The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Investigations re hair loss showed I have low VitD levels, everything else is cool. Am pretty shocked as it's summer here. Don't really want to take supplements as believe my body ought to manufacture now I know I just need to adjust sun exposure and diet knowing diet's minimal effect. Have had a google and am now all mixed up.

Have taken the supplement today but was wondering about peeps experiences re their levels.
Very, very common, especially in the overweight because the fat mops up all the vitamin D. Even in summer it's hard to make enough unless you are outside a lot and don't use sunscreen. I take a supplement daily 25mcg. You might also be low in magnesium as it's need to absorb vitamin D
I get my vit D checked in Jul every year. Being in the middle of Winter it is always on the low side but it is never extremely low. What I do is (during Summer) go out every day for 10-15 mins and get some sun. I do not do it in the middle of the day. I do not wear sunscreen, or sunglasses, nor do I wear a hat. I just allow my skin to get some sun everyday. I can not take a vit D supplement as there is a worry that it may interfere with a medical condition that I am currently being treated for.

Here is some information from the National Health and Medical Research Council.

http://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/vitamin%20d.htm
Appreciate you replies @TheFrog @Carorees I don't wear sunscreen purposefully to max out the production of Vit D, I do go out in the sun without sunglasses say to put clothes on the line purposefully as well to get the natural light into my eyes. I fossick in the garden and am out walking hither and hither around town. It is a mystery to me. Have yogurt butter and cheese but minimal milk. Have salmon as preferred fish about fortnightly.

This will make me walk the dog more am sure as have had to be inside at the PC more than I care to be. No adverse to taking supplements but would stop if they muck up my own body's capacity to manufacture it. Obviously have to go and have a chat to my GP now but damn hate it when things come out of the blue especially when you try to be healthy and do the right things.

Does the mean I have to get my bone density checked. A couple of years ago my tests were excellent
Yes I was told I have low Vit D levels and was given some lovely chews to take twice a day over the winter. On being told I was low I discovered that a high percentage of people have Vit d deficiency.

I don't think the chews have made much difference

Bean :neutral:
nursebean wrote: Yes I was told I have low Vit D levels and was given some lovely chews to take twice a day over the winter. On being told I was low I discovered that a high percentage of people have Vit d deficiency.

I don't think the chews have made much difference

Bean :neutral:

I also take Vit D supplements and I can't say that I feel it's making a difference, but then it might not be something you're aware of? Have you had your levels checked again after supplementation @nursebean? :victory:
There's an interesting article here about the benefits of vitamin D supplementation: http://healthinsightuk.org/2013/11/16/w ... -vitamind/
I've taken a spoon of cod liver oil daily for years and I'm not adverse to a bit of sun. Despite that when I saw an endocrinologist about my thyroid a few years ago she accurately predicted that my vit D levels would be low - not drastically low but low. I use an under the tongue spray which is widely available in the UK in chemists and health food shops. There are 2 strengths for non pregnant adults. I started with the higher and now use the lower, blue, one. I think I have also heard that low levels may exacerbate SAD
http://www.betteryou.uk.com/Vitamin-D-112
As well as the fat saturation problem due to Vitamin D being fat soluble, the body gets less efficient as you get older at converting sunlight to Vit D. You can do all the right things and still have a problem. I've been taking supplements for a few years now. Incidently, after 3-4 months I started noticing new hair growth so hopefully you'll see the same results.
I take about 1400iu daily - 400 is in my calcium supplements, and I also take a 1000iu separate supplement.

If I don't take that much, my yearly physical shows low Vitamin D.
10 posts Page 1 of 1