The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

18 posts Page 1 of 2
On the Move Down Again!
15 Aug 2014, 15:55
I just wanted to chime in as I have just experienced that same weeks-of-nothing followed by a sudden loss phenomenon so many others here have experienced.

I had hit a low in the third week of July, after which I had bounced up and stayed up for a few weeks, with it looking like I had lost no weight at all for a whole month, since the start and end weights were the same. The Libra app Trend Line was showing a very slow downward movement measured in .1 lbs though at one point, even it turned up.

I kept fasting, and today I finally saw a new low, three weeks after the last one. I've dropped 3.4 lbs from the beginning of August. I know my weight will go up again after I eat, and especially if I eat any salty Chinese or Thai food, which of course, I will, as I love it. But it's good to know that progress really is being made, even though it's often hard to see.

I am noticing a very squishy feeling in my tummy fat, too, which I have seen people mention as a water retention thing, and I am often seeing water retention in the water % displayed by my Tanita body fat scale. Even so, my waist is a tiny bit less than before, which is wonderful, and would be a lot less if I weren't so squishy.

So the message seems to be, just keep at it. It also seems to be, relax a bit more on non-fast days. If I "stall" at this weight I will still be only one pound higher than my low for the last 15 years. I can live with that. And if I can lose some more body fat, that would be great too. The tummy fat is still more than I'd like it to be, but it isn't clear whether, if I lose any more, I'll be left with saggy skin. If so, I'm all done losing as I am at a healthy weight.

But I've gotten to where I have been feeling no hunger at all for the last couple fasts, too, which makes fasting very easy for me. Especially if I am busy, as I have been of late. So I don't see any reason to stop fasting for now. I may not make my goal for the Spring into Fall Challenge, because weight loss is slower now than when I was overweight. But if anyone had told me last January that I would weigh 138 lbs six months later, without feeling deprived, and having consumed quite a lot of my favorite, definitely not diet foods, I would have been dancing around in glee.

So a bit of glee is in order now, though as is so often the case with us dieters, I tend to be more focused on the weight I haven't lost yet rather than the remarkable amount I have.

Losing 13 lbs doesn't sound like a lot to many people, but to someone with a TDEE that is lower than the weight most younger people can diet at, it's a total miracle.
Re: On the Move Down Again!
15 Aug 2014, 16:06
Congratulations

As we know (and gets proven time and again) Stick-at-it-ability is one thing that is needed and usually rewarded on this way of life.
Even if you do get a bit of sag, you will have less of the bad fat in a bad place and your skin may tighten up over time, especially with some massage and exercise.
I would tag you but I can' t get rid of the banner (and have already lost one reply).
Congrats again.
15 Aug 2014, 16:14
@peebles. Congratulations! As you say, persistence pays :like: :like: :like:
15 Aug 2014, 16:25
Hurray Peebs! It Pays to be Patient! Welllllll done!
I like @AnnieWs description,Stick-at-it-ability!
15 Aug 2014, 16:28
Congratulations. Keep on keeping on is the only way.
15 Aug 2014, 17:19
Well, everything I've read suggests that the unsightly under-the-skin tummy fat has no impact on health. It's the visceral fat, which is under the muscular layer and surround your organs that is so toxic.

People who are insulin resistant tend to gain more of that visceral fat, especially fat within their livers, but the under-skin fat collects in people with normal insulin sensitivity. Though it can make them very fat indeed, and ironically, is much less cosmetic than the visceral fat which doesn't roll over the top of your jeans, it appears to be where estrogen is stored, so older ladies probably need a bit of it.

My fat is definitely the insulin-sensitive kind, uncosmetic, but not unhealthy. And I am hot flashing a lot more than I used to, and getting some estrogen depletion symptoms, so getting rid of too much more subcutaneous fat might be a mistake.

Plus, my goal is to maintain, and since I have never been able to maintain below 140 (though I did fine at 142) pushing too low could be a mistake since when I do regain it is all tummy fat nowadays.
15 Aug 2014, 17:43
Congrats @peebles. Sounds like you could be moving into the maintenence threads. Save me a seat! I have 1.4lbs to go since the start of Aug. I am waiting for the sudden dip, which has happened to me too every 4 or 5 weeks. Mind you, my visiting and holiday breaks have scupoered my weightloss this month too. But you are right, and I shall persist too!
15 Aug 2014, 17:53
If I can't enjoy my holidays and occasionally eat the meals I want, what's the point?

I have learned, the very hard way, that what I can eat on maintenance and what I can eat at goal are so similar as to make no difference. If I have to get too stringent to get to goal, I will not be able to maintain. This is the single truth that none of the bestselling diet books will ever tell people.

Which is why so few people can maintain. They deny themselves for months or even years to get to goal, with the underlying belief that at goal they can loosen up and enjoy food again, but as soon as they do loosen up, because they have pushed their weight down so low, that weight come right back on. This often induces such despair that people regain everything.

So I have to diet in a way that I can really, truly, with no self-deception maintain. Which means not kidding myself that I will ever be able to eat more than what I'm eating now.
15 Aug 2014, 18:08
Yes, that's it, having found a healthy food path including fasting, stick to it. Forever. Because why not? Gonna live forever ain't we :0)
15 Aug 2014, 19:20
Congratulations @peebles :like:
Well done for sticking with this WOL especially when the
"Going gets tough" you've been justly rewarded. :heart: :clover:
15 Aug 2014, 20:04
peebles wrote: If I can't enjoy my holidays and occasionally eat the meals I want, what's the point?

So very true, and the main reason why 5:2 / fasting is different from all other 'diets'. Fasting allows you to enjoy good food without facing the long term consequences.
15 Aug 2014, 21:35
Great philosophy peebles@

I have really enjoyed reading your various posts here and elsewhere about weight loss (and gain!). All very thought provoking.

I wish you all the best for maintenance/ a little more weight loss. :D
15 Aug 2014, 22:24
Thanks all of you for your very kind words!
16 Aug 2014, 00:01
Congratulations Peebles!!! I'm so very happy for you. Yay!!!
16 Aug 2014, 09:24
peebles wrote: If I can't enjoy my holidays and occasionally eat the meals I want, what's the point?

I have learned, the very hard way, that what I can eat on maintenance and what I can eat at goal are so similar as to make no difference. If I have to get too stringent to get to goal, I will not be able to maintain. This is the single truth that none of the bestselling diet books will ever tell people.

Which is why so few people can maintain. They deny themselves for months or even years to get to goal, with the underlying belief that at goal they can loosen up and enjoy food again, but as soon as they do loosen up, because they have pushed their weight down so low, that weight come right back on. This often induces such despair that people regain everything.

So I have to diet in a way that I can really, truly, with no self-deception maintain. Which means not kidding myself that I will ever be able to eat more than what I'm eating now.

Congratulations to you, good health and wonderful maintenance when you get there.

@peebles, I believe what you've said here is really how it is and so heartbreaking to deal with.

This WOL allows us to lose weight and our bodies to get accustomed to our slowly shrinking sizes and catch our skin up. We get time to think about what maintenance will involve for us individually, not what someone else tells us it will be like. I don't want fast and short term, I want slow and steady with permanently maintainable results. :clover:
chinchin
18 posts Page 1 of 2