The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

44 posts Page 3 of 3
A modern one. World War Z. The book, though awkward to read because of its episodic style, was great for its portrayal of the survivors and the full out fight. But when Israel was overrun, that's when it started to spoil in the movie and then when they used drugs as a way forward in the movie, instead of it being sheer guts and determination that won the war. Well it spoilt it.

Dune, yes, the one with Sting in it wasn't close. But the ones with the dark headed Leto were a bit closer. I can't sit in a room with hubby watching any kind of modern war or action films with hubby. He is constantly critisising the actions or the technology. His favourite peeve is the Rambo films, all he can do is complain that you don't skyline yourself like that in real life. His other pet peeve is the way they either jump into a helicopter and it takes off immediately or they shut it down immediately. Helicopters just down work that way.
I loved the Harry Potter books, but found the movies boring (the few that I watched.)

I did think that they did a good job turning The Help into a movie.
Do we need to start up a Harry Potter tent @marybeth, @kentishlass and @izzy??!!!! :lol:
I agree wholeheartedly about Hermione and the way he shrunk her own teeth!! The whole point was that they were all mifits in their own way. Sorry if I have temporarily highjacked this thread! I loved Hagrid and thought Alan Rickman was wonderful (as he is in anything), although I wish he had had the greasy hair!!!
I agree, you can never shrink such big books with so many characters, I must admit they are my go-to books when I am tired, fractious and in need of escape, which is why I am currently reading them for about the 7th time!!!
I loved HP books and grew used to the films, and share them with my gkids. like them more as time goes by.
I really liked newest bilbo baggins film, but it's been years since I read The Hobbit, and was really fun to share w/ children ,who are just starting to be readers.
I agree that sometimes I have something in my head... it just doesn't translate to film... example is the Help... a lot was missing.. but, really, I can't sit for hours that would take to fill in the blanks. That is why I read.
Pretty much everything Disney does to a book but especially The Wind in the Willows.
*sits down and breathes deeply* Battle Royale, the manga had a lot more depth behind it instead of just killing, I am legend, no offence to will smith whom i think is wonderful but, the guy is white, had no dog and a complete.....git....
eragon, oh good god, so much wrong with that atrocity! Tales from earthsea, ok not ruined but they missed out a helluva lot and made the film a bit tepid! All i can think of for now that, in my eyes, were ruined!

Why can film makers never stay true to the books?! rubbish!!
The movies I just can't even bring myself to watch are those for The Chronicles of Narnia. I still have my set from when I was 11 and have read them so many times, that there's just no way the movie can match what's in my head!
nursebean wrote: Oh @kentishlass you're going to hate me but I LOVE Mary Poppins and so does my favourite film reviewer, Mark Kermode. Mind you, his favourite ever film is The Exorcist so read into that what you will! I also have to admit to not having read Mary Poppins, but I have it poised on my Kindle. Have I redeemed myself? Probably not :confused:

Bean :starving:

Oh @nursebean :shock: :shock: !!how could you :cry:
Seriously, if you hadn't read the books, I suppose...
I haven't re-read the books myself. I will forgive you in advance if you read them and don't like them, because not all books stand up over time- I've re-read some books I loved as a child and been dismayed by the rampant snobbery, racism, anti-Semitism, mawkish moralising etc, not to mention sometimes dreadful writing, that all washed over me when I was in pursuit of a good yarn under the bedclothes with a torch.
I will try and remember the name of the book, but I was trying to read one of my favourites to my youngest (he's profoundly dyslexic) and found I had to stop every couple of sentences to explain the older words and as @kentishlass said the racism etc. It made me look at some of my favourite books in a different light.
I re-read The Hobbit before watching the first two films and although I enjoyed seeing them the story has had so much added to it I hardly recognised it. Much of it was not in the book at all with characters added from Lord of the Rings and the storyline changed to bulk it out. I suppose that making three films from one book is very lucrative but I'm sure that J. R. R. Tolkien would be turning in his grave if he saw the films - or perhaps he would have approved?
I agree @kentishlass, think Enid Blyton and her appalling racism, sexism, class-ridden books. I adored them as I grew up and read some a while ago to remind myself of the charm of the adventures. Luckily I didn't imbibe any of that 1950s prejudice, quite the opposite!
The Hobbit was a thin volume compared to LOTR and I was staggered to see it made into several films. Haven't seen them but I probably will, they are usually shown on the plane flights.
That's why it's best not to grow up. Life's too scary when you grow up!

Bean :starving:
Isn't it sad that some people only ever watch the movie and don't read? They miss out on escaping to a magic place. I'm so glad that everyone in my family are readers. Us kids grew up being read to and making regular trips the library as a matter of course. I almost always prefer the movie that runs in my head when I read to the one that's made in Hollywood.
For me it was the 'Bridges of Madison County'. I remember reading it in one go at Dublin airport and was crying my eyes out before the end, gawd knows what people around me thought! :grin:

Anyway I had definitely pictured Sam Shepard in the main role....
samualshepard1.jpg
c'mon, what's not to like?

but who should be cast in the film but Clint Eastwood, who was far too wrinkly even then (1995). And it was turned into a very ordinary schmaltz-fest. Shame. :frown:
44 posts Page 3 of 3