Cholesterol & weight reduced
19 Feb 2013, 19:04
At the beginning of September at 13stone 11lbs. I was recently invited to a NHS health check and went for my appointment today. I am now 12stone 3lbs, my blood pressure remains textbook normal, but the bit that was going to interest me most was my cholesterol level. I had a fasting blood test for this sometime last year and got a level of 7.6. The doctor wanted to medicate me but, since in all other ways I'm 'orribly 'ealthy, I persuaded him to give me a chance to lower it myself. I adjusted my diet and went back 6 months later and it had only dropped the tiniest amount, however the balance between LDL and HDL was much better so since it hadn't gone up he continued to allow me to try for myself. Then Michael Mosley's Horizon programme was broadcast and I started 5:2 at the beginning of September. Today my health check with the practice nurse included a pinprick cholesterol test and it's now down to 5.8. I told her that it is since starting 5:2 and she said keep doing what you're doing because it's working. Can't tell you how happy I am. Still no rotten statins and if I want grapefruit I can have grapefruit!. Our neighbours have a tree of pink grapefruit in their Spanish holiday home. Since they can't eat them because of being on statins they bring some back to me each year. They are beautiful and I wouldn't want to miss out on them.