The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
My name is Sandie, I am 54. I have been following visual impact cardio and have lost 30lb. I have decided to add IF. I would like to lose another 50lb. However I have read conflicting reports for hypothyroid patients. I take armor thyroid and it is so much better than a synthetic.
I have completed 2 24hr fasts dinner to dinner with no results as yet. I am looking for a bit of advice.
Nice to meet you all!
Sandie
Hi @Sandiec and welcome to the forums!

I have graves disease and had my thyroid irradiated. As a result I am now hypothyroid. I take 75 levothyroxin daily.

Good news, my endocrinologist is a HUGE fan of fasting!! I told him I do eating windows (only eating between noon and 8pm) and occasional fast days and he said that was great. He asked me to combine it with low carb/high fat in order to get my last 40/50 pounds off. He recommended cutting carbs to 60g per day and said as much fasting as I could handle was fabulous.
Hi, thanks for sharing. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. However your story really encourages me!
I am curious have you ever checked out armour thyroid? The switch for me was amazing. It took a short time for my doctor to get the dosing correct. But I feel so much better on it. It is a prescription med.
Sandie
My plan is to see how I tolerate levothyroxin, and if I continue to tolerate it well, I'll stay on it. If I find myself not doing well on it, I plan to switch to the Armour Thyroid. But so far, knock wood, I feel great on the levothyroxin. It's been about 8 months and I have great energy and feel really good right now.

I have a friend who is hypothryoid and was not doing well on the levothyroxin - constantly exhausted - and switching to Armour was a huge improvement for her. I know it's a great medicine. But I have not switched yet because (1) I am doing very well right now, and I don't want to rock the boat, (2) it's more expensive , and (3) it's nice to know there's an option waiting in the wings if I need more help/better meds later.

I'm glad you are feeling better on it! Slow thyroid is just so debilitating - people don't realize how insidious and pervasive it is, but it really affects just about all of our bodily functions, including cognitive function.
I have been hypothyroid for a long time. I was really struggling before adding T3 to my regime. I have a feeling my body doesn't do much with T4 although I still take it. There was a situation in the UK last year where it seemed that T3 might become too expensive to be prescribed on the NHS ( or afforded by a normal person) and I did look at Armour then but so far I can get what I need. I have lost a lot of weight with 5:2 . There was a slight lag before I started to lose weight and my loss has been slower than some but it does work for me.
Happy to see you posting again @Lil!
@ lil I am from the UK originally, now in the US. I plan on starting next week, using a combination of the 16/8 and 5:2. Here's my question. To lose my original 30lb I used calories per week. So 1200 (that's 1000 in the uk)/day in the week with 2000 friday 4000 saturday and 3000 sunday. Should I continue this path, and adopt my IF stratergy. I count every calorie.
Thanks
Sandie
@sandiecAs you might see from my other post today I have only ever done simple 5:2 ie limiting calories on 2 days a week to 500 cal initially and now 400. I'm not sure how you would combine what you are doing now with 16:8 and 5:2 - seems complicated. If what you are doing now works why not just carry on unless you want the other health benefits from fasting. Someone else better read might be able to give you better advice
8 posts Page 1 of 1