The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Yet Another Newbie
27 Jan 2015, 18:55
Hello All,

Another Newbie here. Decided that I will give intermittent fasting a go - never tried it before. Think I'm going to go down the route of the 800 calorie fasting day rather than 500 as per the Horizons programme. After doing lots of reading (I'm hypothyroid) apparently its not good to fast on 500 calories due to the lack of good fats. So with the help of the new book, 800 Calorie fasting - I'm going to give it a try.

Any hints and tips though would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
x
Re: Yet Another Newbie
27 Jan 2015, 19:22
Hi and Welcome G2G!

I think you'll find a number of us on this forum with thyroid issues. I was Hyperthyroid for the last two years and have just received radioactive iodine to treat this condition. After this, I will likely go to hyPOthyroid.

While the literature I have reviewed does indeed indicate that fasting in excess of 24 hours can be harmful if you are hypothyroid, I'm not sure that I've read anything like what you're saying. From what our resident geeks have said reading medical studies, they recommend 12-16 hour fasts for hypothyroid people if they are having trouble with 5:2.

There are some threads on hypothyroid, I will try to dig them out for you.

of course we welcome a wide range of fasting methods here! My husband and I have sometimes done three days at higher calorie levels instead of two days at 500 calories per day, as sometimes it's just easier to be flexible. The key is to find what works for you.

Welcome to the forum!
27 Jan 2015, 19:23
I think you'll also find most people here recommend that on fast days, one should eat a combination of good, healthy fats, lean protein and veggies to get the most out of their fast days - whether people are hypothyroid or not.
27 Jan 2015, 19:28
27 Jan 2015, 20:18
Thanks for that - I'll have a read of that. I've also found what looks like, a good book on 800 Calorie fasting which seems to offer some good recipes and explanations - so I'll see where that takes me!
27 Jan 2015, 20:24
Hi G2G, :grin: @your introduction. Don't know much about hypothyroidism, but like your 800 cal plan. I'm all for keeping it sustainable rather than being too strict and packing it in when it's gets hard.
27 Jan 2015, 20:45
Welcome,

If you are heavy, eating 800 calories a day may provide the same weight loss that many of us get eating at 400, because it is all about the gap between your daily maintenance calories and how much you eat on the fast day, not the absolute number.

So 800 may be a perfect level for you. The important thing is that you are getting started. You can always tweak the details later.
28 Jan 2015, 01:00
Welcome @G2G - hope you find a way of doing this that works for you

:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
28 Jan 2015, 01:30
Welcome and good luck, G2G!
28 Jan 2015, 08:29
Welcome to the forum G2G and good luck in finding a way that works for you. :clover:
28 Jan 2015, 08:35
Hello G2G,
I'm in the same boat and currently trying to work out the best plan for me too. Good luck :)
11 posts Page 1 of 1