The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi Im Sharon and I have just started the diet/lifestyle with my husband. I just turned 50 and realized how much weight I had amassed over the last 17 years....slowly crept up on me. I began the diet last week at 143144 pounds weighed myself midweek and found that I had dropped 141 ..but today after the first week I am back to where I was when I started! at 143 . I am very disheartened...is this normal anyone had a similar experience? I am hoping I hadn't over eaten on my non fast days ...my husband on the other hand has lost 4 pounds after doing this for two weeks without any gains.
Welcome @usshaz! Good for you for giving 5:2 a go.

Weight loss on 5:2 is usually not quick - though frustratingly, men do seem to lose weight more easily (that applies to any diet I think!!).

Short term small changes in weight don't tell you anything - changes in hydration levels and retention/ elimination of food waste can mask any loss of fat.

Do give this way of eating a go for at least 6 weeks and then see what is happening - perhaps try to resist too much weighing. You are obviously mindful of the possibility of overeating on non-fast days. The evidence is that most people don't overeat in any significant way on these days, but do try to be aware of how hungry you are and eating as nutritiously as you can. Perhaps there are some less healthy eating habits you could look to change too - though don't try to do too much.

If you have just gradually put on weight over the years, and haven't had a life time of dieting, then it may make it easier for you to lose weight.

Best wishes and good luck, and do keep us posted on your progress and share your experiences. Read the LEARN pages and discussion threads of interest - there is a lot of info here! :clover: :smile:
Get used to the scales bouncing around. A liter of water (a quart) weighs two lbs so 1/2 a qt is a lb. Easy to gain that lb or lose it in a day just by drinking water. Just stay the course and the fat lbs have to come off. It's pure science. I like watching youtube and all the different information and misinformation when it comes to dieting. One thing I'm sure of now, sugar is not our friend.
I’m the same
Started 3 weeks ago - lost 3 pounds immediately and not a thing since and in fact crept up 1 pound this morning
Feeling a bit fed up as during the week I cut out carbs as well and don’t drink alcohol 3 days a week
Thank you, Im srill yo yoing but am determined to keep doing this, I will keep on posting and recording the results! Am going to try eating food higher in protein on non fast days to keep me satiated, and am going to gym 4x week just fir half an hour!
Welcome Usshaz and Debs!

Consider a small piece of cheese instead of more protein. It's more satiating, and being essentially non-reactive to insulin it won't rouse the hunger demon.

Daily weight variation can be frustrating but it's quite common to gain 2-3 pounds everyday, to disappear over night. Consider using the tracker option here to visualize progress over time. With it, "down hill" from left to right is good!
6 posts Page 1 of 1