The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Wondering if anyone knows of a free app for my iPhone that will act as a pedometer by tracking my steps for the entire day (not just for a "workout") and if there is one that can tell I am standing as opposed to sitting.

I have a fitbit but it is on its last leg and am hoping that I can do this instead of buying a new fitbit.

TIA
Mobifit is designed for running, but I find the pedometer pretty good.

Paul
thanks, I will check it out!
I can't remember the name of the app, but I only used it for a couple of days because it absolutely killed my battery. I've got a fitbit flex now, which syncs to my phone and computer, and have found that works really well for me. (but of course was a big initial outlay)
Before I got my Fitbit I tried several different pedometer apps. I think the one I liked best was called footsteps or something similar. But, after trying at least 5 of them and comparing them to a regular pedometer ($15ish) I found them pretty lacking and inconsistent. OH and I would walk the exact same path several times a week and come up with hugely different results. The store bought pedometer was less inconsistent. The Fitbit is spot on consistent. HTH.
thanks, I have a fitbit Ultra but it doesn't sync with the phone and it is having troubles syncing with my new computer. I thought going the app route would be easier. I did download Pacer Free, and though not as accurate as the fitbit, it does remind me to move if I have been still for too long.

I will likely end up with a new fitbit, but I am holding out for something that will be able to discern sitting vs. standing as well, so I can get a more detailed view of my NEAT
The Fitbit sometimes stop synching right. There is a way to hard reboot it by hooking it up to your computer and holding down the button for a loooooong time until it manually resets. Check the site for more details; but I think it will fix your sync issues with the computer. It happens to me every once in a while. I have the One now; but I used to have an Ultra until it cracked and they sent me the new one for free. :)
I think the issue is that I need to unplug the dongle from the back of the computer when I shut the computer down. I have also discovered that there is a little place to stick a pin in the bottom of the dongle to reset it.

They replaced my stirrup for free when it broke, and my ultra has a piece chipped off of it, but not broken yet. I will cross my fingers, cause the one will talk to my phone as well.

I do still wish they could discern the difference between sitting and standing.
Cool. That's interesting about the dongle. My dd uses my old (cracked) Ultra sometimes so that may come in handy. I will have to check and see if the One has that for next time it stops synching up correctly. I stopped hooking my dongle up to the computer at all a while back. My One synch automatically with my Galaxy Tab and I just plug the USB of the dongle into the wall charger that we use for several other things (ipods, cell phones, bluetooth keyboard, tablets, etc. )
9 posts Page 1 of 1