was hauling around before 5:2.!
Meanwhile I am fasting today and happy to be back on track. Drinking lots of water and will try the herbal teas recommended in your posts.
Took notice too that carbohydrate intake can increase water retention, and we did have more than usual breads at breakfast and all that fruit. Must relax and enjoy the warmth and bright light somehow! :smile:
Taking on more water than the Titanic here!
16 posts Page 1 of 2