The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

30 posts Page 1 of 2
I've been given some for Xmas, having worked up over time from 70% to 99%, and it is quite an experience to try the full cacao. A bitter yet fruity, velvet melting sensation, just the tiniest nibble followed by real coffee as it's so dry. I can't eat more than a single tiny square a day but I wonder if that may be slightly addictive!
How about you?
Love it!!! I occasionally buy myself different ones to try and savour the difference in flavours depending on where it comes from. It is definitely an acquired taste (like sprouts!!!), but I am keen. Never say no to Lindt milk chocolate though either :wink:
Think I'm going off chocolate. Give me sprouts any day!
Bean :bugeyes: :confused:
I have never tried this but we have a new Montezuma chocolate shop in town so do they sell it? because I am now tempted to try it! I do however have a bowlful of my favourite Lindt chocolate to work through :lol: in small amounts of course :wink:
Where can you get it? I love my 99% but the thought of ditching that last grain of sugar is so attractive!
I wonder if this is different is it from what we call Baker's Chocolate in the U.S.? That is a pure chocolate without sugar which you melt and then cook with. I use it for my brownies but wouldn't eat it uncooked.

I used to love the Lindt 70%, but they changed the formula 2 years ago and it no longer tasted as good. I think they switched to a cheaper vanilla flavoring. Not sure if that happened world-wide or just in the U.S. The shift occurred around the time they greatly expanded their product distribution here. Lindt used to be a specialty candy, then suddenly it was at all the checkout counters.
I have tried it once but found it too dry to be enjoyable. I eat 2 squares of Lindt 90% most days and it is plenty enough for me, although I secretly prefer the Green & Black's 85% as the chocolate tastes of better quality (well that's my theory). @peebles have you tried G&B?
I've just been into town & Montezumas do sell it & I tried a sample but found it very dry with not much flavour, rather like eating cocoa powder! So I don't think I will be switching to that but other manufacturers will probably taste different or have more flavour?
Nothing to beat Moser Roth 70% or 85% at most, but other chocolates are available ... Each to their own ...
rawkaren wrote: have you tried G&B?

I haven't tried that one. I had been so happy with the TJ's store brand 72% dark chocolate (the one in the green wrapper which you can also get with hazelnuts), so that has been mainly what I'd been eating. Lately it seemed to me that that one might have changed, too, making me wonder if it was from Lindt, since so many of the TJ's private label stuff is from premium brands.

I will have to give it a try, but not this next month. I'm going cold turkey with candy for a while as we went completely off the rails with candy this past month, and even though it was premium, really nice candy, I'm just too into eating it, so candy will be off the menu until the Super Bowl.
Well, of course Amazon sell 100 %. It is expensive stuff, but as my last Christmas extravagance …

I got a selection pack of 4 from cocoa runners, so I have 4 different types to try. Last night was "the chocolate tree", still to come Menakao Truly Madagascar, Francois Pralus "Le 100 % criollo", and "Chocolat Madagascar" by Robert Malagasy. The girl who turned her nose up at anything other than Cadbury's Dairy Milk is going to be a chocolate snob.

Being used to Lindt 99%, the pure stuff is not a shock, I like melting it on the tongue, but I think I will have to eat it earlier in the afternoon so it won't keep me awake.

So if these guys can make pure chocolate, why do Lindt put 1% demarara sugar in their strongest? Best conspiracy theory wins a prize.
Ummm....my latest "addiction": Alter Eco Organic 70% Dark Salted Brown Butter. Let it melt S-L-O-W-L-Y in your mouth...ummmmmmm.
IMHO up to 85% is eatable, but over that you could as well chew on raw cocoa beans LOL.
Milk chocolate I seldom eat, but as a gift (when I splurged on 100ml of REAL balsamic vinegar) I got 80% with lavender buds in it. Now that is pure heaven and I start to wonder if there might be some with rose petals anywhere in the world. Not here and my web search turned up nothing :(
70-85% max is now my chocolate of choice ...
... But I'm still partial to a passing Malteser or two! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:
30 posts Page 1 of 2