The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

37 posts Page 3 of 3
via another site. i stumbled on this.. looks great. oats with coconut milk, almond milk, chia seeds soaked overnight

http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2014/ ... tmeal.html

1 cup Oats (steel cut or Old Fashion)
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
¼ teaspoon Maple Extract
¼ cup Brown Sugar

I've gotta find me some steel cut oats
I like mine very simple.I start by soaking the oats in an equal volume of boiled water for about ten minutes. I the add a pinch of groung sea salt and cook until creamy in amix of almond milk and water, sometimes adding cinnamon and raisins.

When cooke,d I will sprinkle with various items from pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pistachhios, blueberries, raspberries or a few slices of banana. I then add a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and ground flax seeds. I don't like it with sugar, honey or maple syrup, but my partner smothers his in the stuff.
Bracken wrote: I like mine very simple.I start by soaking the oats in an equal volume of boiled water for about ten minutes. I the add a pinch of groung sea salt and cook until creamy in amix of almond milk and water, sometimes adding cinnamon and raisins.

When cooke,d I will sprinkle with various items from pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pistachhios, blueberries, raspberries or a few slices of banana. I then add a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and ground flax seeds. I don't like it with sugar, honey or maple syrup, but my partner smothers his in the stuff.

Do you know what the salt does for porridge? i ommitted it once and definitely less flavour.

the additions you make of seeds and nuts and berries sounds great.
Can't abide salt in porridge myself (despite having a Scottish grandfather!). I mix water and milk (about half and half) and use rolled oats. Cook gently until creamy stirring with my authentic Scottish burtle (sp?). Serve with milk and golden syrup. I have tried adding chopped dates...it was ok. But golden syrup is the best, failing that, dark brown sugar.

Now I've given up breakfast though, porridge is a rare treat indeed.
Because I an still plagued by constipation I have the following mixture on some normal days. I cook about 1oz jumbo oats with unsweetened almond milk and a pinch of salt. I add about a tablespoon of wheat bran and a teaspoon of chia seeds. These days I always have a container of figs ( dried figs that I have soaked and then simmered ) in the fridge. I add some of the 'fig water' and 1 or 2 figs chopped up ( these have replaced the raisins I used to add) I sometimes add a little sweetener. Very yummy and keeps me full up till lunch time. Believe it or not I can leave the house safely after I have eaten it!
carorees wrote: Can't abide salt in porridge myself (despite having a Scottish grandfather!). I mix water and milk (about half and half) and use rolled oats. Cook gently until creamy stirring with my authentic Scottish burtle (sp?). Serve with milk and golden syrup. I have tried adding chopped dates...it was ok. But golden syrup is the best, failing that, dark brown sugar.

Now I've given up breakfast though, porridge is a rare treat indeed.

I have porridge for desssert/after dinner treat on a non-fast day. I know thats sick
Not sick at all! Oats for dessert w/ fruit or nut or a bit of honey is a perfect finish :). Sometimes I even take it to work for lunch. Gives me enough energy to get through the afternoon.
37 posts Page 3 of 3