The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

19 posts Page 1 of 2
1 year since I found 5:2
24 Sep 2014, 09:03
I had my first fast just over a year ago. I didn't find it particularly hard as I spent most of it on a train. I was travelling 450 miles to a family funeral.
Fortunately, when in arrived at my sister's (where I was staying) she was following slimming world, so was eating low cal anyway.
Unfortunately I lost weight quickly and the stone I was aiming for was lost in 5/6 weeks. I was extremely happy and stopped fasting :shock: You don't need to think for long to figure out the result of that :oops:
It's been a bit of a tough year -
marital issues,
surgery for ka in nov,
Infected wound and 10 days in hospital miles from home just before Christmas,
Went to a friends wedding in jan and after that, decided 5:2 again, but I've been very hit and miss all year,
19 year old daughter is being assessed for aspergers,
Ka had major orthopaedic surgery in July, the wounds haven't healed properly and she has been in pain regularly since. Last week an infection caused the wound to break down, so she's had a further 2 surgeries to clean it up and stitch it back together,
We have also taken the decision to home school kerrianne. This is a massive undertaking, but it's for the best. Her respite centre closed on 31/8, and her new one is over an hour away and I don't particularly like it :frown:
So it's been a bit of a year!
I have tried to come back to 5:2 a few times after such a fantastically fast initial loss (this wasn't just water as I'd already lost 3 stone calorie counting) The problem was it was slower going and I wanted it gone last week. The stone I lost has been back and bits of it lost, down and up for months.
I have read articles on stress etc, and it may be true. But I think my biggest issues are lack of patience and hating failing. I'd rather not bother than fail.
But you know what? I'm not failing, struggling perhaps, but not failing! I am still here and I will do this at a more gentle, realistic rate. When I gain, it's ok. My body is a living thing and not a machine.
I was going to have my tracker reset, but have decided not to. It's quite daunting when you check out people's trackers and it's a constant downward slope. In my 28 years of dieting on and off, I've never managed a loss every week! Mine is a bit of a mountain range :wink:
What I have now decided is slow and steady, perhaps even bumpy, but that's pretty normal!
I will not give up a foodstuff (except anything low fat :wink: )
I will just eat more mindfully and carry on going.
5:2 has got rid of the fear of losing weight or the necessity of counting calories every day forever :shock:
I will just keep on keeping on, with the support of the lovely people I've met here xxx
Re: 1 year since I found 5:2
24 Sep 2014, 09:19
Well done honeybun, what a year!!
I like your routine, I'm with you on that, gently does it and hope for better times x
24 Sep 2014, 09:21
Hi @Karenm what a truly inspiring and humbling post. Gosh you are one strong woman and you have my total admiration for how you cope with it all. Glad you feel able to tackle 5.2 again and I underatand the feeling that it is less stressful to never try than to try and fail so well done for realising that 'not trying' perhaps should not be an option. Good luck with everything, the smart money will be on you,

Ballerina x :heart:
24 Sep 2014, 11:08
Oh wow - what a year!! I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all of that. I do agree that finding some ways to deal stress would be helpful. I know it's not for everyone, but I enjoy knitting. For one, it can be very relaxing (especially a mindless project like a scarf or a blanket) and for two, it keeps my hands free so I don't snack. It's no good getting grease, sugar or salt in your knitting. I'm not sure if you have a hobby you might find relaxing like that. But it's always good to take a bit of time for oneself, if possible.

I hope this year is much easier for you!
24 Sep 2014, 11:19
Full of admiration for you @karenm - you clearly have so much on your plate that you don't need any "dieting" stress on top of everything else...

My tracker is full of ups and downs, but that's why I like the lilac trend line! I will have been on 5:2 for ten months tomorrow....& although there have been big wobbles from time to time and often I haven't felt rewarded for my efforts/abstinence...the fact remains that I have stuck at this WOL for longer than I have ever stuck at anything & that has to be a good thing.

With everything that you are coping with, it is a minor miracle that you are tackling weight loss at the same time - so anything you manage is definitely a bonus.....however long you take.

We all need to remember that 5:2 is a lifestyle choice, so it is not a race anyway...we can lose weight gradually whilst coping with whatever life throws at us.

Karen, you are amazing...just the way you are. We are all behind you and beside you on your journey and will do everything we can to support you in whatever way helps xx

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
24 Sep 2014, 12:25
@Karenm Well I remember that train journey and your first day, and although it seems to have gone quickly so much has happened to you and your family in that year alone not forgetting the previous years of the problems you must have undertaken. However you're still here
well done on sticking with the forum and fasting, and the struggles we'll all "pull" each other through these difficult times of which there'll be many because you've already come a very long way and our longer journeys will sometimes be on the bumpy road but certainly one worth riding out. :heart:
Be very proud of all you've achieved Karen turn over a new leaf and yes we now need our goals to be more realistic
especially the xmas challenge.
Happy Fastiversary and long may it continue. :heart: :heart: Sue
24 Sep 2014, 12:58
Hi Karen, what a year! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best for whatever you decide re eating. Make sure you look after yourself.
24 Sep 2014, 13:14
@tracieknits I do crochet, and I've got a huge blanket on the go. I should drag it back out, but I might be frogging it and starting again as I was being regimental with the colours of stripes (it's a v-stitch) but I'm struggling to get the right colours to have enough to finish. It's just a bit heart breaking to pull it all out again!
We have also decided to try a more home made Christmas, so I have a little crochet bird pattern and I know the MIL wants another hat. We are going to take lots of home baked stuff with us too.
I have an issue to resolve and I have absolutely no idea how to! One of my sisters wants to come down for 3/4 days at new year. She's found a cottage to stay in, but wants us to go and stay with her. As my hubby was away for his mums 70th birthday and we are spending Christmas Day at home, we had pledged to go to his mums New Year's Eve for a couple of days. This gives me the opportunity to let my hair down and have a glass or two of mulled wine. But my sister would arrive on The night before and leave the day after. It doesn't help that she and OH don't get along :frown:
If it's not one thing it's another!
Families huh?
@sue.q I am worried about being over ambitious with the Christmas challenge. I have decided not to give anything up :shock: I am just going to plod along x
24 Sep 2014, 13:21
@Karenm, your year would knock out an army, stop them in their tracks. Well done keeping up and staying your ground. Love that old saying, "If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger!" Every good wish for you and your family. :)
24 Sep 2014, 13:33
Well done for keeping your sanity, humour, and sense after a year like that.

Best wishes for your next year of 5:2.
24 Sep 2014, 17:49
Well Karen, that's a tough one, isn't it?

If you must choose between the two, I'd choose the mum because who knows how many more New Years you will have with her. I would hope your sister would understand - and to help her do that I would make specific plans with her for another time. But then my sister would be understanding and she likes my husband.
24 Sep 2014, 19:10
You are an absolute brick @karenm! You knock spots off us all!
Very very well done, i am full of admiration for how you cope so well xx
24 Sep 2014, 19:27
You have had a tough time!I think it is quite perceptive of you to say it was 'unfortunate' that you lost weight so quickly the first time as it raises expectations. There are plenty of us plodding along with hilly trackers, come rambling with us we'll get there in the end
24 Sep 2014, 20:35
Hi @Karenm - what can I say? You cope with so much - hopefully some "time out" with us here on the forum will help you on your weight loss journey :heart: :heart:
24 Sep 2014, 22:21
Happy fastiversary buddie @karenm:party: :rose: :present: :rainbow: . This year really has been tough for you and the fact that you are still here and haven't regained all you have lost over the last few years is a massive achievement. Well done you x Sounds like you're in a really good head space regarding this WOL . Love what you said here:
Karenm wrote: I'm not failing, struggling perhaps, but not failing! I am still here and I will do this at a more gentle, realistic rate. When I gain, it's ok. My body is a living thing and not a machine.
I was going to have my tracker reset, but have decided not to. It's quite daunting when you check out people's trackers and it's a constant downward slope. In my 28 years of dieting on and off, I've never managed a loss every week! Mine is a bit of a mountain range :wink:
What I have now decided is slow and steady, perhaps even bumpy, but that's pretty normal!
I will not give up a foodstuff (except anything low fat :wink: )

Slow and not stressing over it all really does seem to be the best way to go. If we lose we lose, at least it's not going back on like it does when we start to stress about it.
Good luck as you continue, I hope we can help each other to have a healthier WOL :heart:
19 posts Page 1 of 2