The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Dont mean pelvic floor though thats always a good idea :oops:

Laid out a rug to start to use my weights. I dont have a bench so cant do anything that needs a bench.

What to do as i lay on the rug to help with middle. and yes i know your not supposed to be able to work single areas but if i pretended that i could what can i do.?
I have found the best abdominal exercises with Pilates. I did have a one on one lesson before starting as it is very important that you understand finding your "core" so that you are working the correct muscles, it is also very good for your back and posture if done correctly. :clover:
@SkinnyJeans, I agree about the pilates for the core.

What about the plank -

http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-plank-challenge/

...excellent for the abs but you really must engage the core otherwise you could hurt your back. I did try the challenge but couldn't get beyond 60 seconds. In our pilates class we 'zip & hollow' to engage our core. Zip up the pelvic floor towards the belly button and at the same time hollow/scoop the belly button to the spine and hold that throughout the exercise at 25% strength.
What about old fashioned situps? Have they gone out with elastic sided boots?

I have about 10 varieties of little weights .. can i use them in my routine on the floor. remember i do not have a bench.
Hi Juliana.Rivers I would not get so hung up about the tummy area. When you start exercising it is almost impossible not to train the tummy. Any stretching will be great. As SkinnyJeans mentioned Pilates is excellent - I do Yoga now as I couldn't find a Pilates class at a convenient time and the stretching exercises are absolutely wonderful. I only started it a month ago but I feel so great I am sorry I didn't start years ago. Every muscle is challenged including the tummy. I can only recommend joining a class of Pilates, Yoga or stretching whatever is available for you because you get taught the correct way and it makes you more determined to keep doing it at home. My balance has already improved and balancing exercises use every muscle in the body.
Here's something from the NY Times about that deep-inside visceral fat that might be of interest:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/1 ... -fat/?_r=0
Marybeth wrote: Here's something from the NY Times about that deep-inside visceral fat that might be of interest:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/1 ... -fat/?_r=0

Thanks @Marybeth. this answered my question about good old fashioned situps.

One exercise that will not slim your belly is the situp, despite entrenched beliefs to the contrary. Situps do not spot reduce the waistline, Dr. Hunter says, adding, “You’re better off going for a walk.”

However reading comments makes me think they are still useful e.g.

What situps do is tone the muscles in your abdomen. They are necessary if you want a flat belly. They won't make the belly fat go away, but they'll take away the sag that's left when you get rid of the fat underneath.

These article always sound like they're trying to debunk the situp or play GOTCHA with the situp, unmasking it as some kind of fraud.

You're probably not going to get a flat belly without doing situps. It's not enough just to get rid of the fat. You have to tone the muscles on top of the fat too.
Planking is best. Sit ups can push your stomach muscles outward if you don't do them properly, as you need to get the breathing right. Swimming also good. Best way to get rid of belly fat is to give up booze. :shock:
rawkaren wrote: Planking is best. Sit ups can push your stomach muscles outward if you don't do them properly, as you need to get the breathing right. Swimming also good. Best way to get rid of belly fat is to give up booze. :shock:

hehe re booze. mine i dont think is alcohol related. have about 2 glasses of wine per week, if that.
since being on 5: 2 that is

before it would have been 6 glasses a week.

i still think.. what would my weight, figure be like if i didnt do 3 "lean days a week" so even if you arent the slim trim person one may aim for think of the weight gain you havent endured.

so congrats to all who have avoided weight gain even if they arent at their ultimate weight or they havent the ultimate waist line
I went to my first ever yoga class yesterday. Apparently it is a 'gentle' form (I don't know the different types), but it definitely worked my abdominal muscles. I can feel them this morning!
10 posts Page 1 of 1