The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

44 posts Page 1 of 3
I just finished reading "The Rosie Project" and thought, ooh I hope they make a film of it. And then I thought, ooh I hope they don't because they are sure to ruin it.

So I was wondering if anyone else has books that the movie-makers ruined?

Here's one from my childhood: Mary Poppins. I was taken as a 10th birthday treat when it came out, and it was the day I realised there was no magic, just fakery for profit. I loved the books and the mysterious nanny who is so stern and strange and admits to nothing, but holds the key to fabulous adventures. And they turn it into a soppy singing soufflé of silliness. I was furious. Years later I found out that PL Travers hated it too, but since I discovered this from her obituary it was too late to send her a fan letter and tell her how I sympathised. It's even more annoying that people who should have more discernment keep putting the film on top-film-of-all-time lists. And then, to grind salt into the wounds, they make another movie about how poor old PL Travers hated it, and turn that into a technicolour Disney bunch of slush too, or so I gather from peering between my fingers at the trailers.

Rant over. Thank you. I feel better now!

Anyone else want a go?
Hurrumph, the 'Hunt for Red October'
A good yarn ruined, for me.
All of them! Okay, Clockwork Orange I loved both, but that's the only one.

In my imagination, I have it all looking a certain way - the characters, the places, the world, how it all happens. And even when they get a lot of it right, they often make a few MASSIVE mistakes (like Trainspotting) which ruin the entire thing for me. So now I just won't watch a movie of a book I've read.

That said, a completely new interpretation (like the new Alice in Wonderland, when she's an adult) is a totally different thing - I love those. They're not trying to be the original, they are something else.
Hi @Kentishlass

Rant away!

Rather maddening isn't it? I like The Rosie Project - I do hope the movie stays true to the book.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult - they changed the ending - completely!!!
Having heard this, I never saw the movie, I could not stand it, but I read all about it.

I could name heaps more.

cheers Maggie :smile: :smile:
One that was a bit disappointing was Warm Bodies-the book was a really dark zombie story, but they made the movie into a light hearted teen romance :p The movie was still good, but definitely not as good as the book.

ETA: ones that I think directors got RIGHT-The Princess Bride, LOTR series/The Hobbit, the Harry Potter series, Hunger Games/Catching Fire and Stardust :grin: Oh, and the newer Chronicles of Narnia!
KataMac wrote: All of them! Okay, Clockwork Orange I loved both, but that's the only one.

In my imagination, I have it all looking a certain way - the characters, the places, the world, how it all happens. And even when they get a lot of it right, they often make a few MASSIVE mistakes (like Trainspotting) which ruin the entire thing for me. So now I just won't watch a movie of a book I've read.

That said, a completely new interpretation (like the new Alice in Wonderland, when she's an adult) is a totally different thing - I love those. They're not trying to be the original, they are something else.

Not movies, but if you like the Alice in Wonderland storyline, you should read the YA Splintered trilogy by A.G. Howard-LOVE these books! The first one is Splintered, the second one is Unhinged and the third is (nor released yet) Ensnared (release date sometime in 2015). A very cool spin on the Alice in Wonderland storyline :heart:
PS I Love You!!! LOVED the book and read it a few times. Then eagerly went to see the film and it was DIRE.... the two main leads were seriously mis-cast and now I can't read the book without mentally imagining Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler.... totally wrecked it for me....

As I said in the films thread, I absolutely ADORE The Time Traveler's Wife book and when they made the film I avoided it for aaaages for the above reason. Eventually I cracked and decided to watch it... mainly because I do like Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana and I was pleasantly surprised how the director had caught the essence of my own imagination. Now when I read the book I visualise the characters from the film and they fit very nicely in my head :)
Great avatar @Domane
Every book I've read then it's been tuned into a film has been disappointing.
Z for Zachariah, shopaholic,
and whispers.......I wonder what fifty shades of grey will be like..... :confused:
Not movies, but if you like the Alice in Wonderland storyline, you should read the YA Splintered trilogy by A.G. Howard-LOVE these books! The first one is Splintered, the second one is Unhinged and the third is (nor released yet) Ensnared (release date sometime in 2015). A very cool spin on the Alice in Wonderland storyline :heart:

Oooh, thank you! Will hunt them down. :lol:
Sound like a sour puss but most books I read turned movies ..the end result is no good. Except Die Nadel, the first three Bourne and Lord of the Rings that actually was quite good. I heard that they are filming Shantaram....pretty sure I won't ever see it, cause I already have my own film in my head ;)
Anna Karenina staring Jude Law was ghastly. If I'd not been with some friends I would have left the cinema. I also hope they do The Rosie project but STICK TO THE STORY LINE PLEASE, phew, sorry for shouting but I feel better for that :oops:

Ballerina x :heart:
I have to disagree with bean, I thought the films didn't do justice to the Harry Potter books! They were so dense, so full of humour, detail that I got really frustrated seeing how condensed they were. I love to create my own characters in my head.
I agree@Debs you miss some of the story if you just watch the HP films, The worse was by far the 6th film I was so annoyed by it.
I didn't mind My Sister's Keeper but haven't liked any of the other films they have made from Jodi Picoult's books. I also hated the TV version of The Ice Cream Girls it was absolutely awful that I only managed the first episode. The book was very good.
I still went and watched them all, one in 3D which was pretty impressive but yes I noticed a loss of continuity.
I don't watch a lot of films and it takes a lot to drag me out to the pictures but I have liked quite a few of the recent Jane Austen adaptations. Tess of the D'Urbervilles I liked but that is probably because I'm not a fan of Hardy's books.
Debs wrote: I have to disagree with bean, I thought the films didn't do justice to the Harry Potter books! They were so dense, so full of humour, detail that I got really frustrated seeing how condensed they were. I love to create my own characters in my head.

I agree @Debs,a lot was lost and I was infuriated by the casting of Hermione.She was meant to be plain, but we got the usual Hollywood version of plain, ie a pretty little actress with a bad haircut. Richard Harris was also miscast as the first Dumbledore. But Hagrid was perfect.
44 posts Page 1 of 3