The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

28 posts Page 1 of 2
Overeating after a fast day
22 Apr 2014, 12:57
Does anyone else find that they eat too much the day after a fast day?
Re: Overeating after a fast day
22 Apr 2014, 13:35
Hi SMHL and welcome to the forum!

Since you are a new poster, I am moving this thread over to the "Introduce Yourself" area. Hopefully you can tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here.

To answer your question - not excessively, no. The studies Krista Varaday were doing seemed to indicate people ate about 110% of their TDEE on their feed days when doing alternate day fasting.
22 Apr 2014, 13:38
Hi SMHL. One expects that that would be the case but strangely it never happened to me at all. And after some months on this way of life, I find myself actually less hungry after a fast day.

Which is probably good news to you.

Welcome to the forum!
22 Apr 2014, 13:48
It really depends on how you define overeat. Some days after a fast, I don't eat until afternoon, others I start with a hearty breakfast, but then am not particularly hungry for the rest of the day. What's really important is to eat to your TDEE on non-fast days. So many discovering this way of eating have been eating under our TDEE for many years because "they" told us we had to live on carrots & celery-then in my case, prompting out of control eating of everything in sight because I was "starving!", it seems like a lot to actually eat what our body needs. But stick with it, the results will happen...very slowly for some of us, very quickly (relatively) for others. Learning to listen closely to what my body is telling me is one of the most humbling parts of this WoE. Best of luck
22 Apr 2014, 13:56
While I was on the "want to lose weight" part of my journey, I don't think I could have over eaten often on my non-fast days (or I wouldn't have lost the weight that I did in the time that I did). Tho I can't really remember...

However, since being on "maintenance" I seem to often overeat on non-fast days, thus still need 2 fasts a week... Not ideal, as the over eating is generally not with the most nutritious of foods.

My solstice challenge will be to try to curb this bad habit.

Doubt this is much help or consolation to you tho. :(
22 Apr 2014, 14:01
Welcome SMHL

I find the opposite but learnt the hard way. I found that eating something too heavy or in large amounts made me feel sick the day after a fast. My advice is to break your fast gently. Then you can work up to a larger main meal if you want to eat up to your TDEE. It might surprise you that you don't necessarily wake up ravenous the morning after a fast.

Good luck
22 Apr 2014, 15:16
Welcome @SMHL to this great forum loads of tips, recipes, help and advice from all the lovely members whenever you want or need it, my answer to the question was no
But yesterday I read a post from almost a year ago that I'd written that I was overeating on days after fasting,
however I know believe that because I was doing 4:3 and being really good for those 3 days plus a semi fast, I only "thought" I was overeating at my 4 months in stage I started to reduce my carb intake and I'm now finding that this actually also reduces my cravings which for me is very helpful indeed because a small mater of another
50lbs to get rid of :shock: :shock:
Good luck and let us know how you are going on. :clover: :clover:
22 Apr 2014, 15:21
Hi @SMHL, and welcome. (Can I ask what your handle means? Just curious)

I would definitely overeat on feast days quite happily. I really have to curb myself. I find that the feed days are harder and I'm playing with the idea of eating windows on feed days.

Its afternoon now and I'm between fast days. I have already almost eaten my tdee today. :confused: So I have to change my planned lasagne dinner to a salad. Thats what happens when I splurge on potato chips (crisps) and a big french baguette for lunch! I carefully watch my cals by logging all food on my fitness pal app 7 days a week. This is not for everyone, but works for me.

That said, my feelings of what is overeating has changed. I went for a 5inch baguette instead of a 12inch version. The bag of crisps was smaller than the one the old me would choose. These choices were made because that was my preference, as opposed to me depriving myself or wanting to minimise the damage. I recently left french fries on my plate because I was full. This is also something the old me would never have done.
22 Apr 2014, 15:43
This is my first fast day, and it's 17.40 in the afternoon. I am not feeling starving hungry or looking for food, (instead I'm watching past episodes of Biggest Loser on youtube to keep me occupied!). I am going to continue with my previous diet of very low carb and zero sugar on my non fast days, so I will probably binge on strawberries! My only issues right now are a slightly thumpy headache, which I read are normal and a strange feeliing of euphoria which is quite nice. X
22 Apr 2014, 15:49
I think if you eat lower carb it pretty much knocks appetite on the head (or so I have found). Re the headache - are you drinking enough fluids?
22 Apr 2014, 16:31
Ys drinking a fair amount, I have just consumed two large cups off peppermint tea and earlier in the day 1 litre of water, 1 black cofee and 1 black tea. My job is stuck in front of a computer screen and if I feel a bit under the weather then I do get headaches. So I think its the combination of work, tiredness and lack of food! But not enough to bother me.
22 Apr 2014, 18:31
Hello Everyone

Thank you for all your replies. I am still working my way around the site, so forgive me got not addressing you all individually. I haven't worked out how to reply to each one of you personally yet, partly because I think I am replying from my phone.

I am new to the site, but have been ploughing away on my own with five and two for a while. However, it's a lonely job on your own and so I looked around today for a support group and found you guys! Hubby has also been doing this a while, with more success than me so far. I have also just had a few weeks off because I had to have gall bladder surgery a couple of weeks ago. It all came as a complete shock, so that sent me off track a bit. Although I have to say I had MANY fast days in hospital while doctors decided if I was on the list or not got surgery on many consecutive days! As such I lost loads of weight in hospital but since coming out have put it back on. Very annoying!

So, here I am, post op, post Easter, starting again. Today is the first fast day of a new season so to speak.

I think though that this time I am not going to allow myself any eating between meals on any day. That way I can stop myself craving the wrong things on non fast days.

So hello everyone. And thank you for the lovely welcome.
22 Apr 2014, 18:44
I do have a tendency to "think" about food alot after a fast day ... but to be honest, if I compared what I would have eaten on an average day "before" any of my fasting began, & what I eat now on a non fast day, I probably actually eat less. I suppose I only "think" about food more because the previous day, food was limited (if that makes sense)
22 Apr 2014, 20:12
Yes that makes perfect sense. And I think I've just worked out how to do a personal reply! :)
22 Apr 2014, 22:24
SMHL wrote: Hello Everyone

Thank you for all your replies. I am still working my way around the site, so forgive me got not addressing you all individually. I haven't worked out how to reply to each one of you personally yet, partly because I think I am replying from my phone.

I am new to the site, but have been ploughing away on my own with five and two for a while. However, it's a lonely job on your own and so I looked around today for a support group and found you guys! Hubby has also been doing this a while, with more success than me so far. I have also just had a few weeks off because I had to have gall bladder surgery a couple of weeks ago. It all came as a complete shock, so that sent me off track a bit. Although I have to say I had MANY fast days in hospital while doctors decided if I was on the list or not got surgery on many consecutive days! As such I lost loads of weight in hospital but since coming out have put it back on. Very annoying!

So, here I am, post op, post Easter, starting again. Today is the first fast day of a new season so to speak.

I think though that this time I am not going to allow myself any eating between meals on any day. That way I can stop myself craving the wrong things on non fast days.

So hello everyone. And thank you for the lovely welcome.

Your plans sound really good and your determination very inspiring. to reply to anyone individually hit the QUOTE button on right of their post and you will find what they say appears between [ quote ] ... [ /quote ] tags. you can even remove bits in that section if you want to refer to a particulr part of the quote

all the best
28 posts Page 1 of 2