The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Got a new toy last weekend - A GPS bike computer ;-)

So here's a comparison of my heart rate during a 4-mile walk and also a cycle ride around the exact same circuit.

There's a couple of little hills, I overdid the bike circuit, but peaked at 137 during the 'gentle' walk!

Walk

Bike

interesting, I like gadgets like that.
My first reaction? Boys and their toys!!! :cool:

Have fun with it!
If it's Garmin, good luck with the HR strap - they used to stop working properly after a few months, I have had 3 plus a Polar and none lasted very long...
Give the strap a good rinse after each use - might help.
"..If it's Garmin..."

Correct! :-)
debbiejgb wrote: My first reaction? Boys and their toys!!! :cool:

Have fun with it!

You bet! Decided to stay on the flat for a bit on the bike until I've gotten a bit more used to it :-)
Last Chance: Your post got me off my arse to find out more about HR strap problems, and I might have found a solution. Apparently Garmin are on their 3rd incarnation of their own-brand strap and people seem to think it is better than the last one (of which I have 2), so you might be OK with yours. However, people also said that Garmin's first one (clunky, uncomfortable) worked OK - but mine stopped being reliable after about 6 months. One answer going around was to pair a Polar strap with the Garmin transmitter so I tried this and it worked brilliantly on my first bike ride but was rubbish again on my first run, failing to record properly after 15 minutes or so. The magic solution is apparently to sever the strap under where the transmitter fits - sounds a bit permanent but tried it today & hey presto! solid HR figures whilst loafing around the house for a couple of hours. Will test it running tomorrow, hoping for the best. I also finally got around to adding the Garmin speed and cadence sensor to the new bike which will give even more data to pore over at length - apparently my cadence is pathetically slow compared to proper cyclists so maybe I can focus more on spinning the pedals round rather than standing on them with this thing watching me!
Hi CreakyPete,

<<Your post got me off my arse to find out more about HR strap problems, and I might have found a solution. Apparently Garmin are on their 3rd incarnation of their own-brand strap and people seem to think it is better than the last one (of which I have 2), so you might be OK with yours.>>

Good to hear! Oh and thanks for the tip about the Polar belt. I've an old one around somewhere from yonks ago (but it never saw a washing machine :oops: ).

<<apparently my cadence is pathetically slow compared to proper cyclists so maybe I can focus more on spinning the pedals round rather than standing on them with this thing watching me!>>

I know what you mean about the cadence. I've been trying on the stationary bike in the gym to spin away at 85-90, but a 'real' bike is a different kettle of fish. So I've mapped out a flattish ride and have created a 'Training' activity that just shows Cadence and HR (not too bothered about the speed at the moment).

Here's my first attempt earlier this week...Avg 72. :bugeyes:

Ran with HR strap on today - worked perfectly until it slipped down onto my belly so I missed the sprint finish pulse rate. It did enough to show I was approaching max. rate for several minutes, which is interesting. Just need to find a comfortable way to hold it in place now...

Update - next day: Walked 17 miles today with perfect results from HR strap - average rate 108, peak 129 (very brief). Tightened strap before I started, no problem slipping down. Looks like it is sorted, thanks to your initial post...
9 posts Page 1 of 1