The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Fasting With TMJ Pain?
18 Nov 2013, 18:24
Dear All,

Since last Thursday I've been in terrible pain. Jaw, teeth, gums very painful, ear ache, swollen face, dizziness, and upset stomach.
I've had two emergency dental visits, but there doesn't appear to be any problem with teeth, wisdom teeth or abscesses, so I went to A&E....but left after a 4 hour wait.

There's a possibility it's TMJ. Does anyone else here suffer from it? Does it effect fast days? Any home remedies? Oh, and being asthmatic, I can only take paracetamol, no other pain killers, so as you can imagine, I'm exhausted, tearful, and in pain.

Any help is greatly appreciated :?:
Re: Fasting With TMJ Pain?
18 Nov 2013, 19:25
Sorry don't know what tmj is but I'd go straight to the doctors.
18 Nov 2013, 19:30
I too second that you should go to your doctor. But if it is TMJ the NHS website has some remedies that might help.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporoman ... ction.aspx
18 Nov 2013, 19:35
Just wondered who says there is a possibility it is TemporoMandibularJoints as there are distinct symptoms EG
Restricted jaw motion
Joint noise Clicks and other joint sounds are common
Ear symptoms - otalgia, tinnitus, dizziness.
Headache.
Neck pain.
'Locking' episodes - inability to open or close the mouth. Inability to open the mouth is more common.

I think you need to see a doctor - don't know how the health system works in the UK but sounds as if you are definitely a priority case, so I would head off to A&E
18 Nov 2013, 19:44
Hello all,

My GP doesn't consider this 'important enough', so I'll have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment - hence being referred to A&E.
I've been keeping my jaw warm and trying not to get upset.
No appetite but I've had some soup and kept to 480 cals today.

Thank you all for your replies x
18 Nov 2013, 20:00
Not important enough, how ridiculous. I would ring the doctor again and be very insistent especially since you have felt like this for 5 days now. I hope you get an answer soon. :heart:
18 Nov 2013, 20:54
Your GP needs a serious sorting out! Do you have a local NHS drop in centre you could use. They do tend to have a long wait but not as bad as A&E. Our record for A&E was 8 hours so I know what its like. Our surgery has a call back system. If they don't have appts free you can talk to the duty triage dr on the phone. He can arrange a prescription or get you seen at the surgery according to your problem. Dont be bullied by the reception staff just kick up a stink!

I had an attack of TMJ related to my fibromyalgia a few weeks ago and its no fun at all! I found a warm wheat bag helped but some people favour cold packs so you may have to experiment. I had to sleep sitting up as my jaw would lock if I slept on my side. On the lighter side, it cut my food intake at treat! What with the awful pain and the cringe-making clicking in my jaw I couldn't face food!

Mine was down to muscle spasms so it eased off as the fibro moved away to a different muscle group but the joint does still feel unstable. Do push your doctor. They have a duty to take you seriously.
18 Nov 2013, 23:14
I have this problem. I thought I was going deaf so my GP sent me to an ENT. My hearing was actually fine (for my age!). Then the ENT put his finger up near the ear on the joint there and told me to wriggle my jaw and ... AGONY!!! The apparent deafness was caused by the eustachian tubes collapsing under the stress of my jaw clenching. He sent me to my dentist to get a night guard. I'm kind of surprised that your dentist didn't do more. My dentist was impressed by the ENT as he said they usually miss that diagnosis!
I've certainly had most of your symptoms, so it's quite possible that's what you've got. My night guard has long since gone to god and now I've retired I don't clench as much (funny that!). However when stressed I do still suffer. I've had a few bouts recently. Mine is mostly on the right side and the pain extends from the ear to the midpoint of my face. I know it's not my teeth because they are fine. Sorry you can't take anything other than paracetamol. I find I need to hit it with a combination of drugs. I'd certainly try hot and cold packs. The other thing I've found helpful is to massage the area with anti inflammatory gel/cream.
You really do need a proper diagnosis though. Clenching can lead to teeth cracking, which has kept my dentist in Audis! Hope you gat it sorted out. I really feel for you.
19 Nov 2013, 10:06
Thank you Miffy & Chook!

Yes, the pain is awful - hence I thought I had a mouth full of dental abscesses! My dentist has checked, checked, and double-checked. He did that fingers in ears thing - ooooowwww!
I've not bothered with A&E, as the average waiting times are so bad, I'm better off with heat pads as you both suggested.
I'd never heard of TMJ before, or any idea of the pain. My sympathies to you both! How do you avoid flare-ups?
Xxx
19 Nov 2013, 10:51
If you are into alternative therapies you might look for Bowen or Amatsu. The latter isn't very common but really good for jaws.
19 Nov 2013, 13:00
Hi Convert52,

I'm having acupuncture for my back, so I wondered if that would help. I'll certainly look into your two suggestions - thank you for your help!
19 Nov 2013, 13:14
I would certainly mention it to the acupuncturist. Its a holistic therapy so they see you as a whole person not just a single problem. They could adjust the placement of the needles accordingly.
19 Nov 2013, 13:30
Great idea!
I'm not sure what caused it....maybe the two bad car crashes I had 4 years ago? That's why I'm still having treatment for my back. It's got me thinking that they could be linked...?

I had a very slow, short run this morning, and eaten soft things. Didn't want to mess my 5:2 routine up :-)
19 Nov 2013, 13:38
I've also suffered fromTMJ getting facial pain and awful headaches. I can take painkillers and i can usually get rid of it with them. However I did find a website with advice from a physio about a massage technique you can do yourself. I found it really helpful. I'll have a quick look and see if I can find the link for you.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXpuEsHHi ... rXpuEsHHiA. And his other video are both helpful. Good luck.
19 Nov 2013, 14:15
Thank you Esta!
I KNEW I'd find some help/advice here!
Does the 5:2 help with your condition? I'm sure my overall health is better.....it's just this problem at the moment.
Xxx
16 posts Page 1 of 2