The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi from Sweden!
16 May 2016, 09:17
Hi everyone, my name is Diana and i'm from Sweden. I have been on this forum for a few months but always kept quiet, I have read postes to motivate myself so that I can keep to my diet (DODO diet) But I am having a hard time and are not quiet sure if the time is right for me to lose weight. To make a long storie short; I have a severe depression and PTSD, I have been in and out of the hospitale due to suicide thoughts/attempts and so on. Today i have been out of the hospitale for a week and it's going okay, but I have a problem. When I feel sad, I eat candy/cake or drink cola because I know that the sugar makes me feel better, but it is also showing on the scale (i'm on 109kg/240lbs) and I would love to get down to my pre- depression/pregnancy weight which was 62kg/136lbs.
Re: Hi from Sweden!
16 May 2016, 14:59
Hi Diane,nice to meet you and welcome to the forum..its a very quiet forum of late,used to be ultra busy.

Sorry you have had such a hard time of it ,and that life continues to be a bit of a struggle right now.

I wonder like you if this is a really good time for you to fast,specially tackling Alternate Day fasting. While you have quite a bit to lose,it seems rather a harsh regime for you at the moment,given you have a lot to contend with.
Are you receiving any counselling and if so,can yr counsellor address with you the emotional reasons behind why sugar makes you feel better. I agree with you and so would many others that eating sugary and carby foods can be a great comfort at sad times,even tho we all know it does us no good at all in the long run.
Perhaps you could look at other ways of comforting yrself..i am trying to give myself non food related treats rather than eating chocolates etc when i need cheeering up. At same time you could maybe fast in a more gentle way...perhaps just one or two days a week for now.
I know people with a historyof eating disorders shouldnt fast but I'm unsure whether this applies to those who suffer depression / PTSD ..hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon to advise you better than I can.
I think you're very brave and honest and I commend how youre trying to take very positive steps to improve your life...I wish you all the very best and sending big hugs to you xx don't think you're alone,a lot of people here battling with weight and health issues too ..asI said its quiet here lately but its very warm and supportive meeting place with lots to read if you have a browse round xxx
16 May 2016, 16:24
Hi Diane and welcome to our little friendly forum!
I think Candy is right - I'm not sure you should be worrying about fasting at the moment. Having depression is SO difficult and to add fasting on to that may not be wise. What about starting with one day a week and see how that goes?
Counselling certainly helped me. Are you having any?
I'm going through a bad patch myself and, like you, I always reach for comfort food (usually in the form of chocolate of which I have just eaten loads again - stupid girl!)
Anyway, thank you for joining us and I wish you all the very best.
Bean xxxx
16 May 2016, 18:39
Hello @Diana Saunte, welcome!

Sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time. In addition to a counselor, what kind of friend/family support do you have? We're happy to help, but it's difficult from Seattle to go out for a coffee!

I think we can all relate to comfort eating; some light (fast) days, I find it harder to manage my moods without resorting to eating. I'm not picky about what I eat for comfort--not broccoli, though!

Considering that since you are starting from a higher weight, perhaps a more basic 5.2 would work. Losing some weight might also help your emotional/mental outlook; a feeling of progress while still being kind and gentle to yourself. Though you know that you eat for comfort, maybe keeping a journal would help you explore the details of these feelings, rather than just generic "sad" or "mad" or whatever. Others also have the right idea in looking at non-food ways of self-comfort: a bath? a nice walk outside? For me, reading a book is always helpful; my family knows if I'm upset, allowing me to read for a bit will settle me right down.
Have you heard about flower (Bach) remedies? I've found them to be a very gentle and effective help for undesired emotional states.

Here's a pdf I put together for a friend of mine on the basics of 5.2, some here have found it helpful.
5-2 et al.pdf
5.2 basics
(590.6 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
16 May 2016, 20:54
Hi Diana, welcome to the forum. Please don't keep quiet, this forum is much too quiet at the moment, it can be a great place for support. If you're not sure the time is right for you to lose weight, maybe losing weight shouldn't be your focus. 5:2 can be frustratingly slow but it does work in the long run. Forget about weight loss for now and use 5:2 as a way of gaining better eating habits. Weight loss can be a happy side effect and not the focus. After a few fast days you will probably find your eating habits changing without you having to think about it. I'm not saying you'll suddenly stop going to sugary treats for comfort but you will do it less. Sorry I don't know as much as I should about depression or PTSD, I do know most people feel good the day after a fastday. Even if we eat things we shouldn't on non-fastdays we don't feel guilty because we know we had a good fast and will be doing another soon. I do feel fasting lifts my mood and walking is even better for keeping me in a positive frame of mind. Maybe you should try a fast, just do it and commit to it for one day, see how you feel the next day, then take it from there. Pop in anytime you want to chat or if you have any questions :) Wishing you luck. :clover: :clover: :clover:
17 May 2016, 21:04
A very big welcome from me, @diana saunte!

Your post struck a real chord with me - thank you for sharing. The first thing to know is: you are not alone. The girls that have already posted have made some very good suggestions. DODO is quite hardcore if you jump straight into it. Did you build up to it by doing 5:2 first for a while? The very last thing you need to be is tough on yourself right now. Perhaps, like me, it's a habit? 5:2 is the exact opposite.....gentle and kind, whilst very effective.

I am a returning faster. This is my third attempt, but the second one hardly counts as I didn't stick at it for more than a couple of weeks. I comfort eat for England - it's the only way I know to be "kind" to myself. Except of course, it isn't. I have no idea how to be kind to myself in more sensible ways (and in my case, a hot bath just wouldn't cut it). I have lurched from depressive episode to depressive episode for the past 26 or so years. Though I take anti-depressants, I find talking therapy to be the best sort of help. Maybe the pills make life a bit more manageable, but they can't change anyone's situation/life....whereas we can change our perspective if we are helped to see things a different way.

This forum is very friendly and supportive. There are many success stories to read and be inspired by, so I really recommend spending time reading people's blogs as well as historical posts. Not only that, but people seem to share similar experiences and maybe the anonymity helps to make it possible to share stuff - though of course, it's not compulsory...

I had success with 5:2 a couple of years ago (2014), losing just shy of 4 stone. I also gained confidence and a boost to my self-esteem, which is historically low. One of the best feelings was to actually feel in control of something for a change. Food stopped being such a focus and I enjoyed not having to think about food first thing in the morning once I moved to one meal a day (dinner).

Oh, it was all going so well up to August 2014....until I self-sabotaged. As usual, I took another nosedive depression-wise and the "to hell with it" mentality took over....which let me eat everything in sight and undo all my good work...and then some. Fast forward to right now and I stand here needing to lose 5 stone to be healthy. I started back last Monday 9th May...with a huge mountain to climb...and currently the determination to start climbing...

Hopefully, Diana, we can get to know you a little and you us and we can support you with whatever you decide to do. Like many people, I am great at supporting others but my own worst enemy and critic at the same time as doing so! What goes around comes around, they say, so feel free to post whenever you get the urge and we will be there to help & encourage! Little goals and recognising every small achievement is the way forward, I think. That & measuring yourself with a tape measure so as not to be reliant on the fickle scales! Also, I enjoy thinking of each pound lost as two packs of butter - that really puts things into perspective.

Hope I haven't gone on too much? I type like I talk, ie lots!

Wishing you the very best of luck going forwards xx
17 May 2016, 21:23
Great to see you @hazelnut20 ...having another bash at it..same here! :like:
As Mandela said,Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” xx
17 May 2016, 21:35
Ooh, I like that, @candicemarie! What a great way of looking at it...

God loves a trier as they say! Lovely to see you're still around, because it is all rather quiet compared to a few years ago when I joined. Having said that, I should be the last person to be surprised when life gets in the way of sitting in front of a screen endlessly reading and/or posting! "Life" being more than just the everyday goings on, but including illness and depression etc. I suppose it is important to remember that many will have reached their goals and now spend their days in maintenance mode - which requires less input maybe? How would I know??!!!! I've not stuck around long enough to join that club....but we'll see!

How are you getting on? Good I hope! I've joined the May Challenge in an attempt to kickstart my accountability - though I only came back last Monday 9th - so will be playing catch-up! Lovely to see The Bean back in the fold too!

Sending you a cheery wave and a big hug xx
24 May 2016, 10:14
Hi all! Thank you all so much for the nice comments, it warms my heart knowing that I really am not alone in this rough fight.
I have been going to a "talking person" which both agrees and disagree with this diet, if it would mess up with my medication, if I would be able to handle the weeks where the scale wouldn't have gone down, and so on. But I know from experience (done 5:2 before and lost 17kg and did another diet and lost 20kg so i know it's a slow progress that have both ups and downs) so I don't think dieting will be that hard on me, special if I just keep my mind on the goal. I don't have much of an appetite, so days with only drinking water works great for me.

Also i have a biking goal.. driving 100km on june 11th, so I guess it would be nice with a few kgs less to bike around with, right now i'm biking 20km every 2-3 day of the week but would love to bike atleast 5 days a week.
I will try and keep you updated on everything.
Thanks again !
25 May 2016, 17:24
Wow, 100km on a bike! My bottom is sending yours sympathy already!
I've just seen your post, and your comment about the weeks when maybe the weight doesn't come off. Have you measured yourself all over? I just did the obvious places, but wish I had done wrist, neck etc, because they all lost weight. And as you may have already discovered, sometimes you lose inches even when it doesn't show on the scales. So it can be motivating to see measurements changing when the scales give the 'wrong' weight!
Good luck!
25 May 2016, 21:06
Welcome to the forum!!! Should we assume that Trifecta and Diana are the same person?

I can say I struggled with depression after the birth of my son, years ago. I needed an SSRI. I was on prozac for a couple of years, then lexapro for a couple of years. They really helped a lot and got me out of a bad place. Of course the downside of them is they make you gain weight. It's probably been a decade since I used medication, and I'm happy to say I've been able to do well without it now. It was a temporary, but desperately needed measure to battle my depression back then.

Now for you, miss @Hazelnut20 -- I'm so sorry you've been going through it!! You're such a lovely person and you've been missed when you disappear. I'm glad to see you back.

I totally get it about sugar making you feel better.

I think you've gotten some great advice, and I'm glad to hear about the biking. That's wonderful!!!
25 May 2016, 22:21
Thank you for your lovely comment @tracieknits - it's nice to be back in the fold and to know that I am really no different to many others who have returned once or more!

How is this week going for you @diana saunte? Please let us know how you are...
12 posts Page 1 of 1