The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Pancake day
11 Feb 2013, 22:58
Love pancakes - very much traditional with lemon and sugar, but I like the idea of having some savoury ones first.
12 Feb 2013, 07:52
I really enjoy savoury pancakes. My favorite is ham and mature cheddar cheese but think I will try a blue cheese with chopped apple, raisins and sultanas later. :)

For sweet I usually like banana with some nutella.
Pancakes? Yay or Nay.
12 Feb 2013, 10:10
I'm fasting today but would like to cook pancakes later. A) anyone know the cals B) what to have with them?
Re: Pancakes? Yay or Nay.
12 Feb 2013, 10:24
There's already a thread on this subject where your questions have been answered! Why not head over there now? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=864
12 Feb 2013, 10:30
Apricot and banana pancakes

Serves 2 275 cals per serving.

60gm plain flour
Pinch salt
1 egg
150mls skimmed milk
1 med banana
1tbs apricot jam
2 tsp veg oil

Method.

Sift flour and salt
Add egg and beat with the milk till smooth.
Heat half oil
Pour in half batter and cook till golden.
Turn over and cook on other side.
Repeat the procedure.
Mash banana with jam and divide between the pancakes.

Savory cheese pancakes.

Serves 1
455 cals

1egg
1oz cheddar cheese
1oz flour
60ml skimmed milk
2 tsps veg oil
2tomatoes halved and grilled
4oz mushrooms sliced and poached in 1 tbs skimmed milk.

Method.
Beat egg
Add cheese four and milk
Heat oil and use mix to make 3 small pancakes.
Turn each pancake.
Serve with tomatoes and mushrooms.
Yum yum!
12 Feb 2013, 10:31
Maybe somebody clever could move this to the appropriate place for me.
Thanx.
12 Feb 2013, 22:10
Did anyone else not enjoy their pancakes as much as they thought they would?

After my first one I felt full (admittedly I do like mine on the thick side, probably about 3-4mm) and only made another because the cat realised we had pancakes and promptly reminded me that pancakes are one of her favourite things that she hardly ever has. So, I made another and gave her a bit, then ate the rest myself and sort of wished I hadn't as I felt overful and like I'd had no nutrition.

As a result I've now changed plans for tomorrow's fast - no bolognaise and pasta for me, I want chicken & lots of veg!
12 Feb 2013, 22:28
Really enjoyed my two savoury pancakes filled with chicken, bacon, mushrooms, peas and cheese sauce. Then had another two sweet pancakes with lemon curd. Now feeling rather full...
12 Feb 2013, 23:16
I had two pancakes, tonight - didn't need either of them after a filling meal of vegetable pie (recipe to come), but, hey ho! :D

The first one was just lemon and sugar - but the second one I covered with a dessertspoon of my homemade ginger marmalade, plus a drizzle of Benedictine and soya cream. Just wonderful. Then I spent the next hour feeling over-stuffed and bloated. But I'll do it again - probably next year! :lol:
12 Feb 2013, 23:27
Unfortunately, I'm not feeling great, too many pancakes earlier on and then I decided to have some chocolate too so I'm feeling overly full and a bit silly :(

Never mind, one day I will learn! In the meantime, I'm looking forward to my next fast day tomorrow :)
13 Feb 2013, 08:09
I had three savoury and one sweet pancake (I like them very thin, more like crepes).

The first one had a filling of about a teaspoon crumbled blue cheese with 1/4 of an apple chopped up and sprinkling of raisins. The next two had half a slice of ham in each and a sprinkling of mature cheddar. The sweet pancake was banana, sprinkling of sugar and about 1/2 teaspoon of Nutella.

I was full after that and certainly didn't need or want anything more. I actually could have stopped after three pancakes and not regretted it.
13 Feb 2013, 08:29
I didn't have any pancakes but this wasn't because I was eating carefully, quite the reverse. In fact I feel as if I yoyo-ed. Having had v few carbs since Sunday lunch (Monday was my fast day and I had fish + veg on Sunday night), we had some Chinese takeaway last night and not only did I guzzle a lot of that, I then grazed on fruit and chocolates for the rest of the evening. Then ended up feeling quite guilty...

Hardly a unique experience but I did wonder if the 'carb crash' was all the worse because I had been without them for so long (by my standards)? Maybe I should try to keep some modest intake of carbs going on feed days (I mean breakfast & lunch) - to avoid a feeding frenzy later. Does that make any sense?
13 Feb 2013, 09:01
Dominic - I think that makes sense. Balancing out the carbs throughout the day may help with the desire to overload later on.
13 Feb 2013, 09:26
Dominic I try to have a 1/3 of my plate with carbs. I do have 3 toasts the morning. If I don't have carbs at all I get mad with food later...Maybe have a modest intake and see if you feel better. I was on Dukan diet last year so I know how the feeling of trying to avoid carbs :(
13 Feb 2013, 09:28
I had 4 pancakes, some sugar, nutella, jam. Delicious!!!and I was fine
35 posts Page 2 of 3