The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Pescetarian and traveler
24 Mar 2013, 22:11
Hi,
I started on the 5:2 diet on March 11, 2013 (4 fast days so far), after being told about it by a colleague. I have been a pescetarian since April of last year (I don't eat land animals, but do eat eggs, dairy, and seafood). I also travel for work, although haven't been doing so for much the last few months, which makes it easier to start out a new way of eating. I don't expect this to continue though.

I eat a pretty healthy diet. I eat very little in the way of processed foods, don't eat much sugar, never drink sodas, and avoid HFCS like the plague. I'm 5' 4", and am 50 years old. I have been gaining the stereotypical 10 lbs per year up until around 2009. Then I became a traveling consultant and my weight ballooned by 10 lbs very quickly with all of the restaurant eating. I had been maintaining at 145 lbs for quite a while, and was suddenly at 155 lbs, and I hated it. I lost it all during a very stressful period leading up to my divorce in 2011, but have gained it all plus a couple since then.

My normal caloric intake is not enormous. I have very little to work with in terms of daily calorie reduction. So when I read about this diet, it appealed to me because I knew I could easily eat little for two days a week as long as I didn't have to feel as if I had to stop ingesting anything good for the rest of my life. Also, I have fasted before, and have found it much less difficult than I expected. Planned hunger has a very psychological component. If you know you will have plenty the next day, it isn't really a big deal (at least for me) to do without for a day.

I've been on it for two weeks now. My weight fluctuates by 1 - 4 lbs daily, so it's difficult for me to know in such a short period how I'm doing. However, I hit a low of 152.7 a week ago, and I know I haven't seen that low in over six months. So, I feel that I have probably lost at least two lbs of actual weight at this point. So far so good. I don't see any downsides, really, and only pluses, because the health benefits, outside of the weight loss, seem to be pretty conclusive. I do hope to at least get back down to 145 lbs. If I do, I will probably set a new goal of 140 lbs. But I will at least not have such a poor body image at 145 lbs.

Sabrina
Re: Pescetarian and traveler
25 Mar 2013, 00:14
Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear it's already working for you :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1