The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi from Down Under...
27 Feb 2016, 03:40
G'Day all,

I live in Queensland and I'm new to this site.
I started with 5:2 (or something like that, sometimes I can squeeze in more fasting days, sometimes less - depends on whether I have to cook or not) after Christmas 2015.
My thyroid is underfunctioning, I am on medication, which doesn't make losing weight any easier. Sigh.
My metabolism is quite funny as well... it seems like it is saying "Ok, I get it, you decided to eat less calories? Fine, then that's enough for me and I make you gain weight with even less!" Quite frustrating.

5:2 is working so far, even though I dont find it easier to fast the longer I do it. I try not to eat at all on fasting days, apart from some veggie broth.

If you have any questions - fire away! ;-)

justme
Re: Hi from Down Under...
27 Feb 2016, 07:33
Hi and welcome from me, looks like you've got a handle on things, if you're struggling pop in here and get that much needed support and distraction. Surviving on veggie broth is a good idea, when do you have it? Some fasters find that once they have something it switches on the Hunger monster, so leaving it till later in the day could help if you're having it early.
Good luck and come back to let us know how you're doing.
Visit the science bits and I will tag Tracie as she is also a thyroid expert. @tracieknits
27 Feb 2016, 10:43
Hi @justme67 and welcome. There are quite a few Aussies on here. I'm in Sydney. I agree with everything that @carieoates says and the best bit of advice I can give you is to measure your waist and note the result. You will often find your waist measurement decreases even when the scales don't shift. Check in often and good luck with your journey.
27 Feb 2016, 12:43
Thanks for the nice welcome!

I am originally from Germany, English is my second language - I moved to QLD 4,5 years ago :smile: and love it here!
I am almost 49, I have three grown-up kids (1x26 and 2x24) and a partner, who is supporting me a lot.

That's why I am here - I think I might need some support on the way to keep me going. I am very keen on battling my weight, this time for once and for all.
I try to reduce carbohydrates, we eat tons of veggies and I cook basically every day.

Also I try to have my broth as late as possible, usually sometime in the afternoon. Mostly it helps with the craving.
But I realised when I start eating (sometimes I just wanna try what I am cooking) then I find it very hard to stop.
So I am better off not eating at all...

justme
28 Feb 2016, 19:03
Hi! I find the forum very supportive and often find links to very informative stuff. Good luck to you, check in often!
28 Feb 2016, 23:40
Thanks, ravingkiko!
At the moment I think I need all the support I can get.
Did 9 days of fasting in February and haven't lost a single gram. Sigh.
Seems my metabolism is saying: Fine, if that's what I am getting, I'm gonna store whatever I can.
justme
29 Feb 2016, 00:15
*waves* Hi from a fellow Queenslander :smile:
Onya for finding this site - it was a great help to me while I was actively try to lose, and still is in my maintenance. It sounds like you've had a great start, even if the scales aren't proving it for you. As Pilchards mentioned, keep an eye on other was of measuring your progress, such as cms or the fit of clothes, or even blood test levels. There's a whole heap going on with fasting that's not just going to be reflected on the scales. Everyone's journey is going to be different, and yep, with Thyroid complications yours will be too. I remember a few interesting threads on thyroid issues and fasting - try and do a search and see what others have experienced.
Enjoy the fasting process (even those inevitable hard days), and may the fast be with you! :wink:
29 Feb 2016, 02:06
Hi from Tasmania,@justme67. I am a forum addict. I come here every fast day and log into the Fasting Today thread. Often we Aussies have to start it as we get there first. I fast Mondays and Wednesdays and have been doing it for a long time. I initially lost 13 kgs but I have put some of that back on and now I stay the same weight, even though I fast 2 days a week. That's as much as I can do. I'd like to be slimmer, but there you are, my body won't do it. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing you around.
29 Feb 2016, 04:12
Hi Justme67! Welcome! I never really thought about it, Sallyo, that you all are in the future, and we here in the American West are just dragging along behind. :doh: This is a good place to come and share triumphs and troubles and frustrations--oh, and a great place to laugh anytime Ballerina checks in! It is frustrating sometimes dealing with the metabolism slowing down and health related issues. Pounds that went away so quickly when we were young seem to move in more stubbornly now. Oh, and don't let's talk about such things as droopy skin! :razz: But, just think, even if the pounds/kilograms aren't flying off us, they aren't flying on either! As long as we keep working at it, we are going forward and not backward. :wink:
29 Feb 2016, 08:55
Thanks everyone!
I'm not too far from Brissie, just about 70 km up North.
Somehow I think it's about time to introduce some sports... need to go nordic walking again.
But it's sooo bloody hot and humid! *g*
Sorry, I am a winter girl... everything above 25 C is hot to me. Yeah, I know, wrong country... LOL. Thank goodness for AC's! (Tassie must be nice, I have never been there, but visited Sydney a few times!)
This time I won't give up... the first 1,5 months were pretty good, lost about 4,5 kg. That can't be it.
But also in the past it always took me a while to go under the 10 marks... 80, 70... once I succeeded it was going down again.
So there is hope! ;-)

justme
29 Feb 2016, 12:49
Hi and welcome!!!

While I'm not a thyroid expert, I've been struggling with thyroid issues for about five years now. I have Grave's Disease (hyperactive thyroid - too fast) and the treatment for this means sometimes my thyroid is too fast, sometimes it's too slow and sometimes it works close to properly. Weight loss with thyroid issues is quite tough. I've been stalled about two years now, fluctuating within about a 10 pound range. I need to get motivated to get fasting again, but I just haven't been. The good news is I've maintained a roughly 45 pound loss, even when I'm eating way too much.

I know I need to reduce carbs. It's just really hard.

Perhaps I should try not eating at all on fast days. You're right, once I start, it's very hard to stop lately. I start a fast day with great intentions, and even manage a healthy dinner, then by about 8pm it seems all bets are off and I'm just eating things I wasn't supposed to eat.

In any case, it sounds like you're doing well - or as well as can be expected with an underfunctioning thyroid. Welcome!
01 Mar 2016, 23:16
HI Tracieknits!

So there is hope... :smile: Thanks!
45 pounds would suit me fine...
I am trying to eat less carbs, but we love Italian food. We are getting better, though. Lots o veggies und not neccessarily pasta all the time.

justme
12 posts Page 1 of 1