The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Just a hello!
12 Jul 2017, 21:00
Hi there ! I am new here and new to 5: 2 intermittent fasting but I am encouraged after ready so much great info on this site . I am a Canadian mom of 4 kids all still at home in different stages of post secondary education . Life is busy! I have been diagnosed hypothyroid for about 8 years but I think I was hypo long before that . I have quit a bit of weight to loose and am feeling hopeful after reading that other people with Thyroid disease have lost following 5:2 . My last doctors appointment my doctor mention surgery but that is not something that I even want to consider . Besides my hypo I am healthy . I have followed low carb in the past with some success so I am planning on keeping my carbs below 100 on my eating days . My first fast day went well besides a headache and I am hoping that the next goes as good . Looking forward to getting to know you guys . :smile:
Re: Just a hello!
12 Jul 2017, 23:19
Hi and welcome @Irenie!

I'm hypothyroid as well. I had radioactive ablation from hyper/Graves disease and my thyroid is in its death throes. :-P

I"m down 70 pounds so far, the first 40 were strictly 5:2, then the last 30 were a combo of weight watchers and 5:2. but now I've gone reduced carb after my new endocrinologist said I should. He suggested 60g carbs per day! My last one had said anywhere between 100 and 150 was fine, and to aim for 125. So I'm giving it a shot with aiming for low carb light days and having my splurgy carb days at 125. 60 is a bit low, imho, although I know that's not as low as a real keto diet.

My endocrinologist also loves intermittent fasting and said "go for it!!" and he also recommended the dietdoctor.com site.

It's taken me a long time to lose the weight and I've changed an awful lot of bad habits to far healthier ones. I feel much healthier than I've ever felt before and that's something, even though I have 40 to 50 pounds left to go. :-)

Good luck!
13 Jul 2017, 04:26
Welcome @Irenie!

Good to hear your first fast went well, and that you have done a lot of reading around this website - lots of useful info. Drinking more may help prevent headaches - I like to drink a glass of warm water, sometimes with a squeeze of lemon juice, first thing each day and half an hour before meals - or throughout the day, on fast days.

Tracie's experience and advice will be a great help for you, given you are dealing with the same condition. And you having done low carb before will also assist. Hopefully adding in a couple of fast days a week will start to make a difference. Do remember that this "diet" may only result in a pound a week loss on average, but over time I can assure you that mounts up!

Good luck and best wishes. :clover: :smile:
13 Jul 2017, 16:23
Welcome, @irenie!

I would also recommend for headaches: your usual amount of caffeine (just with as little milk as possible, and no sugar) and a salty broth.

Good luck! :clover: :clover: :clover:
13 Jul 2017, 16:44
Thanks for the warm welcome .. !
5 posts Page 1 of 1