The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

40 posts Page 3 of 3
I know its 5 days late but what is 'salt water taffy'?
Sold by seashore towns/beaches. Assorted fruit flavors that are very sweet and salty. They are usually 1/2in square blob of taffy wrapped in waxed paper. Wiki has good blurb on it.
Julieathome wrote: I know its 5 days late but what is 'salt water taffy'?

clairemarie wrote: Sold by seashore towns/beaches. Assorted fruit flavors that are very sweet and salty. They are usually 1/2in square blob of taffy wrapped in waxed paper. Wiki has good blurb on it.

It's more of an "eastcoast" specialty, west coast may have a few beach vendors try and imitate but from what I've heard it doesn't compare. When I've been to the eastcoast I never thought to try the 'real deal' :cry: I have to remember for next trip. ;)
OK. now what is TAFFY? Is it toffee (chewy, stick your teeth together stuff) or a hard boiled sugar candy?
Hmmm, completely different to anything that's made in the UK. For starters we wouldn't put cornstarch in a candy, whether a boiled suger or a toffee type candy. Maybe some of the factory made candy's have it in, but not something you would buy loose, by the ounce from a candy store. Plus we would have to substitute corn syrup for something else as its not readily available. Finally, salt would be a no-no.
One day I will have to visit and try them out. That plus twinkies.
I believe salt water taffy originated in Atlantic City, New Jersey (I'm a [New] Jersey girl and have to stay loyal to my home state!), along with the Miss America pageant. Very soft and chewy - can take half an hour to get through one piece (I mean the taffy, not the Miss America contestants...)

Definitely give salt water taffy a try, but I wouldn't worry about dying before having had a Twinkie. ;-)
Salt can be good in sweet stuff, often add sugar (not much!) to savory dishes, particularly when using tomatoes as it balances the tastes & cocoa to chilli.
Sweet and salty can be divine - witness the sublimity (is that a word?) of streaky bacon with pancakes and maple syrup. Ahhh...
We had pork steaks yesterday with a homemade honey and mustard gravy. We were actually fighting over the pan to dip some fries in it.
40 posts Page 3 of 3