The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

21 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Doctors and diabetes
06 Dec 2013, 01:25
Hi @MaryAnn, @Miffy49 and @carorees,

thanks everyone for your support & good advice!!

MaryAnn - I've entered my data into the progress tracker, but maybe there's something there to get it added to my posts - I'll check it out again in a mo..

Miffy49 - so glad you're going well on low carbs. I've had type 2 diabetes for 13 years and counting, and have always been a fan of low GI - I know the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I do a lot of endurance exercise (like riding my bike for 2-3 hours), and don't think I'd like to go much below 150 g of CHO per day for the sake of that. btw, I've been on metformin for all of that time, and I have to say, it's my favourite drug in the world - as shown in the famous "UKPDS" -prospective diabetes study. I have no side effects and it just helps me slow down my glucose absorption - also heard just recently it's supposed to prevent liver insulin resistance.
But fair enough if you don't want to take any drugs, I totally understand that too.

Carorees - you are a gem! I hope you also get some time to do some work that you get paid for! I think you're spot on. "metabolic inflexibility" - what a great term. Yes I think, whatever the cause of the "dawn effect", I imagine it's mediated through too much glucagon action on the liver. If I'm not fasting, my FBG is around 5-6. I've been wondering whether my menopausal sleeping poorly has also been contributing to my higher sugars on fasting days, some days I can just TELL it's going to be high, but I don't know whether that's a cause or an effect of increased insulin resistance. Yes my FBG does also tend to be higher (sometimes 7) on the day after a fast day, and I never feel like eating my usual fruit & muesli for brekkie - lately I've been having heaps of mushrooms and spinach and garlic and low fat fetta on one slice of low GI toast - yum for me, maybe not so good for those around me! I love the suggestion of just a small amount of low GI carb to try to flick the switch back towards not pouring glucose out of my liver. I've also been looking at byetta (exenatide) - in Australia we can't get it on the pbs (cheaply) unless our HbA1c is over 7.0, so that doesn't apply to me at 5.4, so I'd have to pay $200 per month for it - but it's supposed to be good at limiting glucagon effects. Anyway, I will certainly try your suggestions - although we don't have oatcakes in Aus! - and let you know how I go. As I say, it didn't happen this last fast day, so maybe my metabolism is settling down. Thank you for your patience & advice through this somewhat complex issue!
06 Dec 2013, 01:31
oh, p.s. same thing happens when I have a long ride - takes a few hours for BGLs to settle down again! Maybe same process?
15 Dec 2013, 07:27
hi again @carorees, I've been reading Peter Attia's website, my goodness, he is quite an intense individual, isn't he? He's got terrific results, but I really don't think I could eat that much fat, or that little carb - I guess the eating plan that's going to work is the one you can stick to! I notice in recent times he has also increased his low GI carb intake a little. Meanwhile my fasting sugars are a bit better, around 6. I've also read the abstracts of the papers you sent me, I think I will probably need to read some of the full articles, in order to get my head around the significance of some of the parameters they are measuring - I completed my medical degree in 1979, and, as I'm fond of telling my kids, the world has chanced completely about 4 times over since then.
15 Dec 2013, 07:28
*changed, not chanced!
15 Dec 2013, 07:39
A morning BG of 6 is probably acceptable in your situation? I think that as fasting and low carb both lower insulin, they are complementary so if you fast regularly, you're carb intake can be a little higher. I just saw a paper showing that in T2D 2 meals a day gave better glucose control than several meals. The participants ate breakfast and lunch. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-2 ... -loss.html This also ties in with late night snacking being associated with a poorer metabolic profile.
21 Dec 2013, 02:00
hi again, @carorees - yes I'm happy with BGL of 6 while fasting. I'm currently looking a bit at my CHO intake, and seeing if anything might change without too much pain. Life gets in the way a bit sometimes, as it has this week! If I don't get to hear from you before then, hope you have a great christmas, caro and everyone!, and looking forward to more 5/2ing in the new year. Thanks so much for your support! cheers, Julia
21 posts Page 2 of 2