The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: On the Move Down Again!
16 Aug 2014, 12:51
@chinchin,

I think the main thing for me at this point is that I don't want to limit what I can eat to where I feel deprived. Yes, it is nice to lose weight, but the deprivation eventually undoes us.

Years ago I followed a very restrictive diet for health reasons. Then I was diagnosed with melanoma. My immediate reaction was to think that if I was going to die, I was going to eat every single thing I had denied myself over the previous three years. Which I pretty much did. My melanoma was caught early enough that it turned out not to have spread. But I was back up to 172 lbs at the end of that year. The experience taught me that when I do get to my deathbed, I do not want to be mourning all the pastry and other delicious food I denied myself.

So the day that I can't lose weight in a a way that feels like I am NOT dieting is the day that I'm staying where I am and eating the way I have been for most of the last 6 months.

BTW, I was up again 2 lbs this morning, mostly from a salty lunch I ate yesterday, which I expected, but still on trend for a continued very slow loss.

The bouncing around on 5:2 is the other thing that takes some getting used to, since in other diets you tend to see a much steadier pattern. I'm getting used to it, and only get upset now when I see a 4 lb bounce, which was what was happening for a while during the last couple weeks.
17 Aug 2014, 13:30
Very helpful & encouraging thread, thanks Peebles. Interesting observation about the bouncing around on 5:2, I have noticed that as well.
17 Aug 2014, 16:08
There is the weight "loss" from the weight of the food not eaten on fast days. But there is also weight added from getting a bit plugged up due to fasting. I have definitely noticed that, too.

I'm not sure what the story is with salt and water retention. I was so consistent in gaining the exact same amount from the identical Chinese, salt-filled lunch when I was eating a stable, non fasting diet, that the additional gain I see after eating that lunch now is something of a puzzle.

Oh, well. I'd be tempted to say, "Stay away from the scale!" Except when I've done that in the past, bad things have happened. I have found weighing every day essential for maintaining weight loss. And using the app that averages the daily values helps, too. I wish I had a scale that would do that. And not show me those nasty fluctuations.
18 posts Page 2 of 2