The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Recently started 19-5 Fasting
11 Aug 2018, 21:07
HI, thank you for adding me. I have found the website, success stories, and forum very inspiring and helpful.

I did 5:2 for a few months a few years ago with success, and have not usually eaten breakfast since. I have often been low-carb. I did a home-made version of the 5 day Prolon fasting-mimicking diet in February 2018, which gave me much better appetite control, and reading the forum posts here, realised I could manage 5:2 with just one evening meal, and from that, have been trialling 19-5 giving me the opportunity to enjoy my food once a day and eat with the family at supper. I use myfitness pal to track my weight daily, and my food sometimes.

I do hope that the small amount of milk I have in one morning coffee and one lunch time cup of tea do not affect the fasting process too much. Currently 69 kg, 1.6 m, BMI 26.9. I'm aiming to lose 6 kg to reach normal BMI.
Welcome ashling66!

The small amount of milk or cream added to coffee (tea) can be ignored.

From your description, it seems you have the process well in hand. Time windows do work. A recent study indicated that for a given, fixed-calorie intake that just finishing dinner before 3pm can result in weight loss due to better alignment with circadian rhythms. That doesn't make it practical given family expectations of course, but interesting that the effect of such a simple change is measurable.
Ashling66 good morning and nice to see someone else being successful with this way of life. I have found that an 'eating window' is something we all do even if we don't realise it. Let's face it no one eats nonstop 24 hours a day every day so of course times between meals or snacks is your 'window' the trick is to keep expanding your 'window' rather than your waist and this is the perfect solution. I have achieved and maintained my target weight for 5 years now and this year I felt I would like to lose a bit more so I just cut back on extras ( boxes of chocolates, bag fulls of doughnuts, buckets of crisps, you know the sort of little extras I mean :grin: ) and within a few months another stone was gone. I have never felt deprived of food because I've never gone without food, just eaten sensibly and healthily for about 80% of the time and never, well almost never :confused: busted my window.

Good luck and ADFnFuel is a wonderful source of factual and interesting information on this way of life by the way.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Looks like I've forgotten how to 'tag' grrrrrr
Hallo, another fan of IF windows here, and old friend of this forum.
I’ve not maintained like Ballerina and have tried variations and other possibilities but heading back to 16-8 always feels like coming home.
Currently I break my fast with kefir, coffee and cream. What are your preferences?
@ashling66 How are you getting on with your 'window'?
Hi, just returning to window Fast 5 after a week of holiday, when did have tiny lunches. Before that, was not eating until about 5 pm, having a snack, and then supper about 7 pm. Really liking the feeling of control during the day, but still able to enjoy food in the evening.
Hi Ashling,my daughter does 19-5 or sometimes even 21-3... Has done it for ages now and only lost weight very slowly ( but surely) BUT its had other majorly great effects...
her skin,hair and nails are so glossy and healthy,
she has lost a lot of bumps,cellulite etc..looks very smooth
At age 38, she's constantly mistaken for being in her early twenties
So there's a lot to be said for it! Xxxx
May i take the opportunity while on yr thread to say hiiiiii to @Ballerina @azureblueand @ADFnFuel
@Ballerina so good to see you..for tagging,just go to the selection of little boxes above - second from right box- click and insert name where cursor is blinking,always ensuring you spell the name correctly or it doesnt work! X
Hi @candicemarie (hope I got that right ) nice to see you again, long time, no see. What a lovely post about your daughter and I believe you are doing very well also.
8 posts Page 1 of 1