The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

9 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 Diet and Type 2 Diabetes.
30 Nov 2014, 22:32
Hi,
I would like to try the 5:2 approach with my type 2 diabetes. I am a vegetarian and control the diabetes with Metformin 1000mg slow release 2xday, Gliclizide 40mg once a day and Sitaglitin 100mgs once a day. My blood sugars have been rising slowly and I have not really changed diet. Please can other members advise me further with this and also how one can do this with the medication.
Looking forward to the response.
Many thanks.
Hi:

See this thread: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered-t13421.html. In it is a post that specifically addresses how intermittent fasting with diet modification is being used successfully to reverse type 2.

Good Luck!
I don't suffer from diabetes but there are several people here who do and who have had success with 5:2. If you search for Type 2 diabetes in the yellow bar at the top by clicking the magnifying glass you will probably find several threads. Alternatively look in 'Fasting with medical conditions'
Hello and welcome, 'V'. The thread that simcoeluv posted is invaluable and it's well worth looking at peebles' various posts on the topics of diabetes, diabetes drugs, and blood sugar management: e.g., post209682.html#p209682
post207433.html?hilit=7.7%20mmol/L%20140%20mg/dl%20in%20the%20U.S.%20#p207433

Good luck :clover: and I hope that you can get some support from a Diabetes Nurse or whoever is helping you to manage your health.
Please check out the advice given in this article
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/fasting-with-diabetes/
Have you discussed it with your doctor?
Gliclazide can cause hypos on fast days. Even if it doesn't, it may make you very hungry if you fast and likely cause overeating on non fast days. Its not a good idea to fast while taking it.

I would suggest you first try cutting back on your carbs, a little at a time, until you see better numbers. Many people find that cutting way down on carbs at meals can make it possible to get very good post-meal numbers without needing the gliclazide. At that point, you can try fasting, which will be a lot easier if you are eating a lower carb diet. But it is not a good idea to fast while taking a drug that forces insulin secretion even when you don't eat, which is what gliclazide does,

Cutting carbs is usually much more effective in lowering blood sugar than any other approach including fasting. Combining the two techniques is even better, but first you need to ditch that insulin-stimulating drug.
Hi @V
I am a T2 diabetic & have been 5:2 fasting for a year with my doctors support & supervision. She worked with me to adjust insulin doses & other meds. After a year, I am moving into a different eating pattern (19/5 eating window with reduced carbs as suggested by @peebles above) & that is helping even out my sugars. On my fast days, they were dropping way too low, so this gives me a more predictable medicine schedule. So, it can be done, but make sure your team is aware of what you're doing & treat the diabetes first. If you're fasting & you drop, make sure you take care of yourself. It will still be a very low calorie day, but better a few extra calories than a trip to the hospital! Best of luck.
Many thanks for all the replies. Please can you all give me some meal ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner bearing in mind that I am a vegetarian for the fast days.
Regards,
'V'
'V' wrote: Many thanks for all the replies. Please can you all give me some meal ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner bearing in mind that I am a vegetarian for the fast days.

There's a good range of ideas here: https://www.fastday.com/food/plan-your-eating/

There seem to be a number of popular recipes in FatDog's low carb vegetarian thread that you might find particularly helpful if you wish to adopt some of the advice you've been given above:

progress-f4/topic6427.html
9 posts Page 1 of 1