The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Fast Forward
23 Jan 2013, 11:31
Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. I am in the first week of the 5:2 diet, having completed my first fast. Fast days are planned as 5:2, Mondays and Thursdays, eating 500 calories (or fewer, if the fancy takes me) in one early-evening meal. I was going to do 4:3 in the first week, but I don't think I'll bother, because on balance I would rather establish a firm pattern from the outset.

This isn't my first attempt at the fasting diet. After watching the Horizon programme in August, my husband and I thought we would try it for one day a week to see how we got on. (Both of us were attracted by the health benefits, and I want to lose weight as well, although my slim husband doesn't need to.) But he found it "depressing" not to have a proper lunch while at work, so he stopped - and I stopped with him, because he kept trying to fast when I did, even though he was clearly unhappy about it, and I hadn't the heart to persevere when he was so miserable. So this time, I fast alone.

Nor is this the first time I have attempted to lose a lot of weight. After the usual intermittent dieting history of an overweight adult female, this time two years ago, I was in the throes of a high protein diet, on which I lost five stone over the course of seven months. A year and a half ago, I was slim (or slimmish) for the summer holidays! But alas, I like food and wine, and I couldn't make myself stick to the maintenance programme. Over the course of a difficult year with a number of family disasters of varying intensity, I threw caution to the wind and regained most of the weight I had lost. So here I am again, not quite back at square one, but not far off it.

I am interested not just in the weight loss aspects of the 5:2 diet but also in the health benefits, in particular the supposed anti-inflammatory effect. I have a form of inflammatory arthritis, which improved considerably on the mega-diet I followed a couple of years ago. And fasting is often sugggested in standard mainstream publications as a means of temporarily controlling inflammation in arthritis, at least for some people. It's worth a try, at any rate.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Re: Fast Forward
23 Jan 2013, 12:25
Hi Ember and welcome to the forums!

I think many of us have been in the same boat - following a diet and shifting a good amount of weight only to regain it due to the inability to commit to any of those lifestyles in the long term. I think this (since Horizon) is the longest I've stuck with a 'diet' and not been sick of it, and can see myself staying on it for a very long time indeed.

A shame you had to stop early on - but kind of you to consider your husband like that, and of him to try to fast along with you. Mine wants nothing to do with it. He eats what he likes, never gains weight and smokes like a chimney. I suspect he may not be that healthy, although fit.

Well, I hope you find this lifestyle helps with your arthritis and that it fits in well with your life in the long term :)
2 posts Page 1 of 1