The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

36 posts Page 2 of 3
I am alarmed to read this week that in the processing, such products are hydrogenated, and thus contain trans fats, unless the label specifically states that it does not. Can this be so?

No. This would have to be labelled as "hydrogenated coconut oil".

The pure stuff melts somewhere in the 20s degrees C.
Thanks PhilT, that is reassuring!
However, I understood that if a product containes less than 0.5g trans fat PER SERVING, then it need not be put on the label. Thus, say on a packet of biscuits, where 2 biscuits are classed as a serving, does not need to display the fact that there are SOME TFs. As we all know we eat 4 biscuits minimum ( don't we?), which could be the best part of 1g of TFs. So, we could be merrily chomping away on such products, totally unaware that we are consuming TFs, yet no rules have been broken, except the rules of morality.
The manufactures just need to make the suggested serving size so miniscule as to be absurd, so permitting them to avoid putting it on the label.
How do we get round that conundrum?
As the fat in #coconutoil is so saturated (over 90%), there are very few double bonds that could be trans anyway, surely?
Thanks, Caroline, that is even more reassuring. Trouble is, I am not up on the science of this sort of thing. I just feel that coconut, in all its forms, has a part to play in a healthy diet, despite its bad press in previous years. Such a lot of advice is being turned around these days, so we need to keep sifting through the evidence.
However, I understood that if a product contains less than 0.5g trans fat PER SERVING, then it need not be put on the label.
Only in the USA I suspect where "per serving" stupidity is common. It's not a UK labelling requirement to declare trans fats at all, but we have a range of measures in progress to get them out of the system altogether.

There's international rules - Codex Alimentarius - that define what you can call "Coconut Oil". Hydrogenation isn't allowed.

Might be simpler if you cited the source of the allegation.

http://veganheath.info/ktc-coconut-oil seems happy about it, FWIW.
http://www.elburgglobal.nl/fileadmin/br ... ut_Oil.pdf

hydrogenated is vaguely yellow and melts at over 30 C. Link has analysis of fats.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2 lists no trans fats in coconut oil and the hydrogenated variant is the same at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fat ... ils/7963/2
PhilT, many thanks, that is just brilliant stuff from you, and I will certainly read the links. At present I am enjoying the much awaited sunshine, which is long overdue. Oh dear, I haven't got my sun block on! Never mind, as eating my type of healthy diet protects the body from the rays we get in England around noon.
we need the Vit-D anyway :-)
PhilT. Many thanks for the link regarding KTC coconut oil, as I had bought some at Tesco. Your link quotes Bruce Fife, who confirms the findings, that although refined, KTC is equally as good as unrefined.
My original worry was instigated by Bruce Fife himself actually, but I can't find the link. He wrote this year that since coconut water has become so popular, the food conglomerates are cashing in on 2 fronts:-
1) unlike the small growers marketing the fresh water from young, sweet nuts, they are collecting the more sour water from the older nuts that are used in the production of oil and cream, ( which was previously a waste product), then adding sugar up to the permitted level of the natural, unadulterated sweetness of young nut water.
2) in order to maximise the production of coconut products, he seemed to suggest there was a degree of hydrogenation involved.
I will scour my history shortly to see if I can find the actual link.
In the mean time, I will continue to use the cheaper, less flavourful oil for cooking, and enjoy the more expensive, more perfumed Biona and other virgin products in uncooked foods.
Great research on your part, many thanks.
Thanks Izzy, I will certainly watch these. I have been to good book shops and good food outlets over the last week, and I cannot find anything about the virtues of coconut, which seems strange. There are freebie books to download on the internet, or to have a peak at on Amazon, but that is about it.
Around 10 years ago I found a new book in a charity shop by Dr Bruce Fife, and was so taken by the info. However, in the following month or so, all the charity shops seemed to have the same book, and being a cynical sort of individual, I thought that perhaps we were being 'had' by some organisation! Shortly after that, there was all the stuff in the press about the coconut oil being full of 'bad' saturated oil, and like the leeming I was then, I discarded his book. I believe that was a big mistake on my part. However, at that time, the fat issue was still very biased against sats, and pro unsats, so it was difficult to go against the tide, especially as I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and well......that's another story about bad nutritional advice!!!
I am older and wiser now, and will make my own mind up, and this forum is turning up some fantastic resources for me.
carorees wrote: As the fat in coconut oil is so saturated (over 90%), there are very few double bonds that could be trans anyway, surely?

Good point. 1.8% polyunsaturated and 5.8% monounsaturated makes it a less likely candidate for hydrogenation than the oils high in polyunsaturates.

Hydrogenated coconut oil is manufactured but doesn't seem widespread (going by the difficulty tracking it down). Food ingredient and cosmetic ingredient for special purposes I think.
I am interested in this coconut oil bizzo. I bought a nice jar of virgin coconut oil and it sits there on my bench next to the olive oil I use :>) I tried it in coffee and went and vomited! I don't particularly like it but it's ok for cooking, however can someone tell me why it's better than EVOO (Extra Virgin olive oil)? I know I have read stuff on coconut oil, but I have a sieve memory and I thought it said for health benefits I needed X amount everyday (hence trying it in coffee)? How much do we need every day or does it not matter.
OLIVE OIL

Primary fat: Oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid.73% Monounsaturated; 14% Saturated; 11% PolyunsaturatedOmegas: 9% omega-6; 0.7% omega-3 (13:1 omega-6 to -3 ratio)
Goodies: Antioxidants; Vitamins E and K; Trace iron

Smoke Point: Nutrients stable at 200-340°F (higher quality EVOO = lower smoke point)

Great for: Salad dressings, spreads, dips, low-heat cooking, food processor

Storage: dark opaque glass container stored in a cool, dark place

Consistency: Liquid at room temp

Shelf Life: one year

Labeling: Virgin + Extra Virgin differ

COCONUT OIL :-

Primary fat: Lauric acid, a medium-chain “good” saturated fat.87% Saturated; 6% Monounsaturated; 2% PolyunsaturatedOmegas: 3% omega-6; 0% omega-3. (No ratio)
Goodies: Antioxidants; Trace Vitamins E and K; Trace iron

Smoke Point: Nutrients stable up to 350°F

Great for: Margarine substitute, spread, baking, frying, higher-heat cooking

Storage: cool, dark place, though less susceptible to heat & UV damage. move to glass container if wary of plastic.

Consistency: Solid below 76°F; Liquid is normal

Shelf Life: at least two years

Labeling: Virgin + Extra Virgin the same; arbitrary

Source - http://coconut-oil-tips.com/food-drink/ ... omparison/
Izzy, I don't have access to decent wi-fi until Monday evening, and then I will be able to watch the videos, which you have sourced for me, thanks.
PhilT, thanks for the comparison of olive and coconut oil, it satisfies my needs completely, as I am not a user of olive oil, except along with actual olives. I feel very comfortable now eating the coconut oil.
I eat a lot of avocados, fresh, not made up into fancy spreads or dressings, so with the addition of dairy fats, I reckon I am doing fine on the healthy fats front.

I am looking closely at quality protein now, but that may have to be on another posting, after I have digested all this info about coconuts.
So...I saw the video from the guy from the coconut research foundation...he didn't mention amounts to be had. My question is this: if one uses EVOO or coconut oil a few times a week, surely that's OK for either. I read the other week something about CCO and alzheimers, however the amount of CCO consumption per day so was so high, that the calorie intake alone was huge plus if one is fasting 2/3 times a week, no way would u be able to consume those amounts and also apart from using CCO to cook with, I wouldn't use it for anything else - don't like that fatty taste on my tongue. Interesting Phil re cooking temps - I used CCO today for scrambled eggs and it was smoking - EVOO doesn't do that at that heat.
36 posts Page 2 of 3