The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

74 posts Page 5 of 5
Re: Mental health
02 Jul 2013, 12:45
The testosterone does decline as the ovaries stop working, so do the other hormones. But the adrenal glands carry on working, so your Testosterone is now higher than your Oestrogen and Progesterone. Its the balance that's important, not the overall amount.
If it doesn't balance I guess I will be on testosterone for the rest of my life.
02 Jul 2013, 12:50
Julieathome wrote: The testosterone does decline as the ovaries stop working, so do the other hormones. But the adrenal glands carry on working, so your Testosterone is now higher than your Oestrogen and Progesterone. Its the balance that's important, not the overall amount.
If it doesn't balance I guess I will be on testosterone for the rest of my life.

Oh, that makes sense. Hope it works out for you.
07 Sep 2013, 15:08
It's been a worrisome couple of weeks for our extended family as a very dear person had a somewhat scary episode that made us worry that a recurrence of the manic phase of bipolar was happening--after 20 years of being on an even keel. Things have returned to normal with the doc opining that it was a "blip" caused by stress. Behavior is ok now.

The stress was caused by a weekend attended by family, including a very neurotic, graceless person around whom everyone else walks on eggshells, hoping to avoid an embarrassing public or private temper tantrum. Good has come out of the whole thing, however, in that we now realize that there is no need to see this person except for "obligatory" family events (Thanksgiving dinner, weddings, graduations, etc). Voluntary gatherings in resort areas (Berkshires in Western Massachusetts, for example) need no longer be on our calendars.

It's galling to think how many years this person has been able to control the behavior of others by using the implicit threat of a tantrum. No more.

Thanks for listening.

Marybeth
07 Sep 2013, 15:13
A Marybeth, that must have been a rough time. Bipolar is very scary for all. So glad you have all come through it, got to the bottom of it and have a plan of action that.ll be good for you all!
07 Sep 2013, 15:51
Let the person have the tantrum, just observe quietly. The only person who looks difficult is then said person.
07 Sep 2013, 15:59
Yes - certain people can be 'toxic' and bad for you in the same way as certain foods and drugs can ... they are usually highly manipulative and high maintenance and suck all the energy and vitality from all around them. Pleased to hear that things have been sorted Marybeth, and hope your loved one will be none-the-worse for the experience :heart:
07 Sep 2013, 18:34
Thank you all. As a family group, in recent years we seem to have been doing what you suggest, BBT, as regards the "minor" tantrums, consisting of rants and lectures mostly about geopolitics. I noticed a couple of years ago that when the lecture was over, the rest of the group just resumed its conversation rather than responding.

It's the major fights and the storming out of parties and restaurants (the result of usually-imagined affronts) accompanied by the tears of grown children that are really a problem, plus the angst that develops during the planning stages (constant changing of plans, taking offense, causing of controversies) for reunions that cause the more fragile person a great deal of stress.

Avoiding the toxic one as much as possible seems like a good strategy right now.

It's good to have a place here to vent and find good advice.

Marybeth
07 Sep 2013, 19:31
Silverdarling wrote: Yes - certain people can be 'toxic' and bad for you in the same way as certain foods and drugs can ... they are usually highly manipulative and high maintenance and suck all the energy and vitality from all around them. Pleased to hear that things have been sorted Marybeth, and hope your loved one will be none-the-worse for the experience :heart:

Yes indeed they can.

So sorry to see a few members here have been unwell....and have relatives unwell too.

We're just incredibly lucky as a family to be pretty much untouched by this.

My Dad is 83 and Mum is 75. I know they keep an eye on each other by playing scrabble; also bowls regularly. Altziehmer's (pardon spelling) is just incredibly nasty and however low I've felt recently I just thank God we've not had anything else far worse to deal with.
08 Sep 2013, 13:15
Thank you, David. How are you doing on the new career front A challenging time, I know--wishing you and parents the best.
15 Jun 2014, 09:20
I thought I would bump this topic as it has really good discussions about stuff many people don't like to talk about.
15 Jun 2014, 23:11
Hello@Janie thanks for posting and @wildmissus for bumping us up. I have not yet read every response but I think there are few families that live life without challenge. So we are not alone. I'll be back soon.

Sleep is calling!

Liz :heart: :like:
01 Jul 2014, 12:34
Jaine wrote: I have BPD (Borderline personailty disorder) In other words I am completely la la. :bugeyes:
Anyone else on here suffer with any sort of mental illness?
Obviously some people do not like to admit anything like this but I am a great believer that more people should be aware of mental illness. It still seems such a taboo subject but hopefully with people like Stephen Fry speaking out like he does amongst a few others it won't stay such a scary subject. :geek:

Jaine

Yep.

Depression atm.

(nothing sorted as yet Marybeth, thanks)
01 Jul 2014, 13:05
It's so often the way with mental health issues that I feel inadequate, not knowing what to say! I nearly turned away from this post, @david F, but I can't. I'm sorry you are suffering David, and I wish I could do or say something that would make it better. I once read hot baths and good deeds is the way out of depression but I'm sure it's not that simple. Sending love.
02 Jul 2014, 19:36
Thankyou.
74 posts Page 5 of 5