The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Be kinder to yourself and practice self-compassion.

Internal motivation is better.

Read the "Antidote" One of the arguments in there is that you want "to feel you want to" go running when really all you need to do is just "go" running and by the time you start, generally you'll feel better. It's a subtle difference but generally I would only do stuff if every star aligned, whereas now I'll just make a start (mostly). :-)

http://www.oliverburkeman.com/books
BBT053 wrote: Be kinder to yourself and practice self-compassion.

Huh, self-compassion? Sounds dangerously close to self-pity, which clearly must be really bad thing. How do you mean?
I am not saying sit in a feckin corner and cry. Cultivate an adult relationship with yourself where you can sign up to something, deal with the external issues and deal with disappointment in a humane way. Beating yourself up is counter-productive.

http://www.self-compassion.org/test-you ... level.html
I would recommend doing fitness/sports activities with at least one other person. You motivate each other and make what might otherwise be a chore into something fun, or at least bearable!

I was one of those who caught the aerobics bug in the 1980s and ended up being an exercise teacher. I am basically lazy - if I didn't have to exercise I probably wouldn't, and having a class to teach you have no choice but to do it! When I eventually moved into work that had no connection with fitness or sport I became a bit of a couch potato. The last few years I've got back into the exercise habit partly out of fear of getting old and decrepit but also because I go with my husband, so we get each other out of bed and into the gym even when neither of us feels like it.

Checked out the link, can't say I'm attracted to the concept, a bit mushy and self pampering. Are you saying it's somehow more mature to sign up for e.g a race just to learn to deal with potential disappointments? I'm out to get a solid training habit, becoming a better person is a good thing, but that's something else, one specific goal at a time seems more reasonable to me.

I can't see how following a schedule and going by a simple not too demanding routine instead of having this annoying internal debate every time you think about going for a run would be called beating yourself up.

Lizzieh, a training partner would be nice, not really feasible though. Running alone is ok, and having to depend on other people as triggers for the desired behaviour is not a solid foundation, you can only control yourself, at best.
My favorite tricks for building an exercise habit: first, to echo others here, find something I really like enough to want to stick with. second, put the aerobics video on before breakfast, before I'm awake enough to start all the excuses--30 minutes later, it's time to fix bk and that part of exercise is done. Third, learn the weights routine well enough that I can do it in the late afternoon while listening to radio or audiobook, just before fixing dinner.

After 20 years, I got bored with the weights workout at home, and now participate in a twice weekly weight training class. Two incentives here: socializing with old and new friends; also I paid in advance!

I know this kind of scheduling is difficult for working people--easier for those us who are retired. Best of luck to you in finding your way.
For those in the UK I have just come across parkrun
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
Don't know if there is an equivalent in Sweden.
I am thinking of aspiring to being able to do 5k - wouldn't like to commit myself too much (lol)
lassemista, go for it and give parkrun a try, have a look over on the "Are there any runners here thread" as I don't want to hijack Michael's thread.

Michael for me forming an exercise habit is about making it the obvious thing to do.
I get up, dress in my exercise clothes and take my son to school six days a week. So when I get back at about 8.30 I can either go and shower or exercise -I use the cross trainer or go for a run before showering. :smile:
Was just going to suggest having your kit ready to jump into either early morning or when you get home from work. I do this. Could you run home from work? I can't as it is too far but I love the idea of doing it.

I have read that doing something 21 times gets the mind into the habit. I suppose that could depend on if you're doing something at the same time or not?
ZZZzzz.
Wow adf, didn't really find it worht it to continue reading this tirade of supposedly witty insults, and I don't think it's worth replying to it since you obviously don't take the matter seriously, meh.., incredible
Anyway, what I'm doing is to create a routine, making it into a ritual. Set the alarm to 5:30 AM in the evening, putting my running gear where I can see them, after the run I put a mark on a full year big wall calendar, making it into a process of collecting those marks, watching them line up.

I see performance like speed and distance as secondary, the important thing is to get out there regardless of how I run/walk. Strengthening the behaviour rather than striving for anything specific. So far it Seems to be working just fine, the only problem would be that running only every second day seems tricky, I figure I' better off with a rest day to avoid injury, but can't help waking up with the impulse to get out anyway. So, I'll guess I'll just have to switch between walk days and running days.

I'll probably end up joining a race some day, perhaps a marathon, but I'll certainly not use it as a tool for motivation or as a goal for reasons I've previously explained. If it happens, it's a natural consequence of having built the habit of running. Goals should be linked to actual scheduled behaviour, separated from consequences.
Hi Michael, for me I try to build it into the day. I have exercised habitually on and off for about 16 years (I say on and off as I have had times where I slump). I find what works for me is just heading to the gym or to a class as soon as I finish work, I do this almost on auto pilot now, which I suppose makes it a habit! I think if you have to make an effort, or perceive that you are having to make an effort it can become difficult. I'm very lucky as I have 2 excellent sports centers within 15 minute walk from my home, so I don't really have an excuse.
jospeirs wrote: Hi Michael, for me I try to build it into the day. I have exercised habitually on and off for about 16 years (I say on and off as I have had times where I slump). I find what works for me is just heading to the gym or to a class as soon as I finish work, I do this almost on auto pilot now, which I suppose makes it a habit! I think if you have to make an effort, or perceive that you are having to make an effort it can become difficult. I'm very lucky as I have 2 excellent sports centers within 15 minute walk from my home, so I don't really have an excuse.

Yep, you need a trigger for the behaviour, and connecting it to existing routines. Choosing the trigger can be tricky, I wouldn't use feelings whether it's "fun" or not, since your idea of what's funny or boring usually isn't consistent over time. Autopilot is what I'm looking for, a complete lack of decision making. I'm not brushing my teeth for entertainment.

And, we all are wonderfully creative with our excuses aren't we. A strict routine should eliminate them.
29 posts Page 2 of 2