The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

164 posts Page 8 of 11
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Hi hi hi Hazel as Gino Washington sang!
Teehee @hazelnut20 thats funny about noncy ber..i DID look at it and think it looked wrong but it didnt occur to me to put a dash in the middle like you did! :lol: makes much more sense that way...!
Thanks For giving me a lift as always.. I am just watching what i eat for now,hoping to return to fasting June if i can get my act together.
I' m thinking of doing Slimming World five days and two fast days. SWmeeting is at end of DDs road tho so i might just go to DDs,get weighed there,and save the membership fee for a treat for her and me! And she can make the cat bite and scratch me if i gain!
@chriso57 sobering to hear about yr Mum and yr doggy x so very sorry and commiserations. X i do hope the promises that 5:2 make are for real as its such a big incentive to keep on it/get back on it.
Lovelyto see you here and i empathise over the weight gain..isnt it the most frustrating part of all how easy it goes back on. Grrrrrrrr!
I must sit and read all the pages of this thread coz its so helpful and supportive on here
Thanks everybody ! X X X
Welcome back @chriso57. Just on the subject of demented parents, my mother who died a year ago now, had dementia for the last 6 years of her life. I learned not to correct her when she spoke as if certain members of the family were still alive. What is the point? It will only make her sad. Just carry on as if what she says is right. I think I read to do that in various things I read about dealing with dementia. I often had to deal with other inmates at the nursing home who said the most outrageous things. There was one woman who thought she had missed her plane and that she was in an airport lounge. I just reassured her that she'd get on another plane. It's a crazy world. I hope we don't go there! Only to visit, not to live there.
Isnt it the saddest of illnesses @sallyo? That poor lady must have been so distressed thinking she' d missed her plane. Others can be quite happy ( tho its still heartbreaking for the family)
My friend's Mum was in a home for people with dementia.. Sometimes they would all have a little dance with each other and sing. One lady thought she worked there and kept busy dusting all the windowsills,but she was quite content doing that.
But by and large,not the best way to end your days is it. xx
".... I get the feeling that my senses aren't as sharp as they used to be, even now. So I feel that while I still can enjoy the pleasure of food, I should. I also saw both my parents become quite emaciated as they aged, even my mother who was seriously overweight at my age. I would hate to get to where food didn't appeal to me and wish that I had enjoyed it more when I still could. And right now, well, I still can! months at a time, which is just too much. "

@Peebles I find this a very interesting concern of yours. Why would you worry about losing the enjoyment of food ? Unfortunately I get enjoyment of food mainly from treats and sugar including fruit. Most other (cooked) food I eat because "they are healthy and sustain me". If old age brings with it that I don't enjoy sugar/carbs as much then I don't mind if I lose that enjoyment.

I have in the past played a silly little TDEE game by changing my age only on the TDEE calculator. With every 10 years I seem to be allowed 40 cals less if I want to stay the same weight. By the age of eighty and bearing in mind that I won't be as active as today (and possibly a bit shorter), my TDEE would be hovering around 1110cals per day (at the moment at 54 with a slightly active lifestyle my TDEE is 1470). If I didn't have the consolation that the trade off for such a low TDEE is a smaller appetite I would get very depressed. Btw, I kept playing the game on the calculator and found out that at the age of 100 my TDEE will be 992cals and by the age of 265 I will have a TDEE of 4 calories left. :razz: And there are some people out there who want to live forever? :lol: :geek:
Oh I wrote stuff and now its disappeared!! So now I'm just gonna have to be quick...
Candy? Its seems we are both experimenting with SW (or at least about to attempt to). I got my books out, had a quick look and realised that its just a case of eating healthy foods most of the time and keeping an eye on the naughty stuff...simples!!
Hi to my little nutty friend @Hazlenut20 thanks for your usual supportive words. Hope everything is ok with you.
Hey wait a minute, this tent is getting a bit too wobbly for my liking. I'm starting to feel...a...little...bit Image
Oops, sorry about that!
:wink:
Hugs all around! We all have weeks where the wheels seem to fall off our plan. The thing is to be mindful and thinking about being healthy while waiting for things to "shore up". One day at a time!

For my part, I was a bit less wobbly this week and the scale was kind. I've only just lost the weekend fluff I put on last week, but it's a start. I managed to stay away from sweets this week which has been a big problem for me for months. A bit of this and a bit of that adds up!

Have a lovely weekend. Keep the 5:2 faith!
:heart:
Hi ladies,
These seemed like the best place to post as I am wobbling all over the place, mostly with jet lag having changed continent this week! I am in Qatar now and am pleased to say that I shall be fasting as Ramadan approaches and I shall have no choice! I have been here a week and have mostly been doing 16:8 which has worked out quite well as my eating has been confused with the time difference, but I have been mostly, healthy, discovering the joys of labneh, babba ganoush (or gnash as my predictive text would have it!), flat bread and foules medames.
There are temptations here and I have succumbed a couple of times, but local food is cheap so being an honorary Yorkshire woman that suits me fine!!
Debs
@Ieramul what a cute little photo! Is it you? You look like quite adetermined little girl!x
@nursebean..its so wobberly in here i feel ...
Image.....seasick!
( ps..are we hitting a new low in childish humour ? :razz: )
@Debs! Great to hear from you. Have you started your new job? The food sounds wonderful. I want to know all about it. Such a contrast to both your more recent locations - Tas and north west WA! Is Ramadan compulsory? Surely they can't stop you eating breakfast in your own home? Do you just mean all the eating places are closed.
To return to the topic of dementia, my mother was very worried about her dementia when it was first coming on, but once she really had it, she just accepted it and was completely unaware of it, I think. I wouldn't say she had a very good quality of life, but she did take pleasure in little things, like warm sunshine. It was sadder for the family than it was for her really.
@debs so you got the new job!congrats! :like:
Hope you enjoy it x
@sallyo i agree,devastating for the family to see a loved one so changed by this illness,but a consolation to know they can still take pleasure in little things.xx
Well, I had a proper wobble yesterday. Was supposed to be fasting, but due to feeling a bit on the edge emotionally, I succumbed to the "what the hell" mentality and ate more than I should have.

It's my classic reaction to upset - I know of no other way to be "kind" to myself and nobody notices how I am anyway. This links into self-sabotage - no one noticed when I ate my way up to 15stone 8lbs. When I say "noticed" I really mean "said anything". There were plenty of positive comments during the course of losing nearly 4 stone last year...but they weren't enough to sustain me when my emotions got the better of me and I threw in the towel. As we know, no amount of food can fill an emotional void....though I had a jolly good go. How I regret it now. I have been back on the wagon since early March....& have only shed about 9lbs - seeing the same few pounds coming off and going on these last few weeks.

At least I'm moving in the right direction though. Scraping together a small sense of achievement & pride at facing up to my failings. Even doing a bit of exercise.

To anyone else who is struggling - you have my heartfelt sympathy. Chris in particular - big hello from me & I'm sorry life has been so tough for you. I totally relate to the weight gain thing - I put on 2 stone when I stopped fasting. It is very nice to see you back, so let's keep talking....

Sorry this post is a bit miserable. What you see is what you get, with me. Am not a happy bunny at the moment, but I am going to try very hard this weekend not to let this be reflected in my food choices...

Hugs to everyone and a big hello to @candicemarie and @nursebean xxx

P.S. Lovely to see @debs again too!
No good, @Hazelnut20. Lots of wisdom and self awareness in that post, even though you are miserable. We have to learn how to reward and comfort ourselves in other ways than food. If only going for a walk would always do it. It does at times, but not usually when I am going under. If I walked, I probably wouldn't go there. Doing exercise is so important and I find it so hard to maintain. Other ways to reward and comfort myself: hot baths, .... I draw a blank. The trouble is eating is the default position and the other healthy options require thinking and resolution and when you want comfort. it's hard to do that. Hugs.
Hi @hazelnut20 and @sallyo..i guess a lot of the probs with comforting ourself with food goes right back to being a kid and given a sweet,ice cream or other " goody" to dry our tears after we fell and scraped our knees etc etc..
Even as a thirteen yr old and excited to be invited to my first teen party,my best friend was too shy to go,we stayed in her house and her mum cheered us up by making us ' chip butties' ...hot golden chipped potatoes on soft white buttered bread! ....Those comforting memories go very very deep,and its really difficult to find things that are equally as consoling x big big hugs to Haze,Chris and all wibbly wobblers x never forget we have also had triumphant days and weeks where we have had iron resolve and strong focus...high fives for that,..we are only wobberling part of the time! X
Hugs to wobblers, I saw 12 stone flicker up on the scale this morning then resolve back to 11st 12lbs :0@
What? How? When? Blast.
Went looking to buy a bag of gram flour today to try making flatbread for a change, couldn't find any, came home with a set of acrylic paints and brushes instead. Is my head trying to tell me something? Is my gut?

I'm listening ...

Ate GF herb oatcakes with hummus, rather delightfully yum :0)

@breadandwine, do you use gram flour?
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
164 posts Page 8 of 11