The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

3 posts Page 1 of 1
New to 5:2
09 Feb 2018, 07:47
Hi, I am new to the whole concept of 5:2 and was wondering if any of you lovely people could give me some tips. Unfortunately I am not a breakfast person and struggle to eat anything before 10:30. Is it easier to do this over 2 non consecutive days or get it over in 2 consecutive days? I have about a stone and a half to lose and really want to improve my health and well being as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :grin:
Re: New to 5:2
14 Feb 2018, 04:40
Welcome MCDGGI !

The best place to start is at the Learn topic at the top of the home page. Lots to read and learn there. Have questions? Ask them and we'll try to answer..

NOT eating breakfast is a very good thing. Congrats! By not doing so, you easily extend the overnight fast to at least lunch time (about 18 hours!). From there, by skipping lunch and having a 500 calorie dinner you've completed a typical 5:2 fast day.

Most people here fast 2-3 days per week, usually every other day. Two back-to-back days also works (and will quickly delete glucose reserves) but this definitely requires a bit more conviction especially early in the process. As your body becomes fat-adapted things get much easier.

Best results are obtained by avoiding all snacks between meals. Also remember to drink water, tea, coffee, and to sip an occasional 1-2 cups of broth - stock cubes in the UK, bouillon cubes in the US - to replace salt that is quickly lost as the body learns to once again use fat as an energy source.
Re: New to 5:2
15 Feb 2018, 08:05
Thank you, some very useful advice. I am going to try two days a week intially to see how I fair. This is the second week and my tummy has been growling. It's so not use to being empty. I am riding this out and have been drinking hot lemon to help subside the hunger pangs.

When I feel I am able, I will try and add an extra day. I must say I do feel so much better after a fast day. Looking forward to feeling better within myself as my diet certainly wasn't the best.

Soups and light stir fry's for tea seem to be my saviour and give me something to look forward to in the evening..

Thanks again. :grin:
3 posts Page 1 of 1