The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I posted on the introduce yourself forum yesterday and it was suggested that I also added a post on here.

I came across the 5:2 plan and this wonderful site whilst researching anti inflammatory diets. I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease as a teenager,which on the whole has been controlled well over the years by steroid replacement therapy. Then 10 years ago I was also diagnosed with Lupus which due the systemic nature of the illness has not been so easy.

I'm only on my second week of fasting but have been truly amazed by the results so far, both my vasculitis and lupus rash appear to have faded slightly. And best of all after my second fast I no longer need to take water tablets, I can't tell you how great it is not to have swollen ankles and the lovely steroid hump on my neck.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but there is a growing body of thought that steroids effect the way our bodies metabolise carbohydrates. I had always been a complete carb addict, but since this wonderful new WoL I have drastically reduced my consumption and strangely also my cravings. I think that this is the reason I am no longer retaining water.

It would be lovely to hear the thoughts and experiences of others who are in a similar position.

Didee
Hi there

I know that Dr M says that fasting is anti-inflammatory. If so, it would not be surprising to find that it benefits auto-immune diseases too. I'd be very interested to hear how you go on with it.

I think that @nikipins is interested in the effect of fasting on lupus, so perhaps she will post here too (I think she is on holiday at the moment though).
I too have lupus and other AI diseases and am on long term steroids. I have also had breast cancer so impressed by potential anti cancer and anti inflammatory effects of 5:2 decided to give it a go. Found it easy, felt good and lost 3kg in first month. Sadly currently had to up steroids a lot because of flare precipitated by shingles so prob won't lose much this month. Just aiming to stay static.
Hi Didee so pleased about yr good results Long may it continue !
I began this fasting diet mainly for the repair angle to it - tho i have plenty of weight i would love to shed i hasten to add!
I have suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome and all its many horrid symptoms for a long time and am hoping to get relief from some symptoms thru fasting
One thing i noticed almost immediately is my balance and co ordination are better..which is really helpful..i have lost so much confidence thru fearing i will fall when outdoors and very often i do fall....feel a bit more " centred" now
Weight loss hasnt been remarkable so far but out of the 5 weeks fasting and repairing,have had 2 weeks where i have eaten far too much on feed days
My daughter also has chronic fatigue syndrome,plus possibly lupus,they arent sure..she has the rash and vasculitis like you mention..it comes and goes
i will let her know of yr results,maybe she should be 5:2 ing also!
Thks for sharing ..hope you continue getting relief from yr symptoms x
Hi Didee. Just wanting to cheer you on. I have no experience of your condition but would really be interested in reading about your progress as you adjust to this WOE. :clover: :clover:
Thank you all so much for your messages, I'm still loving this WoL and continue to see improvements in my symptoms.

The discipline of fasting has taught me to listen to how I'm feeling, I've learnt that if I'm craving simple carbs it's just my bodies way of telling me I need to ease up and get more rest.

We're going away to Italy today so my plan is to slightly amend my fast days by fasting during the day but not calorie counting my evening meal. It will be interesting to see how this works as I'd like to use this method for maintaining.

Helena I'm really sorry that you're flaring at the moment and wish you a speedy recovery. My advice would be to trust this WoE and not worry about what the scales say while your on the increased steroids, I'm sure you'll get fantastic loses one you're well again.

CandiceMarie its great that you're also seeing such great benefits with this WoL, I have a friend with the same condition so know how debilitating it can be. I would certainly recommend the diet to your daughter if she's old enough and would also push the doctors for a definite diagnosis with regards to the lupus.

Rawkaren thank you so much for your lovely message, I can honestly say that the help and support from this forum is truly amazing.

Didee
6 posts Page 1 of 1