The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I used to like going for a run, but I injured my back and have been out of action for a while, unable to run. I do physio and rehab sessions 3 times a week, but it's hardly strenuous. But I miss getting out and covering distance. So I decided to go out for a walk last night. I tracked my results with an app I'd got, that allows me to try to track the distance I covered.

I decided to go as fast as I could comfortably walk, before I knew it I'd been out and back, in 1hr 33 mins I covered 6 miles, and according to the app I'd burned off 980 cals. Feel quite happy with the effort, more importantly I didn't ache today. Think until I'm pronounced fully fit, I'll be going for a wander a lot more often.
Well done :)

Under doctors orders (knee hurting), I am banned from stairs and walking for two weeks, and I wasn't up to your level by any means :) But from zero to a bit, I over did it !

What app did you use ?
Walking is excellent exercise,my OH and I use a Fitbit (one each obviously) it is a great motivator to get your level of activity up. Fitbit is a digital pedometer and we have a whole thread of users on here just search "Fitbit".
Good for you! Walking is great exercise and probably better than running (less stress on the joints). Since having ME I haven't been able to walk as far as I'd like which is frustrating but hopefully one day I'll be out rambling...and my poor dogs won't know what hit them!!
Love walking. I try to walk everywhere if I can. Good for you that you are finding a way around your injury. :like:
:heart: :heart: Hiya Splat Well done that's brilliant :heart:
I've always loved walking and due to health problems I'd all but stopped, But when I started this WOL earlier this year I did a walk on my first day only 2/3 miles and on my return I couldn't eat anything for quite a few hours so from then on I did this walk on each of my 3 fastdays all with the same feelings Brilliant my walks were acting as a suppressant :heart: My walks are now 6/7 miles and obviously the weightloss has made them not only quicker but longer and of no problem to actually do so as you said an easier and more enjoyable exercise to bridge the gap until you can
run again.
:clover: :clover: Well. Done + keep it up :clover: Sue :clover:
I am a very keen 'fast' walker, not quite as quick as you, 6 miles would take me aprox 1hr 45 mins but, yes I always feel great afterwards. I hate running but for those like it but are unable to do it then this is a very good substitute, in my opinion.

Ballerina x :heart:
SianS wrote: Walking is excellent exercise,my OH and I use a Fitbit (one each obviously) it is a great motivator to get your level of activity up. Fitbit is a digital pedometer and we have a whole thread of users on here just search "Fitbit".

Any further info on this "fitbit"? Is it an app or a dedicated gadget?
What do people think of walking poles. like those here

http://www.keenfit.com/

I bought a pair 2 years ago and have not used them yet. gulp. guilt.
They are useful if you're covering rough ground, or if your joints aren't what they were.

The type of walking I was doing, they'd just get in the way.
I would be very dubious of the app which says you burned 980 calories - fast walking is about 70 calories per mile, ie 420 cals, and if it is adding in base-rate cals this would make only about 500 in total. Still very worth doing, though, and the pace is better for burning fat than running...
I agree that the app is inacurate, but the distance is good, its GPS tracked.

I also would question your figure of 70 cal/mile as a flat figure. It varies in relation to body weight and speed.

Interesting article on this very sublect: http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm
I guess the basal metabolic rate is included in these figures, and you are certainly heavier than me so the real figure must lie somewhere between my 500 and your app's enthusiastic value. Anyway, agree walking is great exercise for losing weight and taking your mind off eating!
Hi Splat,
Sorry for the slow reply, we were out for a walk :lol: , 7 miles of combined towpath, mud and a couple of hills... oh and a pub.
Here's a link to the Fitbit online store http://www.fitbit.com/uk/store, but they can be picked up cheaper on ebay. There is a new wristband type Fitbit coming out soon, which will inevitably be more expensive than the existing ones.
I'm sure you know the British Heart Foundation has set 10,000 steps a day as their recommended level for heart health. Happy browsing
14 posts Page 1 of 1