The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
An orthogonal world
16 Feb 2016, 23:07
The idea for this post arose in the recent weight loss challenge (regarding the international date line) when I realized where I'd been in the world in terms of being the farthest north, farthest south, farthest east and farthest west.

You'll need access to a globe to do this correctly. To post your reponse consider your boundaries being set by your having spent at least one week there, which means that your current home is somewhere within the boundaries of that potential vastness. In the middle ages people could live their entire lives traveling no more than 6 miles (~10K) from home. Time have changed ~slightly~ so it should be interesting to see the spectrum of smallest to largest traveled areas.

For me the farthest:

East: Barcelona, Spain (as a toddler)
North: North Dakota (staring at sunflowers to the horizon in all directions).
South: Big Island, Hawaii.
West: Kauai, Hawaii

Consider this an excuse to get out and travel more!
Re: An orthogonal world
17 Feb 2016, 02:28
Where I've been:
North and West: Whistler BC
South: La Canada, San Antonio de Belen, Costa Rica, lived on a farm there a long time ago, so beautiful
East: La Chaux-de-Fonds, traveling with a watchmaker, it was very cozy.

Where I dream of going:
North: Shetland Islands (possible)
East: Lake Baikal (fat chance)
South: Sri Lanka (unlikely)
West: Hawaii (now we're talking)
17 Feb 2016, 03:20
ADFnFuel wrote: The idea for this post arose in the recent weight loss challenge (regarding the international date line) when I realized where I'd been in the world in terms of being the farthest north, farthest south, farthest east and farthest west.

You'll need access to a globe to do this correctly. To post your reponse consider your boundaries being set by your having spent at least one week there, which means that your current home is somewhere within the boundaries of that potential vastness. In the middle ages people could live their entire lives traveling no more than 6 miles (~10K) from home. Time have changed ~slightly~ so it should be interesting to see the spectrum of smallest to largest traveled areas.

For me the farthest:

East: Barcelona, Spain (as a toddler)
North: North Dakota (staring at sunflowers to the horizon in all directions).
South: Big Island, Hawaii.

Consider this an excuse to get out and travel more!

fun! :smile:
East: Newfoundland, Canada
North: McKinley Park, Alaska (Denali)
South: North Island, New Zealand (probably also furthest East)
19 Feb 2016, 13:02
This is fun!

North: Stockholm, Sweden (though maybe a trip to Norway but we travelled around so not sure if I spent a week further north than Stockholm or not!)
South and East: South Island, New Zealand (6 week holiday)
West: San Antonio, TX (a week, so just qualifies)
19 Feb 2016, 17:51
East - Australia
West - Hawaii
North: Orkney Islands -- well if you're going to say a whole week, then Scotland generally.
South: Australia

Now BruceE has been all over. He's been to Orkney, Sweden and northern Canada in the north. He's been to Chile and Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in the south. He's been from Hawaii in the west, to China and Australia and New Zealand in the East. And yes, He's spent a week or more at these places, with the exception of New Zealand and Orkney, which was just a day or two.
19 Feb 2016, 18:13
This required some investigation! Co-ordinates can be deceptive.
North. Dead heat between Dornoch Scotland and Gothenburg Sweden. Think Dornoch just pips the post.
South. Johannesburg South Africa
East. Oman UAE.
West. Portland Oregon.

Have plans for this year that will push me further east.
20 Feb 2016, 05:21
North: The UK, home of many friends!
South: Melbourne
East: Brisbane
West: Seattle
Okay, so I'm not totally certain I've spent seven consecutive days in the last three places. The Australia trip was 26 years ago, and I go to Seattle a lot to visit family.
I want to give a special shout out to Rapa Nui (4 days), the most remote inhabited place in the world (as measured by distance to other inhabited islands).
Thanks, @ADFnFuel. Great idea.
EDIT: My son has pointed out, seeing me playing this game, that "furthest east" and "furthest west" are quite arbitrary. And that the International Date Line isn't even a straight line. Thought I'd pass that on....
20 Feb 2016, 10:46
North: Kittelfjäll (fjäll/alp in Sweden)
South: Fort Myers, Florida
West; LA and san Diego, California
East: Seul, South Korea (a little more east than Hai Phong, Vietnam)

Wanna go:
North: Never!!!
South: Manchu Pinchu
West: Hawaii
East: Vietnam and Korea again
8 posts Page 1 of 1