The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Buddies
14 Dec 2014, 19:33
Hi there
Is there anyone out there who would like to be my fasting buddy. I usually fast on Monday and Thursday and could do with some support
Brooke
Re: Buddies
14 Dec 2014, 19:50
Hi @Brooke - @raggy is at a similar stage to you so I wonder if you two might be appropriate buddies?

post211827.html#p211827
14 Dec 2014, 20:12
Brooke wrote: Hi there
Is there anyone out there who would like to be my fasting buddy. I usually fast on Monday and Thursday and could do with some support
Brooke

@@Brooke Hiya, Seems like we are at the same stage and both looking for fasting buddys... Id love to buddy up with you :wink:
16 Dec 2014, 15:18
Hi raggy
Thanks for the reply.
I'm on a feast day today and had some chocolate cake, delicious! It was to celebrate getting to my goal weight. I find the hardest bit of 5:2 is the fast days when I get REALLY hungry. Do you have any tips that have helped you
Brooke
16 Dec 2014, 15:51
Hi @brooke

Lucky you having cake.... I'm sooooo envious.
I find eating during the day makes me more hungry so I just eat an evening meal on fast days.
So how long have you been doing 5:2? So you've reached you're goal already?
20 Dec 2014, 22:10
Hi Raggy
I've been doing the diet about 8 weeks and have lost 20lbs, which I'm very pleased about. I will try just eating in the evening on fast days as you suggest. How are we going to manage over Christmas!!
I was exercising as well, but I've damaged a ligament in my knee so thats out.
Good luck with the diet and have a good (but not too good!) Christmas
20 Dec 2014, 22:27
You must be very pleased with your results so far @Brooke, it's a great start! :)
The festive period is a challenge for most of us. It's probably sensible not to try to lose weight over this period, even to accept a slight gain, knowing that you have the tools to shift that gain very quickly. Generally the weight gained will be mainly water as a result of the extra carbs we tend to eat at this time, so this can be lost with a couple of fasts.
I am pretty sure there is a thread with tips on how to manage eating this time of year - which would include such suggestions as only having one meal a day if you know it is going to be a big one, having as many long periods without eating as is possible and sensible, really savouring the richer foods and waiting for as long as possible before deciding whether you really want that second helping, trying to find days where you may still be able to fast, or at least eat lightly, and so on. Good luck with it. :clover:
Btw, it may be worth tagging @raggy's name when you want to make contact - it can be so easy to miss posts. (You tag by being in full edit mode, then selecting the name, and clicking on the tag icon. Use Preview to check the tag has worked - the name will appear in colour.)
21 Dec 2014, 03:55
@Brooke, congratulations on reaching your goal!!! :victory: losing 20 pounds in 8 weeks is awesome and much faster than the norm! I think we should be asking you for tips!
As far as coping when you're really hungry on fast days, here are my tips
- first- ignore hunger pain, drink water or tea, usually hunger pain goes away after 10 minutes.
- have a bottle of fizzy water in fridge. Drink freely. This can fill the hole and really helped me in the early days.
- try a berocca-
Try a metamucil- it turns into a gel ball in your tummy and fills you up. I think you can have this 3_ times a day.
-my favourite- home made salty chicken broth. Freeze in 1 cup portions- you will feel instantly better.
If you really need to eat stir fry some mushrooms, celery,cabbage anf baby/ English spinach in spray oil with a bit of salt - a nice bowl full will probably only be about 80 calories and you'll feel great after as its so nutrient dense but all these veg are quite low in calories.
Good luck!
Xxx Julianna
21 Dec 2014, 11:47
Hi@Brooke
Sorry to hear about your ligament and hope you can get back to working out soon.
I think its fantastic that you've manged to loose 20lbs in 8 weeks.... how many times were you fasting per week?
I've had a busy week and not been able to get to the gym but also my weight has jumped by 5lbs.......I am assuming its water weight but still not a great feeling :frown:

I'll be fasting tomorrow and fingers are crossed that the weight comes off again soon
23 Dec 2014, 14:41
Thank you for all your hints and tips. I was fasting 3 days but I'm going back to 2 now that I've reached my goal weight. I'm going to try to be sensible over Christmas - not easy as there is so much tempting food around
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Brooke
10 posts Page 1 of 1