My testimonal
21 Mar 2013, 12:27
My testimonal I have just sent to Emmie for the book.
May help inspire the new starters.
I have changed a few of the personal details to not out myself

“As a 5ft 4”, 44 year old mother, I had quite given up any realistic ideas of losing any considerable weight, a few pounds maybe but nothing that would be noticed or actually make me feel better about my body and future. I never really followed diets, after watching my mum yo yo diet for years while growing up, and seeing friends lose weight only to put it back on again after a year or so. I had resigned myself to a life of being 2 stone heavier than when I was in my 20’s but I hated my body and though happy enough generally it was the one part of my life I was dissatisfied with.

After Christmas and a huge shock on the scales I decided enough was enough, I was my heaviest ever weight at 11.10lb and I couldn’t bear the thought of creeping over to the 12 stone mark. I also had back issues, a low grade prolapsed disc and my Osteopath kindly told me my back would benefit greatly from losing a little weight, as he so gently put it.

I started calorie counting and stepped up the exercise. It worked. I lost 6lb but it was so boring. I soon got fed up with the constant calorie counting, the weighing of portions, the denial of my favorite treats. Looking for inspiration to keep me motivated, I read a thread on a popular website “mumsnet” about a diet called the 5.2 diet and thought I’d investigate further as the women were very positive about it and many had good results on weight loss.

I watched the horizon documentary by Michael Mosley and I was hooked!
Not only could the diet help prevent altzeimers and diabetes but I may be able to lose weight too, wow, it seemed too good to be true. I switched to this way of eating the following Monday, in mid January and have never looked back.

I won’t lie, the first week was hard, not eating was not something I was used to, though I did often skip lunch after having a late breakfast. I thought about food all day. In the beginning, I did have a little vegetable soup at 2pm and a small dinner of a vegetable type risotto or stir-fry with a little chicken or egg/ham. The first week I was hungry at night but slept ok on the whole.

After I got used to the above, I decided to go onto 24 hrs fast, so I had nothing until 8pm and ate my 500 calories with my husband, just tea, coffee and herbal teas to keep me going. I have found my hunger varies with my hormone levels and the week before my period is a lot harder, I need to have an apple or soup that week in the late afternoon to keep me going but after my period has started it’s so easy and I can get through any hunger now with no problems. I even enjoy the feeling of emptiness. I can exercise and I feel alert and light it’s wonderful.

On non fast days the freedom is liberating, I have not had to miss out on any social occasions, no one even notices I’m on a diet as when I meet friends I make sure it’s a feed day and I can eat what I like. I can bake and eat the results rather than having to endure watching my family devour my creations. I also make wiser choices with my food, taking smaller portions naturally and I have not been snacking as much, happy to wait till my next proper meal. No guilt or binging has occurred.

So, that’s my journey on 5.2 and I’m sure you want to know the best part.
In 11 weeks (9 of them on 5.2) I have lost a total of 17lbs, my weight is now
10.7lb with a BMI of 25. I’m a size 10/12 bottoms and 14 top going from a tight size 14 bottoms and 18 top, nearly all the fat had come of my middle and even better I have been signed off my Osteopath and have had no back pain. I have even been on holiday and had a week’s break from 5.2, amazing.

This way of eating has totally transformed my life, It’s something I feel I can sustain for life going to 6.1 to maintain and I feel really positive I can achieve even more and get down to 10.2 lb my pre wedding weight of over 10 years ago and a BMI well in the normal range. My husband is so impressed he is thinking of trying it for the health benefits even though he is naturally slender.

Thank you so much Mr Mosley for making me feel young and healthy again.’’