The FastDay Forum

Fasting Windows

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Weight loss just doing 16/8
27 May 2013, 10:43
Apologies if this has been covered before but nothing came up on the search. Is anyone doing just 16/8 and if so what weight loss are you achieving? I have friends coming to stay and thought it might be a more 'sociable' way of dieting while they're here...
Re: Weight loss just doing 16/8
27 May 2013, 10:54
Hi cgspain,

I am just about to go out, drinking AGAIN! so if you look on this thread in the 'View active topics' section.....

"Good Grief! Hubby Moving on to 8 Hour Diet!!!"

Postby rainbow53 » 05 May 2013, 20:23

You will get a lot of information, I will pop back later and see how you have got on. In the meantime, yes, I believe you can lose weight this way, good luck, :clover:

Ballerina x
27 May 2013, 11:16
Thanks. Have a drink on me!
28 May 2013, 09:09
I think I had more than 1 drink for you, :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: hence I'm only now back on the forum!!! :hypnotized:

16/8? Yes I do it all the time but I did start with 5:2 and was almost at my target weight when I read about the mice experiment and decided that I would go for that even though rodents and humans are quite different and cannot be compared, I just thought is sounded interesting. The experiment consisted of two sets of mice, both fed identical diets, same food, same amounts, same calorie content etc. One lot were allowed free access to their food 24 hours a day whilst the other lot were restricted to their food for only 8 hours per day. The restricted mice lost almost 30% more fat than the unrestricted ones.

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that you can lose weight by doing 16/8 rather than 5:2. The thing is, I would imagine that any weight loss may be slower than with a restricted calorie intake. This is something that you need to experiment with yourself to see what actually works for you. I hate counting calories and I hated the 500 calorie fast days which is why I am very happy on this regime. My 'window' is more like 4-5 hours so I fast for much longer on a daily basis. I just skip breakfast and don't eat late in the evening, so easy. I eat whatever I want and I have still lost some weight even though I was not trying to. I am now below my target weight but that is fine as it is nice to have a little 'wiggle' room. :beauty: :grin:

This is not for everyone, my husband cannot do without breakfast so it could never work for him but for me it is perfect.

I hope you get on O.K. with this, feel free to ask anything, I may not have the answers but I can offer a lot of support, so good luck :clover: and keep posting with your progress, :victory:

Ballerina x :heart:
28 May 2013, 09:58
Hi. I'm really interested in this. I've been looking on amazon for a book but the reviews aren't great. Any suggestions? I read on the other thread that this method isn't so good for reducing appetite. But I do find a whole day of fasting hard. It sounds ideal but although my weight loss isn't great on the 5:2 it is happening slowly so I'd worry about gaining what weight I have managed to lose. I can imagine that weight might not fluctuate as much with this method as it's more consistent. Have you noticed that?
28 May 2013, 10:07
I'm in this WOE fot 2 weeks, my metabolism has been bashed from the dukan diet and my weight loss is difficult, also last week I was sick so I did only a fast day, and this week I have my backed completely locked (I don't know if is the right term, sorry), because on saturday I went to the green day concert and wet myself quite a lot. So no exercise for me!
So I decided to do: today a 16/8, tomorrow and friday fast days... will see how it goes...
28 May 2013, 11:01
Hi Catelena,

I find my appetite is greatly reduced on 16/8 and although I lost of my weight doing 5:2 I have since lost more whilst only doing 16/8 so it may be worth trying, even if you use it to shake up things and surprise your body.

Ballerina x
28 May 2013, 11:04
Thanks Ballerina
I'm definitely going to give it a try with the odd 500 calorie day thrown in if weight loss stalls.
28 May 2013, 11:06
Sounds like a good plan to me, hope it works

Ballerina x
16 Jun 2013, 21:58
Hi.

In 3 weeks of 5:2 I have only lost 1lb so after reading forums I have now converted to 16:8 each day on a calorie intake of 1200-1300 (Scottish Slimmers method of counting cals) as I felt I needes that added structure instead of free for all with food.Never thought Id be able to do it esp on work days but I love it. I also enjoy fasting days (who would have guessed) so might try and have at least 1 or 2 max a week along with the 16:8 each other day.Will also allow one 'eat what you want day' to stop any bad moments happening lol
My fasts are from 7pm-11am and then my 8 hour window from then till 7pm.Today I found that I wasnt hungry that much and had to force myself to eat my last bit of calories lol

Shall weigh in at end of month to see if this has helped weight loss.

Karen
17 Jun 2013, 08:04
KarenW1987 wrote: Shall weigh in at end of month to see if this has helped weight loss.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it's going for you.
19 Jun 2013, 17:26
Well Glass marble I had a unexpected weigh in today and if the scales are correct over the past few days doing 16:8 combined with the Scottish Simmers way of dieting I have lost 2lb

My weight has gone from 11lst 13lb 3/4 to 11st 11lb 3/4

Happy with this.Not done my measurements but my body has def changed when looking in the mirror.

Im getting there :-)

Karen
19 Jun 2013, 17:54
That's great, well done! I'm excited that 16:8 is working so well for you, it gives me hope for me as well.
19 Jun 2013, 18:48
I tried 16/8 prior to trying 5:2 (this is my first week 5:2). I found 16 hours to be too many (for me), and additionally I like to workout in the morning. Without food prior or after (one or the other) I wasn't feeling great. This works out better for me (I predict) because I can give my workouts a rest on the 2 days.
14 posts Page 1 of 1