The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone I'm new to the 5:2 ! I had my first fast day Tuesday and my second did the week is tomorrow!

I'm going out for dinner tonight and although I'm doing this for health I have a stone I want to shift! I'm fasting tomorrow but don't want to over do it out for a meal tonight. Is it easier to fast when you eat a bigger meal the night before? Or should I try to stick light still?

Thanks guys!!! Natalie :geek:
Hello @Tillykd and welcome.
Good luck with your new way of eating. Well done on your first successful fast.
This way of eating is very individual and by trial and error we find a way that works for us. Have a look at the huge variety of way discussed on the forum!
The original 5:2 is to have two 500 cal fasts and eat within your TDEE on other days. This would suggest eatingin moderation at your meal out tonight, but don't deprive yourself :bugeyes: If we are hard and set ourselves unrealistic unachievable goals we will fail.
If we are realistic we wil succeed. :victory:
Do enjoy your meal tonight and let us know how you get on.
I was fairly good! According to MFP I stayed within 2000 cal for the day and burnt 300 running. I'm on a fast today so won't eat my 500 cal till 8 tonight. I don't feel hungry yet but dizzy and a headache setting in! Hoping to get out the house in the fresh air and feel better. Curse my broken arm stopping me from working!!
Hi and welcome!!

I find fast days are easiest when I cut out carbs after dinner the night before. If I want a snack before bed, I do cheese, yogurt or nuts -- protein and fat.

I hate to say it, but I've really learned that carbs aren't my friend and I need to control my intake. That means watching when I eat them and trying to never eat them without protein and fat to balance out their effects.

Best of luck!
Welcome @Tillykd! Sounds like you are off to a good start. :clover:

Headaches and dizziness on a fast day can be caused by a number of factors. Make sure you are well hydrated and choose your exercise wisely - and probably better to exercise early rather than later. Trial and error is the only way you will know what works best for you.

Please do read through the "LEARN" pages and all forum topics of interest, and be active joining the discussions. "Fasting today" threads are good to take part in to help you stay motivated and support others who are fasting.

Good luck and best wishes on your journey. :clover: :smile:
Oh wow, I must have wandered away from the computer and come back without refreshing before I posted, because I never saw Tilly's second post.

I agree with Sassy about dehydration being the probably cause for the headache.

I'm honestly not sure about the dizziness. That doesn't sound to me like it should be because of the fasting, but I'm not a doctor and don't have any knowledge one way or the other. Just my guess. I've gotten headaches on a fast day, and water or coffee always helps those. But I've never had dizziness.
Re dizziness, I must admit I haven't heard anyone mention this re fasting, but I do know that if my blood sugar is low and I get up suddenly, I can feel very dizzy. This more often happens if I have been fasting. But it soon passes. But if dizziness continues longer for you @Tillykd, or quite frequently, maybe check it out with a doctor. I am certainly no medical expert either!
7 posts Page 1 of 1