The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Now that my finances have sorted themselves out a bit, I can join our local Leisure centre network. Which offers monthly membership with concessions for people on benefits. As part of the monthly membership you get an initial workout program tailored to your needs from a qualified instructor, with 6 weekly reviews.

Having the restrictions I have with my neck injury the instructor has started me off VERY gently with only 1kg weights for my upper body, but lots of repetitions. The idea is that it will build the muscles of my back and shoulders up slowly and in small increments so I don't too much strain on my neck which will lead to tension and subsequently pain. Personnally I thought 1kg was way too low and pathetically easy to use.

He has also banned both myself and my eldest son, who is also still in the obese range like me, from using the treadmill and from any kind of running as the impact on our knees would cause damage.

Now the upshot of this is that, as said, I am only using 1kg weights, if it had been up to me I would have used 5kg weights and probably injured myself. But, so far I have left the gym each night feeling that I have had a workout that has worked the muscles well and left me a bit sweaty with some cardiovascular thrown in too.

My suggestion is if you can, it is well worth getting a proper program tailored for you, your body and your eventual goal. It will end up being like 5:2, sustainable in the long run and healthier for you.
Very good advice, Julieathome. Years ago I joined a gym - only in order to use the showers on the way to work.(We were renovating our house at the time and were without water for several months - apart from a hosepipe!) I remember having an induction session with a very enthusiastic, and knowledgeable, young man who devised a training programme for me, which suited me perfectly.

It is very easy to overdo it in the gym and cause permanent damage to yourself, so I would second your recommendation that you should always make sure that you seek advise from someone who knows what they are doing.
I will go one step further and can't speak more highly than, having a program designed by an Exercise Physiologist, is an excellent way to go. I follow a program devised by this particular speciality as I have had injuries too. The practitioner went to the gym with me and helped me to understand which was the better way for me not to strain or further stress already compromised joints. Like you Julie I don't use the treadmill at all but instead the more reclined bike and the elliptical cross trainer better suit my needs. Also have to watch my neck when using the weights and other gizmos. I also have a series of stretches which take longer to do than my exercises

The upshot is my gym routine is individually tailored to meet my particular body needs, I feel confident with the equipment and my little routine has stood the test of time. I increase it at my own pace. Early next year I will have a review and a new program set. Who would have thought I would be a gym regular, well I am the most surprised
I'm getting proper coaching too for the first time ever and it makes a huge difference.
I need to find someone like this. Living in Japan is complicated!
5 posts Page 1 of 1