Hi Everyone. I've actually been following a similar version of this diet based around the genesis project, research into Breast cancer prevention. It was initially highlighted about a year ago in Jan 2012 in Good Housekeeping magazine. I started in about mid June 2012, so around the same time as Michael Moseley. I was really excited when I saw the Horizon programme was covering it, as by then I was all ready getting really good results and had decided I could see myself sticking with it much longer term than any other way of eating to achieve and maintain a healthy weight I'd so far tried.

After the first few weeks I settled into it quite easily. I've played around with different methods of following the diet, and I seem to prefer the eating nothing all day and eat a reasonable 500 kcal dinner method. Some days, if I'm feeling OK, I can even have less and make it to next morning. I'll then have a really good but healthy breakfast, based around eggs with either bacon or ham, sometimes even smoked salmon, with seedy toast or Ryvita.

I've learnt loads about my natural hunger impulses through this way of eating, and I'm really wondering where this "3 meals a day" routine came from historically? I was on weightwatchers and forcing myself to eat a breakfast every day, when I naturally don't really feel a need to eat until about 10 am, and even then, I'm happy with a glass of milk and an apple, instead of a carb heavy bowl of porridge. After the first few months of the 5:2 diet I realised I just don't need to eat if my body isn't asking for food. I have learnt what real hunger is, as opposed to peckishness (probably caused my seeing food). In fact I don't get really hungry, uncomfortably so, until half way through the second day. I had tried 2 consecutive days, but it was too harsh for me and the loss of concentration on the second day was causing problems (I even managed to book a trip away with hotel and flight dates out of sync!). I'm glad I did it a few times though, as I now know that real primal hunger doesn't occur until midway through the second day. Day one is more about staying away from food triggers. I am starting to feel a bit hungry by the end of the day, but I have developed a routine of allowing myself a low cal hot choc drink treat in the evening. I look forward to it and I know allowing a food treat isn't necessarily the right thing, but it works for me.

The main thing I want to say is that although the fasting days can sometimes be hard, it's got easier over time and I'm so glad I learnt about this. I can really see myself using this method of eating for the long term. It's the first "diet plan" that has ever made me feel that after 6 months. I don't necessarily enjoy the fasting days, but I don't hate them either. And I have my hot chocolate to look forward to tonight :)

Well, I could write a book about my experiences myself, but I'll stop here. I'm sure I'll be seeing you all on various threads over time.