The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

74 posts Page 3 of 5
Re: Mental health
10 Jun 2013, 09:41
My wife was on Atavan for a good few years (it all started with an undiagnosed thyroid problem) and it took her 18 months to come off one tablet a day!

Then she went onto Seroxat - which was almost as bad.

The withdrawal symptoms were pretty horrific, looking back - so I hope it goes well for you, imcountingufoz. Take care!

B&W
10 Jun 2013, 10:03
I have had 2 serious periods of depression in my life - medication the first time round (20 + yrs ago) , counselling the second (12 yrs ago). I can well recognise the signs of when they are on their way (in fact I'm thinking in the past week or so, that there's one on the way now). However, I count myself lucky that I can now recognise them and have a fair grasp of how to turn myself around. The biggest thing for me all those years ago was admitting that I needed help (had 2 young kids at the time and I started to fear for them if their mum was spiralling out of control, so knew I had to speak to someone/do something about it). I truly feel for people going through it - as has already been said here on this thread, if it was a physical condition then people are far more tolerant/understanding/symphathetic - but mental illness (which I now realise is also physical in that it's often a chemical imbalance in the brain) has far more of a stigma about it and you find out who your true friends are. Can't say any more at the mo, I start welling up. xx
10 Jun 2013, 10:18
Hug Suchard007
10 Jun 2013, 10:26
Hugs from me too Suchard007, I know the feeling all to well. Hope you are OK.

imcoungingufoz - withdrawal symptoms varies massively from person to person, in my experience. Go with the medical advice, and keep in contact regularly with your doc, if he/she is approachable.

You may not notice any difference at all coming off slowly. Or you may, in which case you will find a way to deal with it at that time. We'll be here if you need a cyber scream or hug!
10 Jun 2013, 10:36
My 15 yr old daughter has Asperger's syndrome (diagnosed 5 yrs ago) and so we are very aware of 'unseen illness' in our family. When she was younger we got fed up with people tutting when her behaviour was difficult. A woman in a supermarket once announced at the top of her voice that a seven yr old shouldn't be having temper tantrums! As if it was anything to do with her!!

As an Asperger's kid she has a higher chance of developing schizophrenia and bipolar disorders. Everything's fine at the moment (the onset of puberty was a worrying trigger point to get through) but time will tell. She's such an amazing girl, extremely bright and predicted to get all A's and A* in her GCSEs. We are so proud of her!

I'm glad that you felt comfortable enough to post here Jaine. Xx
10 Jun 2013, 10:59
Thank you for starting this thread Jaine, and thank you to everyone for sharing your stories here. I have a 19-year old daughter who suffers from anxiety which seems to be an all too prevalent issue in today's world. I totally agree what has been said so far, mental illness should be no different from a physical illness as far as talking about it is concerned.

What a wonderful, friendly, courageous and supportive group we are here! :heart:
10 Jun 2013, 12:34
I have just stopped my anti depressants Citalopram after being on them for 3 years. I did it over 3 weeks and had a bit of a headache but that was it. I am now completely drug free. I have also been on various anti psychotics but wow they made me so ill. I was like a zombie, could not work or anything and had the most awful side effects, one which made me end up at A&E. for the first time in ages I want to see how I am without anything fuddling up my brain. I have been on various tablets since I was in my early twenties. Prozac was the first one.
Good luck anyone coming off them.
Jaine
10 Jun 2013, 12:50
What a thread - good one for starting it Jaine, and all the best with staying off the tablets.

I've just found out my brother was having a few problems - not sure how serious but things getting on top of him etc although he says its better now. I felt terrible for not knowing but we're not massively close so it's understandable that he wouldn't tell me.

Reading something like this makes you realise how many of us are carrying round a lot of invisible baggage. I certainly have never had anything serious but like most people I have periods of feeling pretty low and can't begin to imagine how it must feel to be like that all the time. I've always hated it when people say 'Cheer up love, it might never happen!' (I must have a miserable face!) - I always feel like replying - WHAT IF IT ALREADY HAS?! (I hate confrontation so would never say it) People have no idea what others deal with day in day out and this 'pull yourself together' attitude can be so harmful.

Interesting to those that have noticed improvements since starting 5:2 - sounds like it could do with being explored by folks who do medical research.

All the best, everyone!
10 Jun 2013, 12:55
Like another poster said, I will stand up and be counted as well.

I have been suffering from anxiety for the past couple of years. It's not absolutely debilitating but something which occupies my thoughts most of the time. It's been worse recently.

I am in the final year of my PhD so I'm hoping that things will get better once I finish and the stress is off a bit.

I'm not on any medication, am trying to avoid it, but if things significantly worsen from what they are now then I will need to ask my GP for something to help me cope.

For now, taking one day at a time, trying to get out and about as much as possible. Exercise seems to help too.
10 Jun 2013, 14:47
Thank-you Jaine you shouldn't be surprised by all answers and support we all know someone simular to you and your problems, that's life I think
Good luck with you're journey. :clover: Sue
10 Jun 2013, 15:22
Hello!!

I was thinking of posting something similar!!

I have OCD, which I don't tell people about because they think it's just hand-washing and organising cushions correctly.

I do have a thing with symmetrically, both with objects and also how people touch me, but that's when I'm having more of a bad period, or if I'm very tired or stressed. For the most part it manifests itself in anxiety, or obsessive and unwanted thoughts (particularly morbid ones)

I've had OCD my whole life and different tics come and go. For the most part I have control of it, but one of the reasons for changing my diet was that about 4 months ago my tics (which are usually internal or discreet) starting getting more physical, even verbal. Transient tic syndrome, basically tourettes, was what I found it to be. I started to figure out it was due to sugar!

Now that's pretty much gone (unless I have too much sugar or caffiene) but I have found that not eating for too long brings on my anxiety a little, which then brings on OCD tics. I wonder if that's sugar level, blood pressure or what? I would love to be able to do a fasting day with no breakfast or snacks to get the best out if it, but I get nervous of the weirdness creeping in.

Anyway, I hope this way of eating helps you!

Luck and lalas!
10 Jun 2013, 15:36
We will have to start the La La 5:2 club ;-)
10 Jun 2013, 16:49
I have had anxiety over the years, and what has changed things for me is cognitive behavioral therapy. It's a life saver, and the great thing about it, is that once you get started with it, you can work at it yourself.
10 Jun 2013, 18:06
Turning out to be a busy thread Jaine!! We have a range of mental health issues in our family and I have seen friends suffer and also have had bouts of depression myself. It's all around us definitely and yet it can be really difficult to get the right treatment(or any treatment!). Thanks for starting this thread and for everyone's great posts. Group hug!! :grin:
10 Jun 2013, 20:04
I've suffered depression and anxiety for 22 years now, since I was 14. I had a few years on antidepressants after I lost my daughter (stillborn very prematurely) but eventually felt the need to wean myself off them to see if I could cope without. So far I've been off the pills about 4 years and life has it's ups and downs as ever but mostly I'm coping, for now.

I've been really lucky,I was upfront with my bosses at interview and they have been very supportive, even when I was going through withdrawl from the prozac. It's not an easy journey but it's mine and I wouldn't be me without my issues.
74 posts Page 3 of 5