The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone,

I need some motivation!! PLEASE.

I'm in a new relationship now and I've let myself go. I've been eating like crazy (probably about 3000cals a day :frown: embarrassing) and I haven't been fasting either. I haven't done a fast day for a couple of weeks. My clothes feel tight and I feel wobbly and fat. I've gone from 10st5 to 11st1. :cry:

The thing is, I find the fast days so bloody difficult. I'm trying today, it's nearly midday and I am so hungry I feel sick. I just can't seem to go the whole day on under 500cals :doh: I will get to about 5PM, and won't be able to last any longer and then start raiding the fridge.

Has anyone else been like this and what did you do?

Lil :heart:
Don't worry Lil, At first it will be very hard. Your hunger will disturb you. Just try to not think about it...try... do something outside, watch movies... after the first tough days, it will become a lot easier and the hunger will disappear. Trust me. You wont feel anything but stronger and more energy if you can get over those first days. It is strange isnt it? at first i thought it will make me tired and sick as hell. I have been on my diet for 9 weeks now and i feel very healthy and no feel of hunger. :) keep doing good job!
Hi Lil. I have gained 14lbs this year yet I have fasted minimum twice a week. The gain is for the same reason as you - overeating on non fast days. Apart from life getting in the way, I have been too rigid on things like eating windows which are popular here, but I just end up eating too much as I'm hungry when its time to eat. I tried to follow the crowd here but it just backfired on me.

My weight is now going back down again because I'm eating regularly - even on fast days I have two meals a day and I don't have the urge to overeat. I'm also extremely strict again about sugar and carb levels. So you are not alone but I'm not going to say 'never mind love', because you are the one that is control of what you put in your mouth and I'm a big believer in the application of the wet fish. :shock: :shock: :shock: So get back to it because you know it works. Good luck :clover: :clover: :clover:
How frustrating and upsetting for you Lil - tho hopefully the new relationship is at least something you feel good about. :)

Rawkaren's idea of eating earlier sounds worth trying - even if it is just a miso soup. On the fasting days that I find hard I just keep alternating drinks - black tea, then black coffee, then a fruit tea, then water, etc. Miso soup if I really need something.

I usually break the fast with a raw carrot or two, while I am preparing dinner. Work out in advance a meal that you find really satisfying for your fast day. Don't have any non-veg carbs if you possibly can. Recall how good you feel after a successful fast and keep reminding yourself of that thru the day.

I know this is a link to another website, but I find the daily thoughts very useful.
http://www.beckdietsolution.com/daily-diet-solutions/

Although I am on maintenance I do have days where I absolutely pig out too - I had one 3-day weekend where I reckon I had at least 2000 cals each meal!! So I knew I had to fast to avoid the 3kg gain becoming permanent (most was water of course) - and somehow I did - because I like being slim. Given your BMI, you are pretty slim too, so remind yourself how much you like that.

And perhaps find clothes that aren't tight - you probably don't need that as a reminder. Feeling fat may not help as a motivator?

Just tell yourself that you will do a fast and do it! Remind yourself of how you coped with fasting in the early days and use those strategies. If you don't manage today, try again tomorrow.

And finally, try not to beat yourself up about the overindulging. Things happen and on the whole this WOL IS relatively easy, compared to many other weight loss/maintenance eating regimes.

Thinking of you and sending good wishes.
Just tell yourself that you will do a fast and do it!

I like that. Come on over to the Fasting Today page, Lil and moan about it with fellow fasters. I'm having a difficult day too.
Good advice there @Lil
standing by with the wet fish... just saying'
;)
c'mon! You can do it if you want to
@Lil - I can't remember who used the term, but back in the days of my hunger pangs - reciting "Liz, the kitchen is closed" worked a treat for me, having a little tussle with myself actually made me smile. As others say - you can do this Lil :clover:
Hi Lil i too and for same reason as@rawkaren..overeating on feed days
Ok youve put weight back on but its pounds not stones
All you can do is grit your teeth and make a fresh start.get back to basics before the pounds creeps into stones. The basic 5:2 works and we know it!

@lizbeanit was@breadandwine who gave us " the kitchen is closed! A very helpful statement
Where is he these days? :confused:
Lil, oh dear, what a state you have got yourself into. Firstly, stop beating yourself up as that changes nothing. Secondly, on a fast day I find that if hunger is getting the better of me I have a small piece of protein say, a bit of lean chicken, a little bit of cheese or a couple of teaspoonsful of double cream followed by a black coffee or whatever hot drink I fancy but ABSOLUTELY NO CARBS til I have whatever meal I have planned for later in the day. That way you should not stop the fat burning process and the protein will not increase your hunger, unlike carbs which can send me into an eating frenzy and when I say frenzy, I really mean a FRENZY!!!! :starving: Think brown grisly bear out foraging and you will the picture. :shock: Hope you can sort things out so it becomes easier for you, good luck

Ballerina x :heart:
Funnily enough, My tum is rumbling already, I don't usually do breakfast so what's that all about.
Ok out comes the cleaning stuff gotta get busy. :confused:
Bal @ballerina yes! Just realised my Hunger Monster IS actually a big grizzly brown bear! This is no cuddly teddybear,he roars and carries on something wicked wanting carbs!always got his paws and snout in the honeypot! :confused: x
Hi All Can I just point out that people are tagging me rather than@LilSmiler in these replies. Just tagging her to draw her attention to all this helpful information.
My advice is keep drinking. When I feel hungry sometimes just 1/2 pint of water or sugar free squash will fix it. You just have to make your head try that 1st rather than food
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi Lil i too and for same reason as@rawkaren..overeating on feed days
Ok youve put weight back on but its pounds not stones
All you can do is grit your teeth and make a fresh start.get back to basics before the pounds creeps into stones. The basic 5:2 works and we know it!

@lizbeanit was@breadandwine who gave us " the kitchen is closed! A very helpful statement
Where is he these days? :confused:

@CandiceMarieProbably on hols or cooking up some yummy 52 recipe? My, that phrase, cutting out the carbs, reading everything on the forum, visiting daily and my buddy spanner ....... has delivered for me. Can I maintain with ease, only 2.4 lbs to go - let's see ................................... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Lil, good on you to ask for motivational help. Time to get back in the saddle, think that might be a Candy term? Crack the whip Lil :heart: :clover: :like:
@LilSmiler I am in the middle of getting back down after doing exactly the same as you. My way back has been to go back to what I did when I lost weight and didn't find it hideously difficult! I now have a big bowl of homemade veggie soup for bfst about 70 cals. This gets me thru to mid day then I eat either a mini protein bar or have an 8 cal hot chocolate. I have a bit of milk in coffee. Drink lots of black during the day (2 cups), then HUGE bowl of veg for dinner, low cal and filling. It's bloody hard to get back when you have got over it, but I have put up a sign saying Don't give up! (My wet fish). My advice is do what u did in the beginning, forget reading other methods, as Simcolove (sp) once said I could eat thousands of calories in 8 hours, so if u r that way inclined it's not good, eat filling low cal foods like veggies. Good luck to both of us, I'm struggling too.
@LilSmiler Not sure this will help you Lil but I gained more that that in one greedy holiday in May!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Each time we do this for whatever reason it becomes more difficult to gain control back therefore my advice:::
You're obviously happy and comfortable in your new relationship so forgive yourself immediately for that gain, then the harder part you need to knuckle down and nail one 500 cal fastday even if this is only 6:1 for now just so you're not putting to much pressure on yourself, on my fastdays when I must eat lunch/earlier I make myself a plate full of salad mostly leaves including one stick of celery and peppers and a small amount of feta cheese bringing it in well under 80 cals then a meal of loads of veggies with a curry sauce for evening meal because the veg are low cal and very filling.
That gain is not so very bad but does need dealing with before it escalates and doubles up, :clover: Good Luck Lil :clover: :clover:
19 posts Page 1 of 2