The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone! Sorry it's a big intro :confused:

It's so great to read all the stories and see I am not alone in the challenges we have. Of course I knew that to some degree but reading through just plays a great trick on the mind.
So why my title - No Excuses ?
I have used so many excuses over my 44 years to justify my state of health. Note I say state of health as I believe the two go hand in hand for me. I know when I am overweight that I do not feel healthy and my body tells me so.....heartburn, 'tiredness', leathargy (however you spell it!), swollen ankles, irregular appetite and complete disassociation with food, poor skin and the list goes on. These are just some of the physical cues..let's not go onto the emotional and mental ones!
So yes like many of us I have dieted but to be honest I have never ever quite reached my goals as I have given up along the way for whichever great excuse worked at the time. Change of job, moving country, personal loss,studying,breakup from boyfriend. You name it I have used it and the sympathy from family and friends has helped to keep me in the cycle. Don't get me wrong this is not a negative statement as they love me and it's hard to support a yoyo.
2 years ago I was feeling very driven and prepared to make a permanent change in my cycle. I used My Fitness Pal and trained for a half marathon (on a treadmill). I was on an isolated station in the Antarctic so running outside was kinda tricky. Slowly I lost weight and achieved my half marathon. I went from 96kg to 82.8kg and was feeling super. What happened? In a nut shell a number of things. Once the run was done I lost motivation for the gym and with lots of newcomers to station I lost my confidence. Since then there has been significant work stresses which have taken a huge emotional and mental toll on my well being and I compensated by eating. I am now at 107kg and at 5ft 7 it's simply too much.
So I have quit my job and at an age of 44 I am retraining to become a pilot. I don't want to be unhealthy anymore and want to give my all to this. I have struggled to find something that will suit and be a way forward for me because......I love food. I heard about the fast diet last year but after one week I brushed it off with excuses of 'too difficult '. My health is just appalling at the moment and my body is screaming out for me to pay attention and I have.....
So folks please welcome me to my first week - well it's only day 5 at the moment. Already I feel better as the constant heartburn has gone. Like many of you have mentioned I have that crazy mother whom I am visiting at the moment. I will be here for another two weeks so will have that challenge to endure. My resolve is that with the constant battle here with her I will come out strong and can make the WOE work anywhere.
I am looking forward to losing the weight and feeling fitter. I like the ideas of measuring your achievements and I plan to go both the bracelet route and the marbles in the bowl. A visual reminder to me will make me feel proud.
Sorry all for the long diatribe but as with all of us our stories have a myriad of colours.
Well done to all those success stories out there and thanks for your inspiration. To all the newbies - we are not alone and keep going as you are worth it.
Ags
@Ags, welcome to the forum.

What a great first post. I think most of us could have written similar things which means it is comforting knowing you are with like minded people. You appear to live an interesting life, Antartica, pilot...do tell more.

If I would give anyone any advice I would tell them to stick with the forum through all the ups and downs, you only need to look at my tracker (click the cog beside my avatar) to see what I mean. I know if I hadn't stuck with the forum then I'd weigh more that I did when I started fasting and I'd be more unhealthy.
I agree, what a fantastic post. It's difficult to really tell yourself that enough is enough and make the change, but we all feel so much better once we do. I know I did.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you!
Great
OstAgs and welcome to the forum and to fasting
My tip:- keep ultrabusy on fastdays..when youre occupied,its easier to forget about food x
Welcome to the forum. What a fascinating story - thank you for sharing. Fasting is all in the mind and when it feels tough, just ride it out. Remember not to over eat on non fast days. :heart: :clover: :heart: :clover:
Welcome to the forum. Great introduction and I look forward to hearing how you are getting on. The "fasting today" thread is very encouraging, knowing you are not alone is so helpful when it comes down to sticking with it. Good luck :clover: :heart: :clover:
@Ags welcome and wow what an interesting life !!

I'm also 44 and and fly , so I will be really eager to hear how your training is coming on as well as your diet :-)

This really is the best way of eating ever , but choose your fast days carefully as I don't think fasting and flying go together from a human performance perspective so maybe keep them for ground school days :-)

Wishing you lots of luck with the diet and the training do let us know how you are getting on :clover:
Great way with words there, lovely story. I hope you get to where you want to be, well done with the loss before, and amazingly to get to half marathon.
Oh @ags - you are going to do well on here!

A terrific introduction post, like everyone else has already said. So a very big welcome from me and if I could suggest anything, I would tell you to put the kettle on & settle down to reading as much as you can on here, whenever you can! There are so many different threads - something for everyone, really. Reading as much as you can will bring you up to speed quickly....

What days are you fasting? I do Mon/Wed/Fri at the moment and find the "Fasting Today" daily thread really supportive. I am a returning faster - came back to the forum in March, so I know all about excuses and self-sabotage.....but hopefully I will be able to keep my current fasting mojo going & won't slip up again......

Very best of luck to you!
What days are you fasting? I do Mon/Wed/Fri at the moment and find the "Fasting Today" daily thread really supportive. I am a returning faster - came back to the forum in March, so I know all about excuses and self-sabotage.....but hopefully I will be able to keep my current fasting mojo going & won't slip up again.

Very best of luck to you![/quote]

I'm fasting Mon/Wed/Fri but when I start my studies I may have to drop to just two days as not sure how it will work for me. Thanks for the advice and yes I'll have to visit the Fasting Today thread for sure. They are quite hard days for sure and any help is good.
Don't beat yourself up and your mojo is there - let it shine through! You'll be great and as a returning faster you have lots of experience.....take the positives!
carieoates wrote: Great way with words there, lovely story. I hope you get to where you want to be, well done with the loss before, and amazingly to get to half marathon.

Thanks for for your words. So encouraging at this early point.
Big smiles
Ags
Ags wrote: I'm fasting Mon/Wed/Fri but when I start my studies I may have to drop to just two days as not sure how it will work for me. Thanks for the advice and yes I'll have to visit the Fasting Today thread for sure. They are quite hard days for sure and any help is good.

I'm studying, and fasting Mon-Wed-Fri, too! I find that although I'm hungry, my concentration levels are better, certainly in the afternoon. I keep getting up to make drinks, which is better for my back. A litre of diet tonic on the desk goes down well, too.

Best of luck with 'fasting while studying'.
Welcome Ags. I think you will be brilliant at this. I would agree with checking in on the forums. There are so many kind, supportive people here, and between everyone, there will be those who have dealt with problems and complications similar to yours. Also, there are great cooks, scientifically-minded fasters, and creative problemsolvers--a great combination. Best of luck. :clover:
13 posts Page 1 of 1