The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

44 posts Page 2 of 3
Big Harry Potter fan here. The first movie was very true to the book (I agree they should have put prosthetic buck teeth on Emma Watson--they get shrunken later in the series; and her hair should have stayed bushy throughout)

By the time they got to the later books, they were leaving out things I loved--the "Radio Free Europe" takeoff, for instance--and adding in stuff that never was and emphasizing silly "action" scenes. HP is really about character, not so much action--although Rowling has a genius for putting the reader in the middle of the Quidditch games. Loved Alan Rickman, throughout, though.

The best of the three media, however, are the audio books. Jim Dale's narration is superb. We always take the CD's with us when on a long car trip. My 50-year-old daughter listens to them while commuting when she particularly needs something comfortable and soothing to get through her day.

Hooray for Jim Dale and JK Rowling :heart: ! Down (mostly) for Hollywood! :razz:
@izzy Too right!! (OOh, I love speaking British :grin:
ALL OF THEM! LOL

Even when a movie is actually done well and stays true to the book, like the Lord of the Rings series, it's still usually different from what I saw in my head. And therefore, it's WRONG ;-)
The absolutely worst movie ever of a book that was really good was Dune. The books have a huge fan following so they had an opportunity to make a film that would be as popular as, say, Star Wars or the Matrix, but no, they made a complete pigs ear of the movie...dreadful in almost every way.
Stephen Fry reads the Audio Harry Potter's in the UK. I was disappionted they left Peeves out. Rik Mayall played him but they cut all the scenes.

I always try and read the book before I see the film.
I wouldn't say the movie ruined it, but it really really disappointed me and that was Time Traveler's Wife. The book is amazing, cleverly written and absolutely beautiful to read, it's my favourite book and I read it again and again and again....then I watched the movie and I was sooooo disappointed in how it was played out-so much stuff was missed and Henry and Clare (I think of them as friends) just weren't the same.

Then again I'm a bit in love with Henry (yes I know he's not real) so maybe I was just devastated that he didn't translate into my ideal man in the film.

@domane just seen your original post - how funny that we totally disagree about time travelers wife! I agree with you about PS I love you though....DIRE.
The Far Pavilions. An absolutely epic book that had my heart in pieces when I was younger. The film was a travesty!
Hi @Brand-ie, I didn't know that Stephen Fry did the HP books--must have been an unabridged version, if they left Peeves out.

I looked at Amazon.uk and found the Jim Dale versions--very expensive and it was confusing to tell which on the list were hard copy and which were audio.

Maybe some public libraries have the Jim Dale for avid fans to try.
I think the worst ever adaptation was Bicentennial Man, I don't think anyone involved had ever read the story. I agree about Dune but Lord of the Rings..so much was left out Tom Bombadil for example and they turned Arwen into a warrior princess!
The Great Gatsby. I've never seen any of the earlier versions but did go to see the latest with Leonardo DiCaprio. I wish I never did. The writing is so beautiful. The movie is a disaster. Though, I love looking at the clothing and architecture.

"My Sister's Keeper" was a disaster too. How disappointing!

Best book turned movie is "The Help." Read it. See it! Excellent!
Oh @kentishlass you're going to hate me but I LOVE Mary Poppins and so does my favourite film reviewer, Mark Kermode. Mind you, his favourite ever film is The Exorcist so read into that what you will! I also have to admit to not having read Mary Poppins, but I have it poised on my Kindle. Have I redeemed myself? Probably not :confused:

Bean :starving:
Ooh @Izzy you're SO right! To Kill A Mockingbird has to be one of my favourite books and, yes, the film was pretty good, too wasn't it. Thanks for reminding me of that

Bean :starving: :smile:
I guess a book is never going to translate into film and please everyone. You can't expect a film maker to include every aspect of the book, it would be impossible, which is why I thought the Harry Potter films did a pretty good job (although to be honest, I only read the first two and then just stuck with the films!)

I've just thought of a film that was disappointing and that is "Woman in Black". Daniel Radcliffe was miscast...way too young and you just didn't get the same sense of terror that the book's character experienced. Susan Hill writes ghost stories beautifully. I couldn't put the book down and read it through a wild, windy night! It was pre...tty scary I can tell you :shock:

Bean :starving:
sweetenough wrote: The Great Gatsby. I've never seen any of the earlier versions but did go to see the latest with Leonardo DiCaprio. I wish I never did. The writing is so beautiful. The movie is a disaster. !

Earlier one, 40 years ago, with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, also a car crash of a movie :bugeyes:
danielle21711 wrote: I wouldn't say the movie ruined it, but it really really disappointed me and that was Time Traveler's Wife. The book is amazing, cleverly written and absolutely beautiful to read, it's my favourite book and I read it again and again and again....then I watched the movie and I was sooooo disappointed in how it was played out-so much stuff was missed and Henry and Clare (I think of them as friends) just weren't the same.

Then again I'm a bit in love with Henry (yes I know he's not real) so maybe I was just devastated that he didn't translate into my ideal man in the film.

Yes, on all points!! :lol:
44 posts Page 2 of 3