The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hypothyroid
13 Apr 2016, 14:40
I was lucky enough to find FastDay and decided to jump on board. I am hypothyroid and have had NO luck in dropping the pounds that have crept up over the years. I would like to know if anyone who has thyroid problems has adjusted to this way of eating and had luck in loosing weight and keeping it off? Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to a better life of eating.
Kat105
Re: Hypothyroid
13 Apr 2016, 16:39
Hi Kat @Kat105 and welcome to the site! I have an under active thyroid and have always found the weight comes off slowly - but if you're in the right dose of thyroxine you should be ok. I did well with fasting, ending up doing the every other day fasting - but this wasn't sustainable for me. I then chose,Slimming World with which I have lost 1.5 stone - but then things slowe down considerably. The last fortnight I have returned to fasting 5:2 and have lost 3 pounds! It's working - hoorah!
In short, I think fasting works but you have to be careful on non-fast days!
Good luck ;-)
13 Apr 2016, 18:54
Hi Kat i am another one with an underactive thyroid
With fasting, it took five weeks before i lost a pound..was a bit discouraging ,but then i lost steadily
Most of us here keep an eye on the tape measure as well as the scales as you can drop inches even if the scales isnt showing a loss
The only thing i am unsure of re underactive thyroid and fasting is i have read that we shouldn't fast more than fourteen hours ( tho i sometimes do)
I find that as long as i follow the rules of any diet/ fasting,i will lose weight ( so i guess the thyro medication is working)
But like nursebean said,be careful on non fast days! :wink: xx
13 Apr 2016, 20:14
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I have been hypo for 25 years and dealing with American doctors that just tell you that maybe you should eat less; if I did I would starve, they just think that if you take your medication and eat less you will loose the weight; not so. I finally found a female doc that is hypo herself and she agreed to switch me to Armour medication and I finally feel normal again and have had a little lose of pounds but not enough. I am quit active with my business and eat very sensible because my husband has to stay on a heart healthy diet but just never budge on the scales. I have lost 2" on my waist line and 2 pounds since starting this FastDay plan and any one knows that 2 pounds lost is like 20 to someone who doesn't suffer from thyroid problems so I am hoping this will be the answer to my prayers. May your day be filled with joyful weight loss!
Kat105
4 posts Page 1 of 1