The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Just wondered wether there's an app for this forum as I have to keep going on the web on my fone n it's mighty annoying! X
An app would be great, but not sure if Moogie can do such a thing. Mind you, I need an Android app...
you could try a generic forum app like http://www.appbrain.com/app/forum-runne ... orumrunner as this is a phpBB forum and that's on its list of supported types.
Maybe Moogie could set the forum up for use with Tapatalk?
I had a look at Forum Runner, it gets some pretty bad reviews and it's not free - at £1.28, do they think we are made of money? :)

Tapatalk looks pretty neat and works on Android and, if you really must, iPhone too...

What do you think Moogie?
I'll try it on a tablet tonight
Sorry, there's no app and as I'm not an app dev it's not something I can do. Personally I prefer websites to apps, but that's just me :) I can't see what's annoying about opening your browser app and clicking on your bookmark to here compared with opening an app, it's only one step more and you have the full functionality of the forums.

But then I also hate mobile sites, especially when there's no way of getting back on to the full site and it just keeps redirecting you to their boringly basic version ;) Modern smartphones (and mine isn't even very modern, about 3 years old or more now) can handle most properly coded websites perfectly these days.

As far as I know the phpBB tapatalk mod is a bit sketchy and it certainly won't support the tracker.
Fair enough M, the website is easy enough to navigate on my phone. I wouldn't post from it though cos I hate writing on that wretched thing. For a touch-typer it's so slow compared to a proper keyboard.

Now before I start a rant about the merits of touch-typing and why primary schools should teach it, I will bite my fingers and stop right here... ;)
Just had a bit more of a look into tapatalk and it seems there have been a lot of security & privacy issues with it as well as some kind of disagreement with the makers of phpBB, meaning it has never achieved recognised/authorised mod status. I would be cautious about installing the tapatalk modification.
dominic wrote: Fair enough M, the website is easy enough to navigate on my phone. I wouldn't post from it though cos I hate writing on that wretched thing. For a touch-typer it's so slow compared to a proper keyboard.

Now before I start a rant about the merits of touch-typing and why primary schools should teach it, I will bite my fingers and stop right here... ;)

I use the swype keyboard which I find much much better than tapping the virtual keys on the tiny phone keyboard, and because I touch type and know where the keys are, swiping is pretty fast.
Yes I use swype too, but the predictive text is surprisingly bad and it doesn't know to put spaces after a full stop! I can use it quite quickly (well, nothing like touch-typing and it requires so much more concentration... sorry nearly started the rant again) but then I spend five minutes trying to correct the stupid auto-corrections. I try to write Doh and it absolutely refuses to accept it and changes it to Dog. When I correct it again, it just overwrites my change. There must be some way of fixing this but I just see the red mist... :)

Dominic (working on a proper keyboard now...)
Mine puts spaces after the full stops and you can add words you often use like Doh. In my settings for the swype keyboard I have auto-spacing ticked and under word suggestion I have suggest words during typing ticked. If I tap in a new word, such as d-o-h and then tap on the word doh in the suggestion bar, up pops a + symbol which if I tap on it adds the word to the dictionary. Perhaps mine is a different version to yours. It came preinstalled with the phone (Samsung Galaxy S2).

Not that mine doesn't have annoyances, but it is still better than tapping in each letter at a time!

(Working on a proper keyboard too)
Thanks Caroline yes mine is S2 as well. I finally found the swype settings and made a few changes - including adding doh to the dictionary. Doh! Still although it adds spaces between words automatically, it doesn't add a space after a full stop, I always have to do that manually.

I agree swype is much less bad than the standard smartphone keyboard, but my current swype 8wpm is so frustrating. I see some people have managed 50wpm+ so I guess it's just a new skill I need to develop (and probably won't).
How did you get the wpm stats Dominic?
I've got an SII too and can type really well on a keyboard but would struggle to get o 8wpm on the phone.
21 posts Page 1 of 2