The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Airing a pair of new jeans
08 Mar 2013, 10:08
I can most easily measure my weight gain over the last 10-15 years in the waist size of my jeans. WAY back, over a quarter century ago, I had a 30" waist from around 18-20 years old but I settled into a 32" waist for a good long time.

Then I stopped lifting weights (body gave up) and developed an interest in cookery. That's not a great sudden combination of life changes to make. So 32" became 34", which I wore until I was turning purple if I had to bend over. The move to the 36" waist was a psychological nightmare because now I was wearing 36/34 jeans with the waist longer than the length.

This was the wake-up call I need to get into cardio and do something about my diet. I wanted to get my weight under control before I hit 40.

The move to the 38" waist was a less traumatic affair than the move to 36 inches. My 36" jeans were literally bursting at the seams, my belt stretched out like a piece of brown licorice, so it was 38" or compromise on breathing.

The last couple of years I've yo-yo'ed up and down somewhat but never moved out of the 38" zone. On top of that over the years I'd accumulated quite a collection of jeans - about twenty pairs ranging in size from 34-38". I gave most of them to Oxfam apart from what I was able to wear and a couple of pairs of unopened 36" waist no-brands that I swore I'd get into some day.

Well last weekend for the first time ever I was able to downsize my jeans, so to speak. I unwrapped a pair of the 36"ers and managed to fasten them up. Oh sure I wasn't ready for anything athletic, like sitting, but I was able to walk to Marksies (about a half hour round trip - exercise on a Saturday? Unheard of!) to pick up some fillet steak to celebrate.

It was like the sun was out and the bluebirds were singing in the trees, I was in such a great mood and it seemed to be rubbing off on whoever I met. Everyone seemed to have a smile on their face and I could hardly get out of the shop without getting nods and hullos.

Wasn't until I got home I realised that the cheap-ass jeans I was wearing had a fly that refused to stay up.
Re: Airing a pair of new jeans
08 Mar 2013, 10:14
That's a great story. I have a business skirt from 1985. My first grown up job. There is a photo of me wearing it with shirt tucked in. I can now report it does up easily and I could probably tuck if necessary. If it wasn't so 1980's daggy I could wear it to work again!
Thanks for sharing , I am inspired to shift the next kilo which has been a bit stubborn.
08 Mar 2013, 10:23
Great tale DashingBob - love it. :lol:
08 Mar 2013, 10:23
Great story thanks for sharing and for giving all the customers in M&S something to smile about.
08 Mar 2013, 10:25
:grin: Great Job Bob! And I'm sat here at work comfortably wearing a dress that I haven't been able to zip up for the past 4 years! It's like having a whole new wardrobe! I'm going to raid the loft this weekend and get down all those 'skinny' clothes that I just couldnt bear to part with
08 Mar 2013, 10:45
Congrats, Bob. Keep going and you'll soon be giving those new 36-inchers to your local charity shop, hardly worn. Provided the zip does do up, of course. :oops:
08 Mar 2013, 12:00
thats a funny story Bob and I know what you mean about the jeans.I have a similar pile of assorted sizes but I'm too cheap to give them away.I am determined all but the smallest will fit again at some point ,if only briefly In fact I'm wearing a pair now that had started to cause a breathing malfunction.I keep looking in the mirror at the slack around the waist. WEEEE
08 Mar 2013, 14:54
That's hilarious Bob, I really did LOL!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done on your shrinking waistline! :-D
08 Mar 2013, 19:51
Bob, that's brilliant! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. :grin:
08 Mar 2013, 20:42
Thanks Bob for making me laugh on a wet, cold dreary day, and I'm home alone. Cheered me up no end. Off to do some exercises now.
08 Mar 2013, 22:20
That's really funny! Thanks for sharing.

I have several wardrobes of clothes varying from a size 16 right up to a 24. I'm looking forward to ditching them all eventually for some 14's and a bit more closet space permanently. I think this WOE might be the answer!
10 Mar 2013, 09:36
Loved your story - really made me laugh!
10 Mar 2013, 10:07
Hesitant as I am to sound like a damp squib but the reality is that with ageing so the body changes shape and that mid drift can, and does with most people, slowly expand into the forty inches unless, of course, you are of naturally small build.

Here is another not dissimilar tale to your experience that is currently circulating the Internet if you have not as yet received it:

"Time is like a river; you cannot touch the water twice as the flow that passed will never again pass so enjoy every moment of life.

"As a bagpiper I play at many gigs. Recently, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Nova Scotia back country. I was not familiar with the territory and got lost and failed to seek direction.

"Finally I arrived an hour late and saw the funeral had passed and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left who were eating lunch. I felt bad and apologised for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I did not know what to do so started to play the pipes.

"The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man who was without family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless and lonely guy. When eventually I played Amazing Grace the workers wept. They wept; I wept; we all wept together.

"On finishing I packed my bagpipes and walked to my car; my head hung low and my heart was full. On opening the car door I overheard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothing like this before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

"Seemingly, I am still lost!"
13 posts Page 1 of 1