The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

7 posts Page 1 of 1
great news from doctors
29 Oct 2013, 20:29
I have had a nightmare last two weeks. I had tests at the doctors and my blood pressure was very high 170/100. As you can imagine I was quite worried. Last week it was down to 150/90 and blood was taken for testing. Today bp was 132/85. All blood results were very good and in the healthy range. I now feel great and have had the all clear to run again.

Has anyone else found their blood pressure has risen whilst doing 5:2?

Lesley
Re: great news from doctors
29 Oct 2013, 21:29
Hi Lesley,

I am glad things are back to normal for you, how worrying the last two weeks must have been. I have not had a problem and I don't recall reading that anyone else has been affected this way but I may be wrong. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about these things than I do will be along soon, good luck with this one,

Ballerina x :heart:
29 Oct 2013, 22:40
I specifically went to go the other day as my BP was up 160/90 at home after a 5:2 liquid fast day. Just felt a bit weird and checked it. Minded my salt intake then for next 24 hours and when got to Doc my BP iwas weirdly low for me at 101/55. No white coating I was boggled. Doc said could do a holter for 24 hours to check what I am doing but am just checking morning and night now for a bit at home.

I was suspicious I had been too liberal with the salt on my liquid fast day. No expert here but there have been posts before about BP and recently too John I think but @caroees made some interesting comments on that thread, they had been on BP meds and I am not
29 Oct 2013, 22:48
Hi Lesley,

I don't think 5:2 diet could cause such hypertension. To be honest it should be the other way round.

There is a study examining effect of fasting on treatment of borderline hypertension. Diet prescribed in this study consisted of three phases:
- fasting period lasting for 1-2 days (food limited to fruits and vegetables)
- fasting period lasting for 13 days (only water)
- refeeding period for 6 days (low-fat, low-sodium, plant-based diet)

Results demonstrated reduction of systolic blood pressure by average 20mmHg & diastolic by 7mmHg. The greatest effect was observed for individuals with the highest starting blood pressure.
It was concluded that fasting is effective in normalising blood pressure.

Therefore, fasting itself should not cause elevated blood pressure.

Goldhamer AC, Lisle DJ, Sultana P, Anderson SV, Parpia B, Hughes B, Campbell TC (2002) Medically supervised water-only fasting in the treatment of borderline hypertension. J Altern Complement Med :8(5): 643-50.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12470446
30 Oct 2013, 06:19
Thank you all for your replies.

Hania. From that I can take it that it was nothing to do with this WOE then? That is really good news as this is working for me and I want to continue with it.

I will be having my blood pressure checked again in a months time so hopefully it will still be down. I have no idea why it was so high. One of life's mysteries!

I am sure my excellent blood test results are down to 5:2. I had two aims when starting 5:2. One was to lose weight and the other was health benefits. Looks like I have achieved both.

Thank again
Lesley. :heart:
30 Oct 2013, 08:53
From losing weight we get plenty of health benefits including improved blood pressure regulation;];]
Congratulations for achieving your goals!
30 Oct 2013, 10:21
I had borderline hypertension when I started this WOE. In two weeks all readings returned to normal.
7 posts Page 1 of 1